I have to rant now!!

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Some people are always preaching that you should not try and out think Suzuki's engineers. For example, always running 42psi in your tires.

When it comes to suspension settings and tire pressure you have to remember that SUZUKI engineers are recommending a setting for your everyday rider. Suzuki engineers expect that riders learn how to and when to adjust suspenion setting and tire pressure.

With riders that range from 100lbs or less and riders that weigh 250lbs or more how can there be any ONE setting?

With riders that range from no experience to drag racing experience, to trackday experience, to commuting experience, to touring experience, to cayon road experience, and to a mix off all those how can there be only ONE setting?

With roads that vary from bumpy/cracked backroads, to expansion bumpy freeways, to smooth highways, to road course tracks, and to drag strips how can there be only ONE setting.

With aftermarket parts including anything that changes the bikes weight and balance, to any tire other than a BT-56, and to aftermarket suspension parts how can there be only ONE setting?

With speeds ranging from 5mph in corners to 165+mph in corners, how can there be only ONE setting?

The answer?? There is NO ONE setting!!! If you are an all around rider that does a little of everything and weighs what a Suzuki engineer thinks the average Busa rider weighs, then stay exactly stock with all settings!

If you weigh more or less or do something more than others, THEN LEARN HOW TO ADJUST YOUR SUSPENSION AND TIRE PRESSURE FOR EACH TYPE OF RIDING!!!! You will never see me on a trackday running BT-56s at 42psi!!!
wink.gif

I feel a little better now
rant.gif

Add your thoughts, anything I missed....

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 07 2006,17:18)  You will never see me on a trackday running BT-56s at 42psi!!!    
wink.gif

Add your thoughts, anything I missed....
I would hope nobody runs BT-56's @ the track anyway .
laugh.gif

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Good points Charles !</span>

You are so right. Having the suspension set for your weight and riding style will make all the difference in the world. I was hard headed and left mine stock for some time untill my son talked me into trying Jinksters settings, and it made a big difference.

I think you should run everything a 42 psi, never use the back brake (and for those who are scarrrreeeeddd  
SHOCKED.gif
to use the front brake never use it either) cause it's only there for looks and lawyers, always use engine braking for everything, use 87 octane only for every event even top speed runs, and NEVER change the factory suspention settings cause you'll only mess things up and get hurt and then sue Suzuki
laugh.gif

I don't know much but I thought the 56's were, ay, ay, I don't know, exciting. Guess that's one way to put it.

Thanks CB, after the way some posts were going I'm glad someone summed it up.

(BA BUSA @ Oct. 07 2006,14:25) Aaaah  
eatme.gif

Shouldn't you be out riding
rock.gif
jump9.gif

I wish I was out riding, I'm stuck here at work....
redcomprs2.gif
zzwhip.gif

But hey, the bright side,

only 20 days until the Streets of Willow!!
muscle.gif

(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 07 2006,17:48)
eatme.gif

rock.gif

HAHAHAHAHA....14 1/2 hrs and I'll be in tech inspection @ Thunderhill

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

(BA BUSA @ Oct. 07 2006,17:53)
(Charlesbusa @ Oct. 07 2006,17:48)

HAHAHAHAHA....14 1/2 hrs and I'll be in tech inspection @ Thunderhill

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

pissed.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

pissed.gif

pissed.gif

pissed.gif

pissed.gif

To anyone that's ever made that BS statement "You shouldn't try to out think suzuki's engineers", they need to shut it. Realize the reason why the busa has the rep it has isn't just because of it's stock form, it's what happens when people make it BETTER. Turbo, better suspension, different tires, bigger engine cc, ported heads, etc etc etc.

Suzuki themselves said they can't believe the cult following the busa has. Ya think they ment just the bling paintjobbed busa's ya see in mags? They're fully aware of what's been going on at maxton and the drag strips as well as why they sell so well in the showroom. Sucks since we still haven't gotten a new busa, but it's because of suzooks awareness to what it's customers do to the bike which stems far beyond different tire pressures.
laugh.gif

I recall in one of Performance bikes articles on it's "Project 250mph" busa they showed what stock parts were durable enough to handle 450hp. Outthink suzuki's engineers? Far from it. They knew exactly what the people would do with such an overbuilt motorcycle. ANYTHING.
bowdown.gif

I ran BT56 at the track. They slide pretty predictably.

There is another variably adjustable on the fly suspension that every bike has - the rider. Makes a huge difference, and even Keith Code talks about it in his book.

I actually have the same suspension settings for street and track (somewhat stiffer than stock) - works for me - no problem what so ever. But my legs work a lot.

(tinmann @ Oct. 07 2006,16:57) Okay there is more to this rant than your telling  
lurk.gif
yeah,

mostly came from the You must run 42PSI all the time, Suzuki engineers designed the busa to run 42PSI, if you run something different than 42PSI you think you're smarter than Suzuki's engineers[/Quote] type guys
coffee.gif

Guilty. Yeah, me. Although I'm fairly open-minded and feel I can learn a lot from people with more experience than me (you, BA Busa, et al) I find that I do get in a rut on some things. I'm not all that gung ho on Suzuki engineering specifically but I have my own little dogmas. For example, I'm one of the guys who said, "always use the tire pressure settings on the sidewall of the tire." Turn out, from another poster, that such a thought doesn't necessarly apply.

Charles, you've given me a wake up call with your post. Indeed, it's in a similar format to other posts I've made when someone else needed a dressing down.

You give good advice. I'm taking it. Time to stop being lazy about my riding and my machine and learn some more stuff about it.

Again, thanks for the wake up call.

--Wag--

(IG. @ Oct. 07 2006,18:19) I ran BT56 at the track. They slide pretty predictably.

There is another variably adjustable on the fly suspension that every bike has - the rider. Makes a huge difference, and even Keith Code talks about it in his book.

I actually have the same suspension settings for street and track (somewhat stiffer than stock) - works for me - no problem what so ever. But my legs work a lot.
They were great to play with, did a few smileys with them to use'm up.They slide good when you want them to, but we're in the same nice of the woods,region wise. I noticed this time of year, early/late condensation they seemed to brake free very early and get kinda squirmy,more than the others I use this time of year. But then again I not an 014 fan either. Never had the fr. end push-out but it felt funny sometimes. I just felt better when I got them worn-off. Just me.

hmmmm....strange i'm reading this while listening to evanescence "Wake Me Up Inside".
laugh.gif

and uh...IG.?....

"I actually have the same suspension settings for street and track (somewhat stiffer than stock) - works for me - no problem what so ever. But my legs work a lot."

i'm feel'in ya bud...up at the bash i was basically steering with my feet...and hips...and giving those cyclecat rearsets a workout...lov'in the solid mount footpegs.
biggrin.gif

The Dunlop Qualifiers basically laughed at the wet weather roads we had as well.
biggrin.gif

oh well..back to "Wake Me Up Inside"
tounge.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

rant on, bro. I check and adjust pressure, and then suspension for almost every ride. Takes less than 5 minutes

Back