I got a call. wouldn't sell.

hardwork2

Registered
I got a call from a guy who wanted to see my busa. He ask if I'd take 8 grand cash I told him to come see it. The doorbell rings about 30 minutes later and this kid couldn't have been over 18. After a short conversation about riding and what not. I explain to him this wasn't a beginner bike. Therefore, I think his dad should give me a call before I'd take his money. The boy left. Mad as hell.
The phone rings. Boys dad I explain to him my delima. If he buys this for a first bike He would likely be in 1 of 2 places before monday morning.(hospitol or morgue). The man said "Thank you for not selling it to him he is all I got in the world"Good bye
I'd really like to sell it as my wife might be loosing her job but I didn't want it to go to a beginner. I hope everyone agrees with me.

Good call. You did the right thing. There are so many ppl in this world who would have snatched that kid's money then laughed that the bike wouldn't last a week with total disregard for the kid.

Good on ya bro.

Don

bowdown.gif
I have to give kudos for your intedgrity. I had a similar situation happen a few years ago. I sold a CBR 600 to a kid that was 16. His dad came with him to get it. I gave them the ole speach about respecting these bikes, he had never had a bike period. One of the biggest things I preached was for him not to let his friends ride it, I know that tough, but dont. Well I get a call 3 days later from the dad asking for the banks info who had the title and informed me that his son had let a friend ride it and he went to pass a semi and turned into the path of a car heading the oposite direction. At the time he said he didnt think the kid would make it and it didnt look good. Later if found out the kid pulled though but will never be the same physically, multiple broken bones. We live and learn, but the only bad thing is this kid will just go buy from someone else and you'll probably read about him in the paper, he just wont be on your bike.

good for you man
beerchug.gif
it's a lot easier to sleep at night when you do the right thing and you just did...you probably kept that kid from making a mistake for one more day and hopefully gave his dad a chance to intervene and steer him in a better direction...let's hope so anyway...at least you gave him a chance

Good job.. just hope the dad will learn and talk to him.. about what he should buy.

Very good!! You did the right thing instead of jumping on the money! There should be more people like you in the world and we all would benefit!
beerchug.gif

As both a parent, and a grandparent, I honor your decision. I think the world would be a better place if more folks would look at the bigger picture before protecting their personal position. My hat is off to you.

(hardwork2 @ Oct. 07 2006,12:58) I got a call from a guy who wanted to see my busa. He ask if I'd take 8 grand cash I told him to come see it. The doorbell rings about 30 minutes later and this kid couldn't have been over 18. After a short conversation about riding and what not. I explain to him this wasn't a beginner bike. Therefore, I think his dad should give me a call before I'd take his money. The boy left. Mad as hell.
The  phone rings. Boys dad I explain to him my delima. If he buys this for a first bike He would likely be in 1 of 2 places before monday morning.(hospitol or morgue). The man said "Thank you for not selling it to him he is all I got in the world"Good bye
I'd really like to sell it as my wife might be loosing her job but I didn't want it to go to a beginner. I hope everyone agrees with me.
You are a good man!

bowdown.gif

P.

maybe sometime in about 20 years the kid will be lucky enough to look back and thank you for not letting him have a bike like this so early on.

I thank you all for backing my decision. I've been riding for 30 years and found out along time ago that its real easy to get in over your head. especially when your young and"bullet proof". I am not going to give someone a loaded gun so they can put it to their head and pull the trigger just to see if it works. and I won't sell a bike to someone that the first words out of there mouth is how fast will it go.ride safe lifes short

You can only do what you feel is right. You did the right thing. Hope the kid takes the advice to heart before buying a bike and getting himself and everyone that cares about him hurt.

Good call! The bike will sell to the right person.
cool.gif

I think the responses above cover it.

You made the best possible decision.

Back