I kind of like Virginia Motorsports Park

Engine longevity for a Hayabusa at least is an issue. The only engines that we run now that would last more than one race is the methanol bike ridden by Ehren Litten. My bike (Jordan Haase) and Rodney Williford are both intercooled gasoline and have cylinder head / gasket issues now pretty much every race, sometimes before the end of the event and we have to change at the track. We also have transmission issues as well, sometimes breaking the gears themselves.

I can't speak for sure on the 1k's and GS in prostreet, however I don't think I have seen them change an engine at the track yet aside from the Stotz Honda.

As for rules, my opinion based on technical performance and effort, not just because we race Hayabusas, is that the 1000 platform and GS based nitrous bike are probably about 1.5-2" longer than what would be required to have parity. Note that that wouldn't stop the attrition that we have but at least would make a max effort potentially be able to run the same numbers.

Because of the number of bikes that we have with us or associated with us (10 turbo Hayabusas at the last event) I can say with certainty that no one else competes with the same level of effort. This is not to take away from the others, however there just isn't anyone else fielding anywhere near the number of bikes in different classes to uncover the issues and try to combine efforts to be faster / quicker.

We have the 3 quickest and 4 fastest street tire Hayabusas, the only 3 second turbo Hayabusas in the world (2 of those, one methanol, one intercooled gas), and arguably the quickest grudge turbo bike as well (currently out of commision).

John

Reactions: c10
Bike count in Prostreet is interesting. Many of the racers in the class aren't necessarily in it to "win". Sure, it is nice, but many of the competitors really don't have a chance to come out on top on paper. Prostreet is also about personal acheivement and trying to fgure out how to make ones own bike perform better and better. It is very tough and often very humbling. One can go from king of the hill to an asshat in one pass ;-)

I love reading your insight John, thanks for sharing it. As a racer at a much lower level it's inspirational to read your perspective. I'm pretty confident in what I do know, but what you guys are doing is next level stuff. #racegoals

This is crazy! So why is it impressive to do 200 in a standing mile when this is going it in 1/4?

I would just think this bike different gearing and it would hit a stupid fast top speed.

Congratulations on all you do, very impressive and I doubt I could even hold on to that!

Bike count in Prostreet is interesting. Many of the racers in the class aren't necessarily in it to "win". Sure, it is nice, but many of the competitors really don't have a chance to come out on top on paper. Prostreet is also about personal acheivement and trying to fgure out how to make ones own bike perform better and better. It is very tough and often very humbling. One can go from king of the hill to an asshat in one pass ;-)
Understood. A friend of mine, also my engine guy, runs a ProStreet bike that isn't competitive with the top of the class but as you mention, he is out for personal bests. He has done quite well in that measure the last couple years. Heck, even I'm out for personal bests, difference being I'm at a lower level, running on tracks that won't support ProStreet level performance (the track is the great equalizer!).

Drag racing is much different from Land Speed Racing. The track is prepped in drag racing allowing us to accelerate MUCH harder as we have longer wheelbase, whereas the venues for Land Speed are often plain asphalt, dirt, or salt.
Bikes built to this level for LSR don't do 200mph in the mile, they do 250+. Shane Stubbs is likely the most active high speed Turbocharged Hayabusa pilot currently with the Treadway / Stubbs bike, often running it unfaired in the "Naked" Classes. Shane does have bodywork for the bike, but I believe has only done some mild runs with the body installed.

We will be racing at MD International Raceway this coming weekend at the World Cup Finals event. It is primarily a car event, woth Domestic cars racing Imports as the focus. The top 10 XDA bikes are attempting to qualify for an 8 bike field. We have 4 team bikes competing.

Qualifying is acheduled to start Thursday evening with the main event on Sunday.

Anyone attending the race feel free to stop by and check out the bikes.

Back