I have a couple questions

Hulktruck

Registered
I have an 04 busy motor in a quad. Just getting it finished up and at this point the exhaust is cut off where the header goes into 1. Wondering if I need an exhaust on it or if I can just turn it out the side where it is. Also I can't get it to go into neutral.

I have an 04 busy motor in a quad. Just getting it finished up and at this point the exhaust is cut off where the header goes into 1. Wondering if I need an exhaust on it or if I can just turn it out the side where it is. Also I can't get it to go into neutral.
As long as there is some sort of a header there and your not coming right from the engine manifold you should be okay but the lack of back pressure will really hinder your performance. I ran a dumper off my Yosh 4 - 2- 1 header for a half season and I lost a good part of my bottom end power.
A few guys here I know have some used slip ons for sale, if you or someone you know can get a little creative with a welder you can prob fabricate something up and use a slipon pipe.

As far as the neutral, we need a little more info... have you tried getting into neutral without it running? Are you certain you are able to get it into first gear? Maybe there isn't enough downward travel to catch first gear.

You could pop the linkage off and just secure the linkage squeeze clamp back on the shifter shaft and see if you can get it to go into neutral turning that with a pair of pliers.

I have been toyi g with the idea of moving my battery box and dualing out the exhaust so thank you for the info and I will try that with the shifter. Thank you

I have been toyi g with the idea of moving my battery box and dualing out the exhaust so thank you for the info and I will try that with the shifter. Thank you
Re the neutral selection problem, can you give us some more info on this, like is it only when the motor is running, or both running and stopped. Has the motor been apart or had any clutch work done recently, a bit of mechanical/service history would help.

I have been back and forth with the idea of a 1k engine in a 660 or 700 Raptor for years.
The exhaust was the only real hurdle, as I didn't want it underneath where it could be damaged.
The best option seemed to be to run 4 into 2.
2 Y pipes for headers, and one pipe going up and out each side( the way single cylinder stock exhaust is routed on most all stock 4wheelers), custom make some heat sheilds and/or heat tape to keep from cooking your legs.
The gas tank would be custom and under the seat. And a small lithium battery can be put in several places.

Have you got the Busa engine in the 4wheeler frame yet?
Any pictures?

Re the neutral selection problem, can you give us some more info on this, like is it only when the motor is running, or both running and stopped. Has the motor been apart or had any clutch work done recently, a bit of mechanical/service history would help.
I don't know any history on the motor. I bought it opff eBay. Can't get it in neutral stopped or running

I have been back and forth with the idea of a 1k engine in a 660 or 700 Raptor for years.
The exhaust was the only real hurdle, as I didn't want it underneath where it could be damaged.
The best option seemed to be to run 4 into 2.
2 Y pipes for headers, and one pipe going up and out each side( the way single cylinder stock exhaust is routed on most all stock 4wheelers), custom make some heat sheilds and/or heat tape to keep from cooking your legs.
The gas tank would be custom and under the seat. And a small lithium battery can be put in several places.

Have you got the Busa engine in the 4wheeler frame yet?
Any pictures?
Yes it is in. I will take some pics and post for you later today

Yes it is in. I will take some pics and post for you later today
. 2001 CanAm DS 650 frame 1300 busa motor

1CDC39DC-4365-4ACA-AA67-C4299A5BFA8D.jpeg

2AF15BEA-A54B-4751-8CE3-A663F5C2A8DE.jpeg

B51DD4B9-4F8A-4774-A7CA-37FF96803874.jpeg

455FD7B6-FCEA-4411-83B5-4F6B7B477175.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks really cool.
I would make a double Y shaped header with a U bend perpendicular to the down tubes, and come straight up into a gradual 90 degree bend, and have a pipe on each side going straight past the center of the cylinder block, extending out to under the rear fender, attaching to a muffler on each side. Or making an H pipe behind and above the rear shock into one muffler.
And speaking of shocks, that thing would really benefit from aftermarket adjustable suspension, even stock, but especially with the weight and hp of that engine.
Keep the pics and details coming!

I don't know any history on the motor. I bought it opff eBay. Can't get it in neutral stopped or running
This may be a problem? Check the linkage may have been in an accident. Doesn't mean it won't work may not be happy where it is. May have to be a little rough with it while backing it up.

Yeah I figure after a couple shake down runs I will get a better handle on what it really needs. I like the idea of making a dual exhaust. I'll post more as I go
Maybe you can cut up a 2nd down pipe to get the proper angel & length needed to come back far enough. Shortys or megaphone exhaust prior to wheel would be wild to but no reason not out back end if you like. I have Gen 1 down pipe you can have if u pay for shipping.

Maybe you can cut up a 2nd down pipe to get the proper angel & length needed to come back far enough. Shortys or megaphone exhaust prior to wheel would be wild to but no reason not out back end if you like. I have Gen 1 down pipe you can have if u pay for shipping.

Can you say deaf?!!
What?!!!

This may be a problem? Check the linkage may have been in an accident. Doesn't mean it won't work may not be happy where it is. May have to be a little rough with it while backing it up.
I feel pretty stupid now but once I got looking at some pictures I seen that the bike has linkage for shifter and I am just using a shifter off the quad so 1st is at the top then neutral then 5 more gears down

I would definitely be interested in that. Thank you. Figure out how much shipping is to Afton, Wy 83110 and let me know

Back