I know this is a bike forum, but

BlueHaya

I'm outta here!!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Does anyone have a complete DSL modem that will work with AT&T. I would need the ethernet cord, phone line, power supply, filter, and modem, and preferbly the setup disk.

Preferbly the Speedstream 4100. I am not wanting to pay $70 at a store and I am tired of getting outbid on Ebay.
mad.gif

What type of DSL ?
PPOA vs PPOE
bridged or routed
Do you really need a phone cord
SHOCKED.gif

Now you are talking over my head.

I have DSL with Yahoo on my home computer and I am needing to put it on my work computer in my garage. I am not networked and am thinking of just having a modem on each computer to run on the same phone line.

I guess I really dont need a new phone line....just threw that out there
biggrin.gif

ahhhh you need a network card on your laptop and a switch in the house.... pm me what you want and we can get you hooked up

I have 2 desktops. The one for work is a handout from their stash and had to have a 10/100 installed for me. It has a ethernet plug on it.

What is this network card and switch you speak of?

This is what I have in home.

DSL_Modem__Medium_.jpg

Why not go wifi? Wireless routers are dirt cheap these days. Plus if you have a PDA or laptop you're not tied down to any one location.

I have thought about wireless as well, but my lack of knowledge is holding me up. I understand the concept but am not sure of what pieces are needed to complete the transfer. What piece is needed on the receiving computer to get the signal? Is that inlcuded in the package you would buy? I have seen wireless G routers for sale but did not see on the box what all is needed.

I have 2 desktops currently and do not want to run wires from my house to my garage, so wireless has been on my mind as well as just getting another DSl modem like I have on my inside computer, if that would even work. I have cable and phone going to my garage now it is underground with my electric.

I dont know about desk top to desk top connection.

But the box you buy comes with everything you need to send the signal, but I use lap tops with built in wireless cards to receive.

Its VERY easy to do.
beerchug.gif

Yeah, go wireless.

Here's how I did it.

Buy a wireless router. I have a US Robotics Wireless MAXg router but nearly any router will do just fine.

Buy a wireless adapter for the PC in your garage. You don't have to use the same brand of component as you do for the router but it can help rule out incompatibilities.

Believe it or not, the instructions which come with these products are generally VERY easy to follow and you shouldn't have any trouble following along. Also, these companies really do want their products to work so if you have any problems along the way, don't hesitate to call the company and talk to them about it.

Or post up here.

Also, with wireless, you DO need to worry about security. The signal is strong enough for someone to "see" your signal from your street so make sure you don't skimp on it.

Update us on what you decide to do.

--Wag--

Back