I lost to a GSXR 1000

drewwerd13

Registered
Ok, so I went out riding with some friends to Modesto this weekend. We found a nice long straightaway and decided to try some high speed runs. All of a sudden, I'm challenged by a guy on a GSXR 1000. He's like, "I wanna see what I can do against a 'busa!" So we went at it and I totally lost. I have a brand new 2003 Hayabusa with no modifications. Still totally stock except for a Double Bubble windshield and a 200 rear tire rather than 190.
So... this guy DID have some mods on his GSXR 1000. He had new performance air filters and pipes and some other small stuff that got his HP up to like 160. So it's true, his bike may have been a little more powerful. But I was very dissappointed.
It was my first race ever so I'm sure I have a lot to learn about accelerating and when and how to shift. But shouldn't the busa be able to take a GSXR 1000??!!??!!
Are the 2003 busa's more restricted? Does the timing retarder really affect acceleration? We didn't go any faster than 160 so I know I didn't come close to the 185 governor. I'm just wondering what kind of excuses I have for losing to a GSXR 1000.

A stock busa vs a mod'ed 1000...the stock busa will not win. Why? The power to weight ratio. If I remember correctly the 1000 has 1hp/4lbs (stock). Which is the best power/weight ratio of any stock bike in the world. So if you have a bike that has the same hp as you but weighs 100lbs less...you will loss(speaking if both riders are on the same level).

P.S. That is why I'm stroking and big boreing my engine. No little 1000 punks will ever see my busa!!

Daddy Fatsac is right, plus if the gixxer had changed the gearing some you are definitely done for. The Busa just weighs so much more(437 to 550 wet, Motorcyclist magazine), that is a lot of weight to make up for with only a 10-20 hp difference. Plus if you are builit like Aaron Yates and he is built like Valentino Rossi there could be another 50 pounds too. Changing the gearing and the exhaust would give you a little more torque and less weight to outrun the gixxer.

Did this guy have more experience drag racing? Was this a rolling start? Was he shifting at the best time? Were you?

There are some rider variables to consider here too. I want to be clear. I am not knocking you or your skills, much less your bike. But racing, in straights or twisties, is as much about rider timing as power-to-weight ratios.

I say challenge that guy again. He sounds like a good benchmark to work against.

hey drew.. who did you take on? Jun?

that really sucks that you lost but the guys are right. our bikes are really fast but we do carry a weight problem.

I'm sure I wasn't shifting right. He had me before I even shifted into 2nd gear though. Which means I probably wasn't accelerating right either. I don't think I ever gave it full throttle in 1st. I was more concerned with keeping the wheels on the ground. It was a rolling start at like 0.5 mph. Nobody really was there to give us an official start. But if anything, I was rolling faster than he was.
And yes, Big E, it was Jun! I'll give it another shot once I have some more experience under my belt. I'm sure it wasn't his first race!

Yep, what everyone else said ... Motorcyclist even list the 1/4 mile time faster on a 1000 however top end you should probly be faster. If you want more feed back give us a few more details of your run, how far what speed... what year is the 1000?
rock.gif
I found for myself the busa goes crazy when you actually open the throttle all the way vs just what I thought was enough.

Yep, what everyone else said ... Motorcyclist even list the 1/4 mile time faster on a 1000 however top end you should probly be faster. If you want more feed back give us a few more details of your run, how far what speed... what year is the 1000?
rock.gif
 I found for myself the busa goes crazy when you actually open the throttle all the way vs just what I thought was enough.
Be careful they list the times incorrectly. Even though the bike is lighter it is not faster in the quarter. That is stock to stock. Good practice will get you some good times, then if you want more a little pipes willget you going with about 171 @ the wheels. Also know what you are racing. I had a gixxer wnat to race me. He had some good mods for an additional 20hp. Needless to say he did not really pay attentin to what he wanted to race. Most of it is al in fun and bragging rights.

A stock busa vs a mod'ed 1000...the stock busa will not win.  Why?  The power to weight ratio.  If I remember correctly the 1000 has 1hp/4lbs (stock).  Which is the best power/weight ratio of any stock bike in the world.  So if you have a bike that has the same hp as you but weighs 100lbs less...you will loss(speaking if both riders are on the same level).

P.S.  That is why I'm stroking and big boreing my engine.  No little 1000 punks will ever see my busa!!
BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Honestly...........I've never lost to a stock 1000........and my bike is stock.........just gotta keep the RPM's past 9000..........and I stroke my Busa regularly.

The busa will win because the 1000 is too light to keep the front down. Just get the launch down and you'll win.

There is always one faster.........

But, a little practice with the Busa should put you a bike or two in front of the 1000......
It really comes down to rider then machine!

Hmmmm you gotta remember it was your first race on your NEW bike. You probably aren't use to it enough to race someone whose been roadracing a while. Think of it a small but important lesson in humility

my buddy has a mod'd GSXR1000 and I usually lose by 1/2 a bike length to about 130mph. He also has twice the riding experience I do.

From what I've read, the GSXR1000 is a faster bike in the 1/4 mile. Stock GSXR1000 and Stock Hayabusa with equal riders, usually the GSXR1000 will win in 1/4 mile, check the times of all the magazine tests, it's about 1/5 second quicker = bike length.

It comes down to rider experience and rider skill in drag racing, pure and simple.

Mike

my buddy has a mod'd GSXR1000 and I usually lose by 1/2 a bike length to about 130mph. He also has twice the riding experience I do.

From what I've read, the GSXR1000 is a faster bike in the 1/4 mile. Stock GSXR1000 and Stock Hayabusa with equal riders, usually the GSXR1000 will win in 1/4 mile, check the times of all the magazine tests, it's about 1/5 second quicker = bike length.

It comes down to rider experience and rider skill in drag racing, pure and simple.

Mike
true, true..........experience likely played a major role in that race.

My friend has a 1000 w/ TRE, barnett CF clutch, PCIII, K and N, and venom exhaust.....I normally bust his ass when we race.......sometimes he does get me though..........ususally when you run from a roll on.......say 60 mph.......if you're high enough in the RPM's you can whip up on a 1000 past 130........

the stroke thing was a joke.......somebody said they were stroking and big boreing their Busa..........

I'm sure I wasn't shifting right.  He had me before I even shifted into 2nd gear though.  Which means I probably wasn't accelerating right either.  I don't think I ever gave it full throttle in 1st.  I was more concerned with keeping the wheels on the ground.  It was a rolling start at like 0.5 mph.  Nobody really was there to give us an official start.  But if anything, I was rolling faster than he was.
And yes, Big E, it was Jun!  I'll give it another shot once I have some more experience under my belt.  I'm sure it wasn't his first race!
LOL... that is too funny

as soon as i get my bike put back together, lets both show him the true power of the Busa...

i am currently getting exhaust and a few other goodies for my bike. i will let you know when i am ready to ride or just show up at the spot.

-E

Back