I need help with paint color

02bluebusa

Registered
I am going to get my bike painted but I'm not good with color matching and have no idea where to start.
How do you guys come up with colors and ideas for your paint? I am thinking of doing one or two colors to keep price down. Any help?

Troll the car dealerships and find a color you like. If it is new, get the name of the color off the sticker. If not get the make model and year of the car.

Take that info to whoever is painting and they can match it

Your painter can mix just about any color you find. Some really neat colors are 3 stage instead of 2 stage. Instead of base coat and clear, they are base coat, mid coat and clear. I'd think long and hard before picking one of the 3 stages just because they are really hard to match if you ever need a touchup or repair. If you are going to all this trouble, consider also painting some additional things like inner fairing panels or some of the brackets. Be sure to post up some pics!

Yeah I was going to have the inners done. My thing is, I don't want everything to be one solid color. I feel it will be to much, I also don't want to just start painting odd things and then when its done it looks like azz. There are some colors I (think) I like but only have seen them on the net and not in person. I have a hard time imagining what the bike would look like in a color i like then trying to come up with a cheap way to break up the color. Also I have to think about graphics :(

OEM colors here >> ColorRite Motorcycle Paint

I've used them many times for exact color matching. As far as the inners go, I have had this done several times too. Pay someone to sand them right, smooth them, then match them to the bike. It makes the bike look amazing. If you are going all new colors then of course it doesn't matter, but get a good painter. Kenny Dean here in Fredericksburg, VA is one of the best, and well worth his cost. He has done many award winning bikes and cars, and trucks, and many have been featured in magazines. His business is Razor Graphics, Fredericksburg, VA. Good luck!

P.

Go to a paint supply / auto body shop and check out the chip books...saltwater fish have some cool color patterns...if you go to a store look at the nail polish....any decent shop should be able to mix up the correct formula. The drawback of a cool paint job is if you get a scratch the repair may be painting the whole panel...any race car f1 / pro drag cars usually have elaborate color schemes. In addition to the paint work there are many films / tape / vinyl that can add dramatic effect...

Go to a paint supply / auto body shop and check out the chip books...saltwater fish have some cool color patterns...if you go to a store look at the nail polish....any decent shop should be able to mix up the correct formula. The drawback of a cool paint job is if you get a scratch the repair may be painting the whole panel...any race car f1 / pro drag cars usually have elaborate color schemes. In addition to the paint work there are many films / tape / vinyl that can add dramatic effect...

Yes this is what I was thinking but I didn't know if I could do that or if it would look any good. If I have the bike painted and then add vinyl graphics it would be a lot cheaper (or at least I would think)

I used House of Colors on my and just added a ton of metal flake. No custom mix so its easy to match the color if something needs to be repainted
2air0hu.jpg

Any color you can add mica / pearl ....flake to....think of a car that looks black at night but in the day / full sun it is a different color...that is the face / flop of the fancy pigments...if you spray an interference layer over the base coat it adds a dramatic effect...like a bright red mustang or a pearl white caddy...what color are the panels now...you can work off that...add some accent design or clean the heck out of it an respray the whole deal...the hard part is picking the color scheme

so a good wash... scuff...seal...primer..color...clear...sand clear...sand buff......pay the bill

as a paint/body tech myself i can tell you that your best off going to a paint supplier and looking through color books to get an idea of what you want. they have samples from every paint manufacture.

Back