I need help from the smartest kawasaki engine tech for my gravely pro master z 148

mynewride

Registered
Hello guys and gals,

I have a gravely PM148Z zero turn mower. (model 992043 i believe) On said mower I have a factory kawasaki FH641V-AS25 Engine. The problem is tha the engine seems to have a problem with misfires at high idle. It has new plugs (about 30hrs on them), new air filters, fresh oil this season. Carb has been cleaned several times and it is clean every time except for a lot of oil in the breather from the crankcase ventillation.

This is where my prolbem lies i believe. I think that the oil is slowly getting sucked into the high idle air jets and not allowing the air to mix properly with the gas. The engine is getting tired i believe. it has about 2000 hours on it and freshly adjusted valves. I did that last night to eliminate it as a potential problem. I am trying to decide if it will be worth it to rebuild the current engine or just get a new one. I found a different model on flea bay brand new for 899 shipped. Its a little more power and top of the line from kaw.

Now for the real question, how hard would it be to affix a newer FX651-DS02 engine to my mower. Provided the output shaft is the right diameter and length. The governer looks different on the newer engine as well as the attachment point for the throttle cable. I would love it if somebody on here happened to be a tech that could verify the length and size of the 2 shafts.

I have called the local dealer and they can not answer my questions. If somebody knows somebody that I can call please drop me a pm
thanks

Re: I need help from the smartest kawasaki engine tech for my gravely pro master z 14

eBay listing for FX651-DS02 engine shows it with a 1 1/8" CRANKSHAFT THAT IS 4 3/8" LONG.

Re: I need help from the smartest kawasaki engine tech for my gravely pro master z 14

I wouldn't want a Kawasaki engine, all of the big (& heavy) ZX 14's usually throw a rod right out of the block when getting tuned on the dyno, too dangerous. We won't even put a Kawi on the dyno anymore.
You need help selling it and getting a Suzuki or Honda or something. :laugh:

I wouldn't want a Kawasaki engine, all of the big (& heavy) ZX 14's usually throw a rod right out of the block when getting tuned on the dyno, too dangerous. We won't even put a Kawi on the dyno anymore.
You need help selling it and getting a Suzuki or Honda or something. :laugh:

You Funny Guy!

Update: Engine has good compression 75 lbs in right cylinder and 69 lbs in the left (57 lbs min in service manual and no optimal listed). My breather problem was not the culprit. I have sealed it off and let the crankcase breathe to atmosphere. Cleaned the Carb and let her scream at high idle. 15 min later it starts misfireing again. So its not mechanical. I did some quick looking last night and found that the fuel pump is a bladder type pump and it is vented into the crankcase. Problem with this is that if the bladder gets a leak it will pump fuel into the oil and pressurize the crankcase. I am ordering a new fuel pump today. If this is not the problem, then I guess I will try the coil packs next. After that, I have no idea where to go.

I saw that engine on ebay and am still eyeing it. I just dont have that kind of money right now. I just dont want to blow a bunch of money fixing up something that is not worth fixing, but after last night I believe that the engine is mechanically ok.

It isnt vented to the crank case....the fuel pump that is....It uses pressure from the crank case to turn the fuel pump. If you are getting popping etc from the motor it sounds like you may have an intake leak. Spray some carb cleaner around the intake right at the gasket block side. If the idle changes you obviously have bad gasket. Also make sure plugs are gapped correctly. the kawa motors seem sensitive to that for some reason. Check the obvious stuff? Fuel pump, fuel filter, air filter? Also a weak ground will sometimes cause this as well. The cyl that has the lower comp whats the plug look like? Is it clean or blackish? Might be throwing a little oil out that cyl causing the miss.

plugs are good. color is light brown. gap is good. new air filters, fuel filter, new gaskets on carb. no leaks there already checked.

to give you an idea of what it sounds like...imagine when your mower is just starting to run out of gas, that is the sound it makes. but it starts right up after it cools and runs normal for about 10-15 min. I was informed today from my local shop that the plastic tip on the fuel shut off solonoid sometimes cracks and moves over the hole partially blocking the fuel to the main jets. it will have a new fuel pump tomorrow if this does not fix it. they did not have one in stock today, but will recieve a shipment tomorrow. I will also run a leak down test tonight or tomorrow morning. uggh, a new engine would be so much easier

I have had a John Deere lawn tractor with a Kawasaki engine, a LX176, for over 20 years. The engine got tired last year, and I replaced it with a new JD. All of the attachments I had for the LX176 would not fit on the new tractor, so I rebuilt the old one and will use it for snow removal and work around the yard. I bought a new piston, gasket set, new connecting rod , had the crankshaft welded and ground, replaced the valves. Runs like a new one and I spent a little under $400.

Back