I love riding without a Helmet...Wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 years ago i split an arai clear in half front to back and had a severe sever concussion even with the helmet on. Gloves and helmet everytime i get on. Jacket from time to time i go without, or will wear my vest, i wear jeans and most of the time shoes. I know what the asphalt feels like at very high rates of speed. It is what it is, been there done that. Rash and bones heal i dont even have many scars from my get off. Head i dont play with.

Its an interesting situation. You're taught to care about your fellow man, especially friends, but then those same fellow men and friends will take the ultimate risks by getting on a superbike without a helmet, and tell you its their right and you shouldn't care. So should we or shouldn't we? Do you just say "its your right so whatever" and let sh*t happen? And how many of us would be alright with "its your right so whatever" when your friend or even a stranger without a helmet dies in your arms, and you know it didn't have to happen? A persons death always affects more than just them....I think we all know that. GSXcite put it pretty well I think :beerchug: I don't think its quite as simple as "its my right so leave me alone about it". There's always a bigger picture if you stand back for a second to take a look :thumbsup:

Who cares? Me

Is it their decision? Absolutely, but I hope they make the best decision and wear a helmet.

Are they hurting me. Yes, it hurts me alot when I see a member killed or injured riding his or her bike. Will gear save you everytime, no. we lost a very special person on this board a couple of years ago, and myself as well as many others still hurt everyday because of the loss, and he wore all his gear all the time. He was one of the best riders I have ever ridden with, with over 45 years experience, but a freak thing happened and he is gone. You can't make motorcycle riding 100% safe, but you can make it safer with gear. I just can't buy into any arguement that it is safer without a helmet, can't see, can't hear bla bla bla.

If this makes me a gear Nazis, I'll wear that title with pride!

Hope you all get the best helmet you can afford, and wear it every time you get on the bike, even if it's just to go up the block to the store.

Sorry, but I'm confused here.

I'm very sorry for your loss, but your friend was wearing a helmet, yes?

Whenever we ride, we take a risk.

If a person decides to take the extra risk of not wearing a helmet, and he/she has appropriate medical insurance (a requirement in some states?), how is that hurting you?

I always wear a helmet, and if my kids rode, they would wear a helmet. I see people riding without a helmet, and yes it annoys me.

However, why do we have to dictate to other people what they can/can't wear/use?

They are adults, and have made their decision. No amount of gory pictures will change their mind. If they can do it legally, they will.

Helmets are compulsory here in Australia. Now and again, I will ride around the block sans-helmet after washing the bike...it feels great!

Would I ride the Bus without a helmet normally? No.

I'm just surprised at the response from many of you....is the US not the 'land of the free'?

:bowdown:

The big O has you covered now!

And you are welcome for my financial contribution to everyone's upcomming "free health care"
I always ride with a full face on--regardless of the speed, a fall with head impact will result in severe injury or death. If you survive a head smack, you may wish you had died! FWIW, I wouldn't care if anyone else didn't wear a helmet, so long as there was a law that did not allow for your medical coverage in the event of a crash. Lie there, suffer, and or die, while not ringing up bills the rest of us will have to cover!

If we're going to exempt non-helmet riders from medical care, then we should include all motocrcycles riders since they too are a far bigger drain on our tax dollars and insurance premiums than someone in a cage.

I'm just surprised at the response from many of you....is the US not the 'land of the free'?

not really buddy. and its because of the "i know what is best for you.' mentality. people feel they must push thier "beliefs" on others through changing and making new laws to restrict the freedom of the people.
they use excuses like "it cost money" or based on bias studys that are pumped out to strenkethen the opinion of the ones paying for the studys.

well :poke:no where in my constution does it say "your free unless it cost money!"

point of order- the people at smarter.org are not our friends!!! they are moving and have moved in the past to not only push a national helmet law, but also superbike bans, hp restriction, and on and on.

how many studys would yall like links to on motorcycles and helmets? i have a couple dozen:whistle: and everyone says something different.
one of the craziest arguements i ever got into was how helmets prevent accidents. prevent accidents? :laugh:

and heres a fun fact for yall= it is illegal to wear a helmet in a car truck or other enclosed vehicle (in my and most states) because.........wait for it............it impedes your hearing and vison:whistle:
its law..i swear!:lol:

i have alot of harley ridin friends that would never wear a helmet. but, yes theres a but, they ride differently than most of us. most of them rarely see 100mph, and most have never reached 150mph rather less burned twards the almighty 200mph. they ride much slower, barely if ever breaking the speed limit. in a state with fewer people than almost any "big city".

i realize most of us on here are atgatt, but we didn't start out that way. it took some wipein out for me. and im still more about the leather than pushin helmet use. i would encourage rider training over manditory helmet laws. i don't like the false sence of security a helmet gives some folks. example= your ridin down the freeway and pass a harley fella doin the speed limit with no helmet but leathered up in a jacket and chaps gloves, youve all seen these guys, and then a kid on a cbr comes flyin by ridin a wheelie in shorts, sneekers, t-shirt flappin in the wind, but hes wearin his helmet...like that makes it all better. now what makes more sence? who's taking the bigger risk? and why is it my concern? neither wrecked, why should i care?
they are both enjoying a sport i live for, and doing it in thier own way.
to each his own.
for me it's a freedom issue. i would rather see us united in the fight for freedom than devided by the helmet issue.

