I love my brother, but I hate him sometimes...

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
Here's my rant/story...

So, most of you know this, but I'll bring others up to date of my 2 wrecks...

Wreck 1: 9:30pm in september of 2004. About 3 mths after I started riding. As I'm completing a left hand turn, car turns left in front of me, about 10 ft away. No time to stop. It was the fault of the 16 yr old on the cell phone talking to her 4 friends in the car. Illegal, by the way, to have friends in the car if you're 16 and it's dark out. I recover, get back on 2 wheels...

After 2 other bikes, get a Busa. Take the HD Riders Edge Experienced riders course, pass with flying colors. The dealer was talking with me about sponsorship to become a HD instructor, but I couldn't cause of the job I had... Class wise, I have more experience than my brother and Dad combined, as neither have any MSF classes.
On top of that, I buy NUMEROUS books on riding technique to perfect both on the street and, when I make it, track riding. More book knowledge than both combined.

Wreck 2: April 22, 2007. My friend Brittany was on back (She was fine. By the grace of God, she only had the wind knocked out of her). I remember checking the speedo before entering the turn... 35 in a 45 turn... Bike got squirrelly, tried to save it... Don't remember the wreck itself... Woke up in the ambulance and passing out... Woke up in the hospital, VERY dillusional, cussed out a nurse and the doctor (remember this, but It's like I was watching myself and had no control)... Apparently told my brother I was going too fast... I wasn't.
Talk to the State Trooper who arrived on scene about a month later (He ended up on vacation and other stuff), and he said he wished he didn't have to write me a ticket, as I really wasn't at fault, but since it's a single vehicle accident, he couldn't avoid it. Apparently people wreck on that turn on Rt.250 all the time. It was thrown out of court, as the officer was telling the judge he saw no reason I was at fault.

Now for my brothers piece...
Before I learned to ride, my brother hit a patch of gravel and wrecked. Thought he broke his arm and a few other bones, but turned out ok.

Fast forward to today (and a few conversations in between like this with him and my Dad against me)... Told him I'll hopefully be getting another bike on the road soon. He says "Yeah, THATS a good idea..." I ask why, and he brings up my wrecks. I then brought up his wreck. "Well that was in my first 3 mths! It's different!" I tell him it's not, that I wrecked this past time on gravel that was the same color as the road (State Trooper told me this), and I was going under the speedlimit, and he says that I claimed to be speeding. I said, "Oh, thats smart. Take a statement from a highly dillusional individual", to which he shrugs his shoulders. I then said "And my first wreck was completely unavoidable! She pulled out maybe 10 ft in front of me! And it was my first 3 mths..." Then he wanted to change the subject. I guess he knew I was right, but he's too hard headed to admit it... I don't know.

Funny thing is, he won't trust me on a motorcycle, but he trusts me with 4 high powered guns of his... He loaned me his Desert Eagle, a .223 pistol, AK47, Mosin Nagant, and his .22 pistol... The logic doesn't work for me... I'm not trustworthy with a motorcycle, but the guns I am... Don't get me wrong, I've got training and booksmarts on gun use too, but it just boggles me...

Anyway, to those that took time to read this LONG rant, thanks... I needed to vent.
cursin.gif
rant.gif

I think he is worried for your safety more than anything.

BTW 99% of crashes are preventable.

The more experienced riders constantly are looking for and avoiding "bad situations". The key is situational awareness and the ability to identify a bad situation before you become part of it.

Most riders at sometime or another experienced the same situations which contributed to the two crashes you were involved in. If not... they will.

Cagers violating a motorcycles right of way and failing to, or poor surface assessment are two of the top causation factors in motorcycle crashes.

Two things you can do.
Avoid conversations on the topic with him.
Or
Tell him no matter what he says, riding motorcycles is something you are going to do and nothing he says will change your mind. Try to put the subject to bed.
I prefer the frontal assault

I had the same problem with a very good friend (non rider) I finally got in his azz about it. He realized nothing he said would change my way off life and he never mentioned it again. (he knew i was getting pissed off)

Good luck,
ride your own ride and enjoy life

As a certain man giving his final lecture once said. "The day people stop caring, is the day you should give up" or something to that effect.

I agree that he's probably just worried about you. Unfortunately, lots of close family members don't always present their worries in a good way. It usually just sounds like nagging.

Back