I love riding without a Helmet...Wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's directed at everyone that is being a class-A hypocrite. We're riding a 200hp death machine and we're preaching to people about wearing helmets? The audacity of some of you to suggest that what you're doing is somehow safe because you strap a shell on your head, it's just hilarious. Reducing risk is one thing, but some of you act as if you're defying death simply because you wear a helmet.

Don't know about you but when I put a helmet on and go 200 I'm bulletproof and impervious. Totally safe. :laugh:

Safety first you know.....wouldnt want to split me melon eh mate ?
Funny_Helmet__4.jpg

Mines is DOT, FDA and USDA approved ! :stoopid:

Almost all motorcycle deaths are a result of head and or chest trama. I personally could care less if you wear a helmet, back or chest protector but it simply makes sense if you can protect your noggin to a certain degree with a helmet it will lower your chances of a deadly crash?

Another way of looking at it is, a crash without a helmet is rarely injury free.

I wear my helmet. I went down and slid on the face shield of my full face helmet at less than 35 mph. Not much to lose, but don't need that kind of modification or pain involved.

Funny.... "we are all smart" ????? Then why so many rude responses??? Surely smart people would give me a fully argued and reasoned response?? Not insults:whistle:

This thread was started by YOU for one reason. To start a debate. Not everyone is going to support you decision. I sure as hell am not.

Right now your just another squid in my book looking for a fight. What did you think people were going to say? Wow, your my hero for not wearing a lid!!!?

Go troll somewhere else.

Last edited:
Living in Texas I have the "luxury" of choosing whether to wear my helmet or not and I must say that most often I do not... I love the feeling it gives me,,the lack of restriction of vision and the feeling of being at one with my bike...My helmet just seems to rob me of this.... Thought Guys???

After reading the entire thread, I will offer up my opinion on the OP's question.

It is nice to have the choice to wear a helmet or not. I think most adults have the capability to make an informed decision on the ramifications of that decision. For me, I occasionally ride my bikes without wearing a helmet and realize what could be the outcome. Do I commute on I-95 in the HOV lane without a helmet? Heck no! Do I cruise the main drag at Bike Week, Biketoberfest, Leesberg, etc. without a helmet? Yes, sometimes. Do I ride to the store occasionally or just around the block? Yes. It's all about informed choice. Do I slam someone for their choices when they differ from mine? No. Do I think the OP is a sea creature for posting this up? No, I think it's just a new member getting their feet wet and trying to start some dialogue.

Should we have the choice? I believe we should with the understanding that there may be negative results based on our decisions. In Florida there are insurance requirements for not wearing a helmet but they are ridiculously low, $10K coverage but we all know a day or two in an ICU trauma unit will chew that up.

Some people get bent out of shape if you don't agree with them, choose the same equipment, wear the said equipment as they deem required, etc...It's sad but it is the internet. Freedom of choice is beautiful but there are consequences to those choices! Peace!

Debate as defined by Dictionary.com

I don't see "name calling" anywhere in this definition.

de·bate   /dɪˈbeɪt/ Show Spelled
[dih-beyt] Show IPA
noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
–noun
1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints: a debate in the Senate on farm price supports.
2. a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.
3. deliberation; consideration.

So for this and every other thread on this board, please behave like a:

grown-up   /ˈgroʊnˈʌp/ Show Spelled
[grohn-uhp]

–adjective
1. having reached the age of maturity.
2. characteristic of or suitable for adults: grown-up behavior; grown-up fiction.

Debate as defined by Dictionary.com

I don't see "name calling" anywhere in this definition.

de·bate   /dɪˈbeɪt/ Show Spelled
[dih-beyt] Show IPA
noun, verb, -bat·ed, -bat·ing.
–noun
1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints: a debate in the Senate on farm price supports.
2. a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.
3. deliberation; consideration.

