I have to admit, I am rather excited

Nekosohana

Registered
OK : ) before anyone says anything, pics will follow but they will not be available until the weekend, I have three full cameras of shots, but have been so tired, that it's low on the pri list right now.

I am really excited about the fact that this is the first time that I have ever really "worked" on my bike. After a little fumbling around, I bough some little additions and have been very pleased with the process so far.

Things I am adding:
Galfer brake and clutch lines
K&N Airbox
Muzzy fan
new brakes (I don't remember the name? They were recommended from the board and they are HH quality)
Power Commander
Straight Pipe
Electrical Taped the windshied to stop that stupid rattle!
and then the basic stuff - oil change, chain strech and cleaning, new radiator fluid, and just about any basic mainenence that I can think of.
I had to buy a rearstand finally, so that was neat to see how it worked (since I actually never had, I just had the stealer stretch the chain when they put it on in Dec. and they did a poor job of it at that...

The process at this point is in the third day of work since we are taking it at a liesurly pace.

First assessments: I was originally terrified of the "complexity" of the job I was undertaking. I have a mechanic friend who did all his own bike work, and he happens to like working on bikes (which I didn't think I did) so I employed him with the best bartering tool in the world...beer.

We attacked the plastics first, taking off the side fairings and the front wheel fender. I found out my bike was a goldish color from the small strip of tape they left ... did they have that in 04? I was really surprised about the weight of the plastics ... and that they were in fact plastic. From there we took off the seats, and propped the fuel tank up in preperation for the items we would work on. Then the fun came!

The radiator was our first mission so that we could add the Muzzy fan and remove the already capped PAIR valve (I did the marble mod about 2 seconds after I got the bike). Night one was drain the oil and drain as much of the radiator as possible. Then it was two beers some food, and headed home. Total actual work time about 1.5-2 hours.

Day two went much more quickly, since I now remembered where all the tools were and we had a singular mission, get the radiator out, pull the pair, and oil the K&N. The first real lesson that I learned happened today... the radiator is never empty... as I learned when I pulled the brakeside hoze near the fill cap (pics will follow). A quart of fluid and a few cuss words later and I was greasy and sliding off the floor. Then I kicked the bucket that I used to catch the spill on the floor... that was lesson two... watch where you step if you choose not to immediately organize your little shop.
newbie.gif

After the drain we pulled the radiator, and put on the Muzzy fan, so that we could say that we had actually accomplished something. Afterwards we pulled the PAIR valve, which was an interesting exercise because I couldn't get it off without pulling the oil cooler as well (I unbolted it, but didn't actually pull it out). I also pulled the windshield and taped it up to reduce rattle as I smoked. From here we smoked lots of cigarettes and drank some more beer.

Cost: about 2.5 hours, 2 people, 4 beers (total), and about 3/4 of a pack smoked.

Last night was brake fun! We did the front lines and the clutch line. The rear brake is a treat we are saving for after the job when I can make a quick run without plastics. This is the "big" project... and I have to say I am really excited about testing the brakes out, the lines actually "jump" when you actuate the brake. One interesting thing that occured was that my clutch resivoir was this nasty brown color which I didn't like. So we flushed most of it out of there, and added more Dot 4 brake fluid to the clutch line. It turned a smoky color almost instantly, and (I think this may be my mistake) I just went along with what my friend said, that the line is enclosed and it will be fine. So lesson three will be learned later... it's my bike, don't accept substitutes...(hopefully this won't be a painful lesson).
Cost: 3 hours, 1 pack of cigarettes, the remaining two beers from the six pack the night before, 2 cokes, a welding expert to look at the pipes and take them off to build a baffle for me, and 4 pieces of fried chicken.

Work will continue Sat. morning, and I will try and get those photos up tonight since I will actually be off.

I was alittle surprised at how heavy the lower fairings are too. Enjoy the quality time with your bike
smile.gif

Screw ROT
guns.gif
they cancelled that because the Texas Hayabusa.org owners will be in Austin.
beerchug.gif

(MPH 200 @ May 25 2007,11:55) Screw ROT  
guns.gif
they cancelled that because the Texas Hayabusa.org owners will be in Austin.
beerchug.gif
lol, I will probably be there now. I was looking at the shirt and I really like it! So I will probably make the ride and pick up a shirt.

Sounds like you're having a ball! Nothing like prime time with one's ride!
But...................but if you keep smoking them cancer sticks and eating that fried chicken, you ain't gonna last long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor!! Notice I mentioned nothing about drinkin' beer...............a guy has to have a brew or two in the evening to relax a little, eh? Good for ya!!!
all_coholic.gif

(CCbusa05 @ May 25 2007,13:56) Sounds like you're having a ball! Nothing like prime time with one's ride!
But...................but if you keep smoking them cancer sticks and eating that fried chicken, you ain't gonna last long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor!! Notice I mentioned nothing about drinkin' beer...............a guy has to have a brew or two in the evening to relax a little, eh? Good for ya!!!
all_coholic.gif
Nice. Yeah the smoking is bad, I quit once cold and was clean for about a month. But all my friends smoked. Now they are using the Chantix to quit, and so I will not be tempted anymore.

But anyway... lol. I got another thing added and some good progress. I actually get to go home tonight and be in a normal place for the first time in a week, so I will get some of the pics up tonight, and will get the other camera back tomorrow, so I should have half the pics tonight and the other half tomorrow.

I happened to find the TRE that I bought a while back (my roommate had it buried in his unread mail pile...) so I got it added on. We got our friend Jamy to take a look at the pipes and she used some welding stock to build me a baffle (I will get some pics of that when it gets back). Saturday was the last day the stealership will be open, and I wanted it tuned to the PCIII with all the new stuff on there, so we took it (sans plastics) to the dealer and made it in with 15 minutes to spare.

So what I wanted to get done the most got done (the baffles in the pipes) my friend said they sound great, and I got the torque back that I lost from running open pipe!

The best part? It actually fired on the first try, and there were no missing parts. That in itself is pride swelling for a non-wrench like me.

Back