I need help with my steering dampner.

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
I took the front fender off to have easy access to the dampner. I got the allen bolt out, and I am trying to get the 14mm nut off the other end. The ball joint turns and will not allow the nut to come loose. How can I back up the bolt to get it off. Now I am stuck, I cant loosen or tighten the nut back up. Help!

Ok, sorry guys. I didnt see the slot for the open end wrench because of the protective rubber boot. I am idiot........tell all your friends.

You need to use a open end wrench to hold the stud...rotate the nut so you can see where to put the wrench on the stud
cool.gif

Thanks BA. Its done now and put back together. The bars seem to be a bit tighter now. I will have to ride it to see if there is a difference. I used a 10/40 oil, and if I understood a post that the Professor made, the weight is 10. Still better than the 5 that was in it.

Damper...no "n"...most people go with 90w gear oil when they change it out
beerchug.gif

dampner?? waiting for the angry comment... anyone?
Ok bro, lay it on me! Steering Stabilizer?
fight.gif
hello.gif
lol, just playing... seen some angry replies in the past. funny stuff.

ya like ba said, 90w oil should do. i got myself some gear oil from amsoil (75W) but it's viscosity is rated just as high as other 90w on the market.

i'm probably gonna do that mod next week or so... have had the oil for a while just no time to play around.

thinking of doin it with 50 or 75 on my days off. I don't want it too stiff. seems like a popular mod to do. gettin' ready for Eureka Springs saturday. (twotonevert, have you took her on a testride yet, or is it still raining?) curious how much difference it made.

i just used 30w but i will be going up to 40w or the 90...30 is definately not enough imo

PB, we took it out tonight for dinner, not long enough for a good ride, but seems just a tad bit less play in the bars, hope its not just imagination. I think I will get some heavier oil and change it again. Thanks for the comments guys, I love doing my own wrenching anyway. Once you get it done a time or two, its no prob. The steering damper(Sam!  
beerchug.gif
) is not that bad, but it was a lot easier to access once you remove the fender. I need to find more time to do some other little things, wire my radar detector and raise the rear one more inch. Getting ready for Eureka!

Ok, sorry guys. I didnt see the slot for the open end wrench because of the protective rubber boot. I am idiot........tell all your friends.
....and instead of a cotter pin,
I used an appropriate sized zip-tie, through the hole on that threaded stud, just in case I didn't quite get it tight enough.

I used 90w too, but I see an OEM mount, "Active" HyperPro damper in my future.

i just did this also used the 90 and wow what a difference it made i think my oil must have been wore out

i just did the 40w but have yet to test ride. i will this weekend, but i can tell it's tighter.

i only found 80/90 gear oil, not straight 90...in case i go up to the higher gear oil...

Back