"wear as much gear as your ego allows." :thumbsup:

:rant:

If we're going to exempt non-helmet riders from medical care, then we should include all motocrcycles riders since they too are a far bigger drain on our tax dollars and insurance premiums than someone in a cage.

or they could just ban motorcycles all together! they have tried and are still trying to legislate us out of existance.
Chicago seeks bike ban
BIG BEND BIKERS FOR FREEDOM: MRF -Motorcycle Riders Foundation Regulator update

it's not just helmet laws! thats just the tip of the burg.

:poke: i have really liked what you have said in this discution Vonderbach.:thumbsup:

I would not be here today with out that helmet. I wrecked really bad at expressway speed and was out of work for a year. The helmet for sure saved my life. I really hope that people that don't wear a helmet start doing so I can't stress that enough. In the end its a personal choice. Many have said the same things as I have and people will never listen. Ill tell you this I never thought that day was the I would go down, you never know. Ride safe.

:bowdown:

The big O has you covered now!

And you are welcome for my financial contribution to everyone's upcomming "free health care"

You and me both buddy...Free....yeah right!

BTW, if you happen to be in the USAF, what I said is what will happen. The military will not cover your medical coverage, and if you happen to die, they will not pay out for your medical bills, but they will hold your feet to the fire to pay the bills! Its called a "line of duty determination." Pretty strong arm twisting from the USAF to ensure that your integrity is intact even when riding off base!

Each unto their own. But i do not know of any of my mates who ride bikes that have not had an off at some point or another. You can still function with a broken leg or even a limb missing to some degree. But your swede controls everything your body does, you have to give it maximum protection. Sure glad i had a helmet when my accident happened.

If a person decides to take the extra risk of not wearing a helmet, and he/she has appropriate medical insurance (a requirement in some states?), how is that hurting you?

I always wear a helmet, and if my kids rode, they would wear a helmet. I see people riding without a helmet, and yes it annoys me.

However, why do we have to dictate to other people what they can/can't wear/use?

They are adults, and have made their decision. No amount of gory pictures will change their mind. If they can do it legally, they will.

Helmets are compulsory here in Australia. Now and again, I will ride around the block sans-helmet after washing the bike...it feels great!

Ya, this is the land of liberty and freedom. But we extend that same freedom to the Deer and have not succeeded yet to train them looking left and right before they cross the road. And they are everywhere and free, just like we are. :laugh:

This thread is getting way too serious.:whistle:

I won't lie. I love the feeling of riding w/o a helmet, but will I.. No.. And for some reason only feel more comfortable on a cruiser w/o one. On the busa, I feel more with the bike w/ it on. It's weird.. Yea I know... Maybe the cruiser has a windsheild that keeps the wind out my face. So I DO understand the feeling, but for me personally.. I rock my lid so I don't get rocked w/o it.

Yes Don ALWAYS wore all of his gear. The point I tried to make is even if you have years of experience riding,and wear all of your gear all of the time, there are still so many factors you can't control. If you choose to not wear a helmet, I'm all for your right to do so, I just hope our members make a better decision in my opinion.

This boy wud never ride without one ever!!!!!! I wud be dead now if i wasnt wearing one when i lightly fell..(20-30 KPH slide,gearing down into first on semi wet road).
Just my .02 cents. 53 years old here.

While I would never ride without a helmet I think helmet laws violate our rights. I also believe natural selection should be allowed to run its course:whistle:

AGATT rider says: Look at those crazy squids riding without helmets, they're just stupid!

Compact Car Driver says: Look at those crazy bikers riding fast with no doors and no roof, they're stupid!

Sedan driver says: Look at those idiot compact car drivers, driving that death trap! They're sto stupid.

Pickup Truck driver says: Look at those car drivers sitting so low to the ground, they're so stupid.

Hummer driver says.......

You get the point. We all take relative risks. For each of us there is a point at which those risks exceed our desire for fun. That point differs from person to person. But the fact remains, we're all doing dangerous things and we all find it quite entertaining. If we worried about safety 24/7, I don't think we would leave our beds.

What excuses do you have for being rude:moon:

Are you serious? This isn't some Harley forum. We all are smart and wear our gear. Use your head, wear a helmet. My life also was saved this year on July18 from wearing a fullface lid. The cheap beanie lids are not helmets either.

Are you serious? This isn't some Harley forum. We all are smart and wear our gear. Use your head, wear a helmet. My life also was saved this year on July18 from wearing a fullface lid. The cheap beanie lids are not helmets either.

Funny.... "we are all smart" ????? Then why so many rude responses??? Surely smart people would give me a fully argued and reasoned response?? Not insults:whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back