So for this and every other thread on this board, please behave like a:

grown-up   /ˈgroʊnˈʌp/ Show Spelled
[grohn-uhp]

–adjective
1. having reached the age of maturity.
2. characteristic of or suitable for adults: grown-up behavior; grown-up fiction.

Natural selection will run its course no matter what. Some folks just aren't meant to survive.

I do find it quite amazing though how many folks (including me) have had a bad fall and had a helmet save their life....I suppose it just shows how well helmets do their job if you choose to wear one :thumbsup:

just because I choose to ride helmetless sometimes does not make me one of these:lol:
I think my above post could end up applying to you. I hope not though :thumbsup: But I've never once knocked you're right to go without a helmet......I knocked the fact you came on here asking our opinions and then got upset with the answers. Like GMBusa said, this topic wasn't really a very good question to ask (kinda pointless actually).....unless you were trolling :laugh: If you're going to ride without a helmet you just do it and take your chances, or you don't. You know the risks. Whats there to ask about? :whistle:

Vonderbach seems to have it in his head that everybodies telling you if you wear a helmet its like a force field that will protect you from all harm. He needs to read the posts more carefully. Everybodies just saying that a helmet will protect the most fragile part of your body during a wreck, and greatly increase the odds of you surviving.

I have an interesting story. I started street riding at 16, and took a few spins without a helmet and liked it. But my state had a helmet law (which I didn't like) so on the helmet had to go. And at 21 I had a drunk driver come into my lane on a 2 lane road around a corner and hit me head on at highway speed. I managed to survive, but only because of my helmet, and as you can imagine even then I was pretty jacked up. Good thing young folks heal well :laugh: But the only reason I was wearing my helmet was because it was a state law. Otherwise back then I wouldn't have been either. But I have a wonderful wife, 2 wonderful grown kids, grandkids on the way eventually, lots and LOTS of riding, and just generally tons of joy I never would have experienced if I would have been able to make my choice and not wear that helmet. I don't believe in giving up rights, but a helmet law gave me something very very special :bowdown: If not for that state law I could have become a victim of natural selection myself. I think there could be other rights that could be worse to lose then the choice of wearing a helmet or not. Just my opinion :beerchug:

To sum it up, if your state gives you the choice, like I stated earlier, I'm fine with you or anybody else using that choice to not wear a helmet :thumbsup: It is your choice. Everybody just needs to weigh the risk vs rewards for them I suppose. I can say I'm glad my son never had the choice though in our state, because I love him too much to lose him to something as simple as no helmet, and sometimes young folks don't always see things quite the same (safe?) (sane?) lol way as us "slightly" more mature folks do :laugh:

no helmet law in indiana either...and more often then not..i choose to not wear one

This thread was started by YOU for one reason. To start a debate. Not everyone is going to support you decision. I sure as hell am not.

Right now your just another squid in my book looking for a fight. What did you think people were going to say? Wow, your my hero for not wearing a lid!!!?

Go troll somewhere else.

And yet you're the one that's hurling insults. Why can't you just be civil?

Seems like the guy who wears the least amount of gear when riding w/ us, is the one who goes down. Lack of experience on riding and safety all in one shot.

I always wear track boots, chest & back protector under an armored leather jacket, helmet, knee armor, and gauntlet gloves w/ wrist protection... Looking into getting some armored pants. Of course, I can ride the crap outta my bike and do so. I'm not a straight line nightly "highway rider", I'm not a "bike night queen", I'm not a "shore squid", I'm not a "parkinglot stunter"... I'm a Busa rider.

Last edited:
I suppose there will always be a few people who believe they are holier then thou and there for always right and closed minded and have the right to tell others what to do and how to live and because some one does`nt always agree it becomes ok to slam or insult others.

I suppose there will always be a few people who believe they are holier then thou and there for always right and closed minded and have the right to tell others what to do and how to live and because some one does`nt always agree it becomes ok to slam or insult others.
Read the thread title... he asked for it man.
Do what you like, bla bla bla... But he wants other's opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back