I have questions,maybe you have answers. George Floyd & Karma

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Do you believe in Karma?

noun: karma
  1. (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.
    • INFORMAL
      destiny or fate, following as effect from cause.
The reason I ask is I'm wondering if the woman who had a gun held to her stomach by George Floyd when he did that home invasion, if she was able to breathe OK? I wonder if her breathing was at all...labored or anything. She may have been a bit upset at the site of the 6 foot 6 inch man with a gun held to her in her home,her safe place...her sanctuary. George...according to court documents was just looking for money and drugs.Meh. Arrested,tried,convicted...5 years in prison. (long criminal record,but no reason he had to die)
I'm also wondering why George just didn't use the local convenience store in his neighborhood to get a pack of cigarettes and why he decided it was a good idea to operate a motor vehicle (instead of walking,taxi,bus,ask a friend,etc) somewhere under the influence of fentanyl and methamphetamine. Isn't the operation of a motor vehicle while intoxicated a bad thing for the innocent people around you?( "The Hennepin County medical examiner's office,found fentanyl intoxication; [and] recent methamphetamine use.")

I'm wondering based on this whole ancient Hindu and Budda belief that could easily loosely translate into the urban slang meaning..."What comes around,goes around." Do you think it plays any part in the sad,unfortunate events of that day.
Now,nobody is perfect by any stretch of the imagination...but the man commited several violent crimes,even against defenceless women. Is this the work of some higher power? Budda? Even God?
George's past, shall we say, "indiscretions" in no way condone the actions of the police that day. That's what all this outrage and protesting is about.To effect change.
As a rambunkshis young man I drove intoxicated...I'm sure many of us have. Then,I had my life turned to krap at the hands of a drunk driver. Perhaps my "Karma."

Just extremely curious about this whole Karma thing. Could be complete B.S. right? Your thoughts?
Rubb.

Very interesting way of presenting his past criminal record and activities..... well played my friend.
I had no idea either, the initial autopsy by the state appointed pathologist said he died of “underlying conditions”, not asphyxiation.
Then the family’s independent autopsy said it was asphyxiation that was the cause of death.... but the fentanyl and meth intoxication may well have had an impact on the cause of death apart from the prolonged boot on his neck, act of savagery.
As for the ‘karma’ suggestion from the Rubb,
He may have opened the door for bad things to happen to him, who knows?
But this mans death at the hands of the police has ignited a powder keg, that is for certain.
I would NOT want to be in Chauvin’s shoes right now.
What a mess, it’s really overshadowed the Covid crisis. . .

Very interesting way of presenting his past criminal record and activities..... well played my friend.
I had no idea either, the initial autopsy by the state appointed pathologist said he died of “underlying conditions”, not asphyxiation.
Then the family’s independent autopsy said it was asphyxiation that was the cause of death.... but the fentanyl and meth intoxication may well have had an impact on the cause of death apart from the prolonged boot on his neck, act of savagery.
As for the ‘karma’ suggestion from the Rubb,
He may have opened the door for bad things to happen to him, who knows?
But this mans death at the hands of the police has ignited a powder keg, that is for certain.
I would NOT want to be in Chauvin’s shoes right now.
What a mess, it’s really overshadowed the Covid crisis. . .
I want to move to NZ

So, those of us who have made poor decisions under the influence of alcohol or other drugs invite the universe to repay us in kind? I'm not surprised at the sentiment in this thread, but the irony is deep.
Chauvin could not have known any of this when he was on Floyd's neck, and more importantly, Floyd was clearly subdued long before he lost consciousness. That's the issue here, not what the victim did a decade ago, or what was in his toxicology report.
And before I'm told "I'm not justifying what happened", consider that is precisely what you are accomplishing, intentionally or otherwise.

Last edited:
If, upon our passing (no matter what the circumstances) we are to be judged by the worst of our actions, then all of us are in deep trouble. A friend once told me that our lives are like a book, and everyone has a chapter of their book they wouldn't want read aloud.

The arresting (and other) police officer's actions resulted in the death of Floyd, not Floyd. He already paid his penance for past transgressions by going to jail and serving his time.

Once he was in custody, he should have been placed in a patrol unit as per SOP not left on the street with a knee on him....that made no sense to anyone...the other officers should have stepped in and made the call to get him off the ground, what threat was he in handcuffs..

What were the cops waiting for? Perhaps a transport unit...but he could have been in a patrol car waiting for this...

Passing a counterfeit bill is not a death sentence, anyone could pass such a bill unless you are knowledgeable or trained in what to look for in a counterfeit bill.

Nah, no such thing as karma, only correlation and causation.
If you do bad stuff and hang with bad people then you might meet up with a bad cop. That is correlation. A mutual relationship or connection between two or more things.

if you are a bad cop and you murder someone on tape, then you are going to jail. That is Causation. Cause and effect.

To bring Karma, spiritualism or religion into it is not rational, even dangerous for those minds already lacking reason.

