I may be dropping the hammer today...The Audi Saga continues.

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Some of you have been keeping up with my guage cluster issue.:banghead:

I started the removal yesterday. Step 1. Get anti theft code for stereo,audi stereo's can stop working even if you just disconnect the battery.???

Online removal instuctions say go to your manual,it(code) will be listed there. Nope,torn out by previous paranoid owner. Who would want to steal a stock audi deck.:rofl: Step 2. No code in book,call dealership....Oh good god.:down: On line instructions say dealer will provide free,just need vin #. Call dealer,no they say,we need vin,proof of I.D. and serial number from stereo. Can you hear Rubb start to boil.:cursin: OK,fine I'll take out that POS stereo(came with cassette) LOL and 6 disc changer. Dealer wants 2 hrs labour to remove. 2hrs? I get out my removal sticks,do they work...nope.

Why? Because the keys I have used for 20+ years are useless here. I need special audi keys. Keys that apparantly even in the hands of a skilled audi tech may still not work. If you break the inside tabs,yer screwed. And audi has done this before.Then the have to use the caveman approach for removal and buy you a new deck. :crowbar:

I will hit my buddy's stereo shop today,borrow the keys,and tempt fate.

If that fails,House Mouse gets a new stereo...perhaps one even a little more modern,one that even has a CD player.:rofl:

Pics to follow...stereo in hand, or...hammer in hand. hehehehe.

Everyone,please take a knee and pray for me. :please: LOL.

Rubbah-MALLET. NOt one,but two different keys needed,one for each side.

keys.jpg

Is the radio that great? For the most part I have always pulled out stock speakers and head unit...even replaced / re-ran wires...for a few hundred you can get a nice pioneer big touch screen deal...or any other brand. Sometimes before calling the dealer take a few deep breaths...it will prolong the rise in blood pressure

If planning on trading in the near future, I'd keep the stock stereo.

I've been browsing Cayennes and Land Rover Discoveries. If I see an aftermarket stereo I automatically move on...won't even consider it.

Got the head unit out.:thumbsup: The only damage I did was to the cassette inerds. Oops. :laugh: The thing was so stuck in there,I had to do a little prying:crowbar:

So now I have the "Allmighty and Powerfull" anti theft code. Big fuggin' deal. :moon:

RSD.

Why is a stock radio so important

Some buyers wont even look at a vehicle that has been messed with. I'm sorta like that to a certain extent. You roll up on a car or truck for sale and the 18 year old kid owner wants to show you the head unit screwed in under the dash, 6X9's cut into door panels you can see light thru and a homemade 12" sub box before he even pops the hood. ???

Some people customize the krap outa everything and then wonder why people walk away,especially with high end vehicles. I like to buy things stock....

then fug them up myself. :laugh:

Rubbah.

Car lots also prefere to take stock vehicles in on trade. EXAMPLE: You jack up yer 4X4 up to the moon and that has "bush-beatin'" written all over it. It also says front end on its last legs,steering box hooped,universals about to fail,steering pump over taxed.etc etc. A totally stock truck say's "Granpa used this to go up to the lake every weekend".

RSD.

Back