i lef tthe d@mn key on

Shindo97

Registered
um....so i guess i was so excited to come home that i never turned the key off on the bike...

I drained the battery complete over night.

I jumped it and rode it for a good while...but now i am worried that the reliability of the battery is crap.

should i just go buy a new one?

Whats the best one on the market.

Shindo, Whats up man? The battery from Suzuki has been top notch for me, the one that came in it from japan was bad, but they put a new one in it the day I bought it and have had no probs since. How's the viper coping with its new owner? LOL!
smile.gif

I did the same thing about a week ago left the key on for 30 min and it was dead as a door nail. I jumped it and thought I was going to have to replace the battery but it is still working just fine. This is the the one that came stock in 2001. If you not having problems starting it I would leave it alone. just my .02 cents

there's a thread by Rythm or someone, I think...they recommend another replacement battery...

I find the busa battery to be pretty good... nothing to complain!! IMO if you leave your key on the whome night, any battery is goign to loose a significant bit of charge... thats been my experience!!!

Or you can always rely on rolling it and popping the clutch. My buddy does this daily on his R6 cause he's too damn cheap to buy a battery.

Or you can always rely on rolling it and popping the clutch.  My buddy does this daily on his R6 cause he's too damn cheap to buy a battery.
I'm wondering if you are being serious or sarcastic.

An R6 can be rolled uphill by a one-legged female midget. The weight of the Busa will force you to buy a battery if you had to roll it everyday in order to get it going.

I would recommend a new battery if your Busa is 2002 or older, for the starter kickback reason. Otherwise, you can probably get another 1-2 yrs out of it.

I don't tink that you will have a problem with it. A co-worker left the key on on his SV1000 all day at work and we jumped it and still no problems. Been about three months.

been there.... drained it.... charge failed..... bought new/better... not looking back. friggin "PARK" light $*#^%*@##$

You'll be fine. Must likely we have all done that at least once. Now just don't go over 200mph and over amp the battery.
wow.gif
Then you will need another.

Or you can always rely on rolling it and popping the clutch.  My buddy does this daily on his R6 cause he's too damn cheap to buy a battery.
Please explain how that will work with a fuel injected bike?
The generator turns over as soon as the engine turns over..it dont take much to get things going from there.

Power is needed for the ignition system as well.
It takes a lot to get things going from there on a FI bike. ECU, sensors, injectors, FUEL PUMP, ect. On most bikes that stator is barely putting out anyting below 2K rpm to begin with. Unless you're towing the Busa behind a car it aint going to happen with a completely dead battery.

Here's some info that might help:

1. Your battery is probably ok and will probably start your bike fine, but still could be not 100% charged.

2. Buy a "Tender" battery charger (available at most any motorcycle shop). Leave it connected to your battery anytime it is parked. It will provide a "float charge" to your battery whenever its necessary to maintain your battery at 100%. It will maintain your battery (yes, even the battery you ran dead), at peak charge.

3. As for the question about rolling the bike and popping the clutch to start the engine. Yes, it can be easily done as long as your battery isn't absolutely "totally" dead. You need a small amount of charge (about 2 amps) in your battery to provide enough charge to your alternator coil so it can provide power to the coil(s) for spark.

Bottom line; buy a Tender, charge your battery, leave the Tender on the battery whenever you're not riding, don't give it another thought, and ride!

Had to do it once with the Busa... Hell its heavy!!!! You dont wanna have to do it more than 2 or 3 times because you'll be exhausted
biggrin.gif

A suggestion tough if you have to... Do it in second gear, not first.

Back