I need sprocket advice.

Rocker_on_Rocket

Registered
I have been checking as many threads as I can on this but I still need more info / input....
Can you all help me?
I'm thinking of experimenting with a different front and / or rear sprocket size. I see different scenarios where people on the site have changed their front to a 16T or changed to a 16 - 41 or even a 16 - 43 and talk about added acceleration. In one case a member mentions that he sacrificed top speed when changing to like a 46 in the rear?
My question is, what would actually be a good combo to start out with? I want to gain acceleration and HP but I really don't want to lose top speed. I would like some advice from the masters on our beloved site. :bowdown:

Think of it like this....WHEN and HOW OFTEN do you get to top the bike out? Rarely I'm betting..sacrificing a few mph on the top end in exchange for getting there a lot faster is well worth it imo. Go up in the back as it is a lot less stress to the chain. Going down in the front makes the chain work so much harder. You can go up 3 in the rear on the stock chain which is just a hair more than going -1 on the front. The rear sprocket will cost you more but the cost is minimal compared to the cost of a new chain you'll need that much sooner after wearing it out with a smaller sprocket in the front. :beerchug: Going +3 in the rear will really wake the bike up in 1st-3rd gear...after that you're already at warp speed and probably won't feel/tell the difference. :laugh:

Also...go with a steel rear rather than a hardened aluminum - the steel will last 3x's longer. Driven makes steel rears for the Busa and Supersprox makes a hybrid (alum inner/steel outer teeth) sprocket for the best weight loss/tooth strength aspect. BOL on whatever you decide.

A 42 or 43 rear will make you smile. I have settled on a 42 for the most part and 39 for touring.

Rocker just put a 43t on the rear like i did and trust me. You will love it. Be carefull when you do cuz if your in 1st or 2nd gear around 5k and punch you will break the back tire loose like nothing. It is quite fun actually but is also dangerous:thumbsup:

Okay, I'm definitely listening! thanks Guys...thanks Vigor! I'm curious though as to how is it that you would lose MPH like the one thread I saw claimed. I'm assuming its just like a bicycle....less teeth on the small and more teeth on the large sprocket meant more speed but harder peddling at the start. More teeth on the small and less teeth on the larger sprocket meant easier pick up and peddling but less speed or in the case of a motorcycle, less MPH, right? So how come you lose speed (MPH) by increasing the teeth on the larger sprocket? The math doesn't add up according to the theory? Anyone can clarify this?

I'm on my 6th busa and I have tried a number of sprockets. I have settled on a 43T rear with stock 17T front. It's about the best combination for street riding I have found. Wakes the big girl up yet scrafices little if any on the top end.

JT sprockets also makes steel sprockets for your ride.

Supersprox STEALTH Tri-Metal 530 Rear Sprocket - MARCHESINI/BST Wheels - Sprocket Center

DSCN3939.JPG

how much harder does the chain work on a 16t? I understand the physics...but how much does it really affect?

I just changed mine to a 16t...it is what i had and did not want to spend $90 for a new rear sprocket.

Did I just break a Cardinal Rule on sprocket swaps?

When it is time to get a new chain should I swap out all sprockets to 17-42 to get close to the same?

...or is this just another personal preference item?

I would go 17-43 and get used to that, it alone is a HUGE diffrence, another thing you have to think about is you MPG i drive back and forth to work and have noticed a bit of a diffrence in my MPG due to this, if you travel a short distance then it wont matter, your RPM's are allot higher when in 1st and 2nd with the 43 on then you would be with stock, i have the 16 for the fron and haven't changed it yet, the 43 was a big diffrence alone.

a 16 in the front is like 43 in the back, your not going to be hitting you top end very offten so i wouldn't really worry about that unless your trying to break speed records. my opinion i would go with a 17-43 to start and see if you like that, and if you still want more low end then get the 16, My tire breaks loose everytime i crack it open, very easy to do a ROLLING BURNOUT. let us know what ya do!!!

I dont know, I have the stock gears and I am very happy. Wheelies in 1st and 2nd and 3rd with no problem and still has plenty of top end. Mabye just add more HP and leave the gears alone? I know old school rule of thumb was always adding 1 tooth in the fron is the same as adding 2 theeth to the rear. Just my 2 cents. Good luck. :thumbsup:

I myself from reading some other threads was going to go 16 - 41. However, seeing from the replies and what the pros and cons are discussed here, it sounds like front 17T stock and 43T on the rear is the way to go. I'm going to put my money aside for that and see if I do it now or later when I do the other mods I want to do which will be in another year. I'm planning on getting the Vance and Hines 4 - 2 headers, GBC6 from boostby smith and the speedohealer. The sprocket isn't that costly so maybe I'll get it done in 4 weeks and wait for the rest. Thanks for all your help with this! I want to get the most out of my bike without doing a big engine mod or NOS or turbo and still have a very quick, intimidating Busa to be reckoned with! I appreciate all the support you guys have given and keep giving! I'm truly happy to be a part of this giant Busa family!:beerchug:

i went 17 front 43 rear and I love it. I also have a 16 front that i was hesistant 2 use withe the 43 rear but next time that is the route i will go

17/43 Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Gearing Ratio Sprocket RPM Speed Chain Calculator
there is very usefull tool on this website that will show you the results of you gear,chain,tire changes rpm ranges ect ect...worth taking a look at it...with the 17/43 I still pass all of the gsxrs,zx10's, and r1's so how much more top end do u need?

I agree, I run 17/43 and even use that ratio for prolonged multi-day tours, including droning along the interstate for hours. For example, on June 5th, I'm leaving Reno, crossing the Sierras and heading all the way down the Cali coast on Hwy 1. My rear wheel is currently off, I have 40, 42 and 43t rears I could put on and I choose 43! Raydog

P1010334.JPG

P1010338.JPG

Back