I FOUND THE PROBLEM! NOW WHAT?

PADEROLIS

Registered
It's the spark plug closest to the left side, the boot and plug came out together! Now it looks like all I need to do is secure it, but I have'nt even tried to screw the plug in yet. If I fix it, what about my fairings? I have'nt talked to the dealership since 11:47am when I was told they were gonna send somebody to pick it up. This late in the day they probally won't even look at it if they pick it up, my fear is they'll fix the problem after hours and then blame it on something else. It would'nt be so bad if I had'nt gone down because of it, but will I get stuck paying for new fairings for their negligence?

100_0512.jpg

Take a picture and document what you found, put it back together and dont say anything.  See what they say and do.
Worst case your insurance should fix the plastics.

Edit: The plug does look a little wierd. Is that pic of the end of the plug that's supposed to be in the engine..the tip?

...I still don't understand how the rear wheel locked up and you went down just from the engine cutting out...that just doesn't make sense to me.  Now if you were turning or something I could see how that could happen...but...

I've never seen a plug like that. What happened to the bike? I think I missed something. Did the plug break causing a skip and that somehow caused you to go down?

If that's all that's wrong I'd fix it and move on.  Good luck getting them to admit fault at this point.

...I still don't understand how the rear wheel locked up and you went down just from the engine cutting out...that just doesn't make sense to me.  Now if you were turning or something I could see how that could happen...but...
I was turning when it happened, it died on me during the turn. I have the weekend off and really don't want to be without my addiction, so I think I will fix it. Besides I really want to install my PC! I kinda feel like Jim Carry in Liar Liar when he picked up his car from the impound yard, he knew it was a lost cause!

Glad you found it, but I think I would do like BigSimp said and take pics, close it up and let them try to find the problem.

Now I don't know how it works with the bike stealerships, but when a customer complains about something like this at any of the BMW stealerships I've been a tech for....well we take it real seriously and look into. If they jerk you around, show them pics of what you found and threaten them with legal action (think buy-back) and it will get fixed real quick especially if you show them pics of it loose. Just what ever you do don't fix it your self or you'll be SOL!!

UHHH dude your threads to that plug are still in the motor thats why it came out like that, i guarantee you that. Is that by chance an ngk plug? the reason i ask is i just installed a new set of plugs in my commuter bike and on the last one the plug broke loose from the threads right when the plug was tightning up, it looked just like what you are showing us in the pic. I was lucky because it hadnt tightend up much and i backed the threads out of the motor using a big flat blade screw driver

UHHH dude your threads to that plug are still in the motor thats why it came out like that, i guarantee you that. Is that by chance an ngk plug? the reason i ask is i just installed a new set of plugs in my commuter bike and on the last one the plug broke loose from the threads right when the plug was tightning up, it looked just like what you are showing us in the pic. I was lucky because it hadnt tightend up much and i backed the threads out of the motor using a big flat blade screw driver
You hit it right on the nose! The threads are still in the head, I'm so upset right now. The stealership never showed up or even returned my calls. I will be there in the morning... something needs to be done!!

The plugs usually will strip the head (steel plug > aluminum head) so I'd say its probably a bad batch of plugs. Stealership should still fix it because a weary tech should have caught that!! I always use a magnetic socket to install plugs, if something goes wrong the plug stays in the socket = pretty fool proof.

I'm afraid of how long it will take for them to fix this, a friend told me it may need a whole new head and the stealership will give me the run around because it's still under warranty. Is there any way I can get it out myself?

They make spark plug thread