I have spark and fuel but engine wont start.

Toyabusa

Registered
My Gen 1 1300 hayabusa has spark and there is fuel going to it but it wont start. It cranks but it wont work up to actually run. What could be the underlying problem? I hooked up the dealer switch but no codes have shown. I recently changed the tps and positionEd it where it needed to be. It was running rough before then we had to hold the throttle down to keep it running now it only turns over. I've hooked up a different ecm but no change. My stator is not cooked up. Plugs are wet and there is spark. Hopefully I can get some help.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome to the oRg.:race:

Please pop over to the new members section and introduce youself, we have a fair few regulars here and it's one big family, new people are always welcome but introductions are nice too!

Year model of bike, mechanical and ownership history, and extras added is helpful.

Can you record a vid of the starting attempt/problem and post it on youtube or similar, then post up the link to this forum?
It would really help if I can see and hear what is going on with it.
Thanks, Kiwi. :thumbsup:

Try checking your voltage drop on the battery when it's cranking. The spark may not be strong enough to jump the gap. Possibly extinguished by compression. Some bikes seem to need a minimum voltage to produce a useful spark. They turn over but won't light up

I start off with 12.5v and when cranking I have 11.6v but it has started while having that before. But the spark might be it because it was a small spark and could barely tell it was there.

That is not enough voltage. should be higher. This bike needs strong voltage. If the plugs have been flooded by now...may need to replace them and batt both. Assuming you installed the other items properly.

Reactions: c10
I tell everyone to try this
Cut the 12 volts feeding the coils
crank away and jump a wire direct from the battery to the coils I bet she fires
Checking battery voltage does not tell you coil stick voltage while cranking
Could you explain a little more please

there is a 12 volt feed to the coils
ECU controls ground for spark
the 12v that feeds the coils, passes thru the RH contol
the ignition switch
a relay and a few connectors. voltage drops thru each

I had a crank crank crank situtation for a long time, replace the 12v feeding the coils and she starts instantly

My Gen 1 1300 hayabusa has spark and there is fuel going to it but it wont start. It cranks but it wont work up to actually run. What could be the underlying problem? I hooked up the dealer switch but no codes have shown. I recently changed the tps and positionEd it where it needed to be. It was running rough before then we had to hold the throttle down to keep it running now it only turns over. I've hooked up a different ecm but no change. My stator is not cooked up. Plugs are wet and there is spark. Hopefully I can get some help.

Stator isn’t hooked up? Both plugs are disconnected? If so, plug the stator back in... at the very least, the one connector that has only 2 wires in it, plug those back together. That’s your crank position sensor. It won’t run without it.

Stator isn’t hooked up? Both plugs are disconnected? If so, plug the stator back in... at the very least, the one connector that has only 2 wires in it, plug those back together. That’s your crank position sensor. It won’t run without it.
I was saying my stator wasn't burned up that's what I meant by cooked everything is hooked up fine

Well I finally figured out the issue. I had put in a set of used but clean spark plugs in when I changed them and I bought a new pair just out of desperation and she fired away and sounds better and runs better. Thank you for the input and excuse my silly mistake. Thanks.

Well I finally figured out the issue. I had put in a set of used but clean spark plugs in when I changed them and I bought a new pair just out of desperation and she fired away and sounds better and runs better. Thank you for the input and excuse my silly mistake. Thanks.
Spark plugs are one of those things that need changing yet people seldom do..

Glad you solved the issue.

I am having this same problem. but mine starts when fuel is put into throttle bodies manually. would this mean my spark plugs could still be bad?

I am having this same problem. but mine starts when fuel is put into throttle bodies manually. would this mean my spark plugs could still be bad?
Sounds more like a fuelling issue, if it runs by dumping fuel into the TB, it is getting spark.

Can you hear the pump cycle when the key is turned to on?

We had a weak fuel pump we fixed it and secured it. It was low on pressure. We also figured out that we weren’t letting the engine warm up enough and that made our spark plugs go out to.

Back