I have to turn the key on and off repeadly to get headlights to come on?

MR Felt

Registered
The bike starts, but the headlights don't come on until I cycle the key a few times?? Been doing it for a week.

Get use to it. Mine would come on the first time I'd crank it but after that I would have to turn the key on and give it 30 seconds before cranking the bike if I wanted headlights. That's why I didn't mess with the Gen II lights. They improved them and I don't ride at night unless I absolutely have to. The Gen I lights were like not having lights from the factory.

Mine started doing that so I mounted a switch for the low beam. I just tied it into the negative side of the light. Then just leave them of till it's running.

You don't have to hack up the bikes wiring or mount switches. There's a well known method of cranking the bike that leaves the light off until the bike cranks. Understanding that your bike is your bike, so whatever you do to it is fine with this guy :thumbsup:

You don't have to hack up the bikes wiring or mount switches. There's a well known method of cranking the bike that leaves the light off until the bike cranks. Understanding that your bike is your bike, so whatever you do to it is fine with this guy :thumbsup:

I could not get my bike to crank without the light coming on (yes I have read the posts :rulez:). I didn't hack up the wiring, all I did was plug a wire into the wiring harness, run it to one side of the switch and then ran a wire from the headlight to the other side of the switch (I used the negative side of the wiring system so all the switch does is complete the ground). Made a small thin bracket to hold the switch and it is mounted on to the left clutch master cylinder holder using the original bottom bolt. Of course all this is temporary till my bulbs from PIAA come in and I get a chance to install them.

Theres several different ways to go about it. Think there is a few threads on here or another forum that outline the schematic for the relay etc. I know if you continue to start you bike that way you'll eventually burn up a ballast or worse. Some prefer the relay, myself I opted for control of my head light via PMR billet handle bar switch. I start my bike then flip the switch on 4 my HID's

Mine did that when the battery was getting ready to go. The method I use for starting my 05:
- Press and hold the starter switch
- Turn the key on
- Wait for the gauges the fuel pump to cycle
- Pull in the clutch lever to start the bike
- Release the starter button

If it just started, you need to check the charging system and the battery to make sure you aren't having issues with the rectifier, stator, or battery.

Well you need to find out what the cranking voltage of the bike is?
If its dropping under 12.5 or so the Hids will not fire correctly
If thats the case, the charging system needs to be checked, or maybe the starter is on its way out causing a a heavier load.

Well you need to find out what the cranking voltage of the bike is?
If its dropping under 12.5 or so the Hids will not fire correctly
If thats the case, the charging system needs to be checked, or maybe the starter is on its way out causing a a heavier load.

Do you measure across the battery terminals while cranking to see the voltage drop?

Back