I have a dilemma and need help FAST!!!!!!

What would you do???

• Total voters

MLSDUKE1

Live from Mom's basement
Registered
I have until 2 pm tomorrow to figure this out...

My wife and I have two kids and a third on the way (Just found out its a girl and her name is going to be Syrie Alysse.) My wife's car is a 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero hatchback. Right now it has enough room for us... but not really enough room for a third car seat.

We have been car shopping and found a 2010 Dodge Journey, FULLY loaded, seriously, and is 23,000 (estimated). Trading in the Saab, they will pay the $15,243 off and our payments would be $450 to $475 and our payments on the Saab right now is $365. They also want money down because we have only had this car for a year and a half.

We don't have the money down that they want BUT I rode my bike up there to meet my wife there. They offered $6000 for my bike out of the blue and while considering this they gave me new figures. There would be No down payment and the payments would drop to $410 a month.

Concerning my bike......... I wanted my Busa since 2001 and finally got it Last Year just before I deployed. I put ALOT of money into it when I deployed and still have plans for her. The reason it took me so long to get her is because I am FAR from rich and I DOUBT very seriously that I could get another bike, ANY bike, any time soon (what with a baby on the way and all.)

This sucks. The Saab will fit a baby seat but it would be kind of cramped in the back seat. I want my wife happy and my kids comfortable but my bike is also pretty much part of me.

Typing this, I know the "correct" answer would be to trade in my bike, get over it, and move on. BUT That is NOT what everyone would do and we ALL know that. What I want is a census on this and please be honest.

Thanks for all of your feedback in advance and I'll be on here as long as I can tonight and tomorrow.

my 2 cents: Family first and above all (this was a no-brainer for me).

hate to say it bro....but fam first. I too had to sell toys as she became pregnant....as much as I love my Bella, she is the first to go should a financial "situation" come up.....and you'd be surprised how soon things will work out and will have another one before you know it. I really believe in karma, and you know the right thing to do. momma will be much happier....:whistle:

I do, however, think you should be getting a better deal for your bike.....negotiate with them some more.

sarting a family is hard you're gonna have to give up the bik and maybe when Zuk comes out with the 3rd gen in a few years you can get another . I think 6k might be low unless its an older model and you didn't do much to it. Good luck with whatever you decide !

Its a 2005 and she has definitely been through some surgery. Good surgery, not crashed or anything

Do what you have to do for the family BUT......DO NOT buy a Dodge Journey!

We had one for a rental on vacation, you will regret that purchase BIG TIME. Go look at a Honda Pilot or something bigger, the Journey won't hold car seats and three kids worth a crap...

Keep the bike at least until the delivery and see how it works for a while with the Saab and if it is too unbearable then trade the Saab in on something a little bigger but cheaper that doesn't require selling the bike:thumbsup:

take it from a guy who has 5 kids. You need to keep the bike. It will be your solice when you need a little peace and quiet or some thinking time.Why would you get rid of something you own outright to make a bill just piddle cheaper? Keep the bike. cheap on fuel and i promise you you will regret getting rid of it. Just because you have kids doesnt mean you need to give up everything you love and enjoy. That is how regrets and grudges begin.

Keep the bike and avoid the dodge journey. Do the math, show your wife on paper it makes since to buy a different vehicle. I have a question for you and we can do the math together.

When they wanted $23k+ for the car with money down and payments were between $450-475, how much did they want down and how many payments?

How much they want for the car if you trade your bike in?

Is the car now $17k and payments will be $410 for how long?

You will see my point when you answer this.

The 2013's will be out in a few months and value will drop $3-5k on your 2010. The best buy on Dodge or Chrysler is to go new for the new owner warranty and cost will be close to used on certain vehicles.

Keep the bike, find another car. Do ya need a 2010 with all the bells and whistles? Wouldnt a 2008 with reasonable miles get ya to the park just the same? Nobody needs surgery, the power isnt gettin turned off, the kids arent hungry. Keep the bike, keep shopping.

Mom with three kids shouldn't leave to much time for riding anyway seems like an easy call. Follow your heart, and if you heart doesn't give you the right answer instead of asking here ask your wife instead :poke: If moms not happy ain't nobody going to be happy :rofl:

Keep the bike, find out how it works out after baby comes, if you BOTH still want/need a bigger vehicle it gives you time to research which one you may want and how far your willing to drive to find a better deal. I can say I have driven the Journey, and while I am a Dodge person, I wasn't impressed with it as much as I thought I would be. Like it has been said you'll need that peace to yourself when riding after having three children. The wife will need her peace with a vehicle that you have BOTH done the research and really liked. Good things come to those who wait. Good Luck and congrats. :thumbsup::cheerleader:

first congrats on your new family addition

Id keep the bike and look at something used/certified. im sure you can find a vehicle in that category coming of lease with good miles and a better price than 23k....just jumping on carmax i found a black '10 SE for $18k with 29k miles. The saab may work out long enough to get up a down payment. Of course thats if wifey is cool with it cuz its all in the name of keeping the bike.

IF not...youll miss a season or two enjoying your family and new addition which is worth it...make the necessary financial mods for those 2 years and there will always be a Busa for sale. i had to opt for the latter when buying our home. and ive missed 2 seasons, ridden borrowed busas from close friends in the meantime, and the light at the end of the tunnel is just a few months away and im back in my own saddle so i know the feeling.

The math doesn't make sense.! The monthly payment will be $450 - $475 with your trade in Saab and payments go down to $410 when you trade in a $6000 bike? That deal is screwed up. I guess it depends on what you owe on the Saab and whats its worth! I suggest you keep the bike and find a better vehicle somewhere else. You will get a better deal later in the year when they try to get rid of the 2012 vehicles to make room for 2013 vehicles.

You ask for honesty?

You have two kids and another one on the way!

You cannot scrape up enough money for a down payment on a car!

Give up the busa and don't attempt to get another one until the one that's in the oven graduates from college.

Buy lottery tickets every week, you may get lucky!

Now that's "Honesty"! :beerchug:

You will loose more trading multiple vehicles. Look for a less expensive replacement for the car that allows you to keep your bike. Car dealers have a 1,000,000 ways to confuse the numbers to make you happy at the time. You shouldn't be rushed into making a decision on puchasing a vehicle.

Back