But then I think Rubb just likes to poke the hornets nest and see what happens

So there is some sort of universal metaphysical justice system system that meters out punishment to the deserving?

I guess my neighbors seven year old child who died a protracted death from brain cancer had it coming?

My mother, a registered nurse for 40 years, deserved bed sores and feeding tubes to did a drawn out death from Alzheimer's?

Tell me, just what she did to receive that from your karma??

No Sir, to be blunt, your musing about karma are an absolute crock of sh!t.

Ken

Regardless of what Floyd did or was doing. The police officer was in the wrong for putting his knee in his neck for that long of the time. That’s not what they are trained to do. It’s a total fucked up deal. Every night I get to watch my city go in flames. MN will have a tough time recovering from this let alone with the virus. We have had a good amount of police good time ups in MN. This one was the icing on the cake. This was either perfect timing or bad timing for some people’s secret agenda

A bit confused. Not sure we can say karma doesn’t exist but causation and correlation do. Many view karma as ‘payback’ - and only that. But in terms of Newtonian Law, we can certainly expect there to be a consequent effect for every causal action – good and/or bad. This is the simpler definition of karma. Hinduism and Buddhism (among others) complicate that definition by asserting the cause-and-effect dynamic operates within the greater system of reincarnation, which essentially destroys the timeline we humans love to attach to Newtonian causation: you can experience in this life effects of actions from previous lives. And the opposite of that, of course; we can apparently take actions in this life that seem to have no consequence. Which nicely explains both why good things happen to bad people and bad things to good.

I believe in cause and effect but would not be surprised to learn this trusted and fundamental dynamic of our beloved universe mutates in unexpected ways at the quantum level.

And while it is tempting to search out and associate temporally effects to causes – and perhaps even soul-satisfying to do so – I believe the spiritual (and practical) lesson of karma (however defined) is that we become more present, more mindful, more aware of the potential effects of every action we take. And in a perfect world, I own up to every action I take – and its myriad of consequent effect.

Regardless of what Floyd did or was doing. The police officer was in the wrong for putting his knee in his neck for that long of the time. That’s not what they are trained to do. It’s a total fucked up deal. Every night I get to watch my city go in flames. MN will have a tough time recovering from this let alone with the virus. We have had a good amount of police good time ups in MN. This one was the icing on the cake. This was either perfect timing or bad timing for some people’s secret agenda
I was with you until the last sentence. This type of thing has happened with monotonous regularity for 400+ years in this country, and it's been happening on camera for the last 30. It's not about perfect timing, it's about regular occurrences. Chauvin was clearly unconcerned with the fact that his actions were being filmed.
Are some people exploiting this for their own gain? Absolutely. Financial, political, social, whatever way you can measure something the dregs of our society are clearly not above manipulating events for their own individual or collective advantage. These ghouls surface every time there is unrest with the intent of stoking the flames to the point of flashover.

A bit confused. Not sure we can say karma doesn’t exist but causation and correlation do. Many view karma as ‘payback’ - and only that. But in terms of Newtonian Law, we can certainly expect there to be a consequent effect for every causal action – good and/or bad. This is the simpler definition of karma. Hinduism and Buddhism (among others) complicate that definition by asserting the cause-and-effect dynamic operates within the greater system of reincarnation, which essentially destroys the timeline we humans love to attach to Newtonian causation: you can experience in this life effects of actions from previous lives. And the opposite of that, of course; we can apparently take actions in this life that seem to have no consequence. Which nicely explains both why good things happen to bad people and bad things to good.

I believe in cause and effect but would not be surprised to learn this trusted and fundamental dynamic of our beloved universe mutates in unexpected ways at the quantum level.

And while it is tempting to search out and associate temporally effects to causes – and perhaps even soul-satisfying to do so – I believe the spiritual (and practical) lesson of karma (however defined) is that we become more present, more mindful, more aware of the potential effects of every action we take. And in a perfect world, I own up to every action I take – and its myriad of consequent effect.
The key part of Newtonian law missing from your analogy is "equal and opposite". When trying to make unpredictable human behavior fit the model equal and opposite goes out the window and consequently the similarities go with it. Physics is predictable, human behavior absolutely is not. To quote Neil deGrasse Tyson: "In science, when human behavior enters the equation, things go nonlinear. That's why Physics is easy and Sociology is hard."

The key part of Newtonian law missing from your analogy is "equal and opposite". When trying to make unpredictable human behavior fit the model equal and opposite goes out the window and consequently the similarities go with it. Physics is predictable, human behavior absolutely is not. To quote Neil deGrasse Tyson: "In science, when human behavior enters the equation, things go nonlinear. That's why Physics is easy and Sociology is hard."

The suggestion being that human behavior is capable of becoming independent of the laws of physics?

Not sure I agree with this. AI research has proven that human behavior is extremely predictable. Understand a person's motives and values and it is quite easy to predict how they will react to a situation.

Back