I Lost My Key...Help!

ariscus99

Registered
Well it finally happened. When I bought my '08 BKing I kept telling myself I needed to get a second key made, as the dealership only gave me one for some reason. Well about 2 weeks ago it finally happened, I lost my only key. I've searched high and low in all of my jackets, pants, gloves, boots, around the work bench and that thing is just gone :(. Has anyone had this happen before? How do I go about replacing it? I can't just go to a local lock smith since it's a "smart key" or "chipped key" or whatever they call it nowadays. Do I need to get the bike to a dealership? Or can one be ordered based on the VIN? I know some car companies can get you a key this way. I've done a cursory search online and can't find much about lost motorcycle smart keys. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And yes this is my bike, it's not a stolen bike I'm trying to get a key for, I have the title and registration, if that helps at all.

you should have received a code along with your key that allows you to order a new key from the dealership, should have been on a small piece of metal that came with the key...if you didn't get that either, i would be talking to the original dealership

I see this as hilarious! :rofl:

Buy a bike with one key then wait until the only key is misplaced before the chickens come home to roost! :laugh:

Your OEM key has a number stamped on it. Why did you not write that number down when you took delivery of the bike? If you had, you could have called your dealer with the key number and he could have a factory replacement within days.

Unless you live in Europe you don't have a chip in your ignition key. Call a locksmith or take your bike to him and he will make you a key that works. Cost about $60 dollars here.

While you are at it, have him make you two spares! Zip tie one someplace under the seat and you'll never have a problem in the future. :thumbsup:

I see this as hilarious! :rofl:

Buy a bike with one key then wait until the only key is misplaced before the chickens come home to roost! :laugh:

Your OEM key has a number stamped on it. Why did you not write that number down when you took delivery of the bike? If you had, you could have called your dealer with the key number and he could have a factory replacement within days.

Unless you live in Europe you don't have a chip in your ignition key. Call a locksmith or take your bike to him and he will make you a key that works. Cost about $60 dollars here.

While you are at it, have him make you two spares! Zip tie one someplace under the seat and you'll never have a problem in the future. :thumbsup:

yeah, ziptie the spare key under the seat somewhere...since you need the key to unlock the seat:poke:
Tuf's a crafty bastid tryin to see who's paying attention:laugh:

No chip in key, if you got the original owners manual with the bike - look for the key code written in it. Dealers often jot down the number in the manual or warranty infomation. If the dealer can't help you. Locksmith will have to come out or you can buy a new ignition lock and key set.

This same thread pops up regularly.

VIN # cannot get you a key made. You need the key code. Is the Bking a euro model? I dont think the US models are "chipped".

Yet again, Tuf is here to "help" :banghead:

Call the local dealership, if they are worth anything, they should be able to help you somehow. Otherwise, you're probably looking at new locks... :down:

i did lost my key recently and i got spare keys ..
i have my spare key with small black piece with some numbers punchs down .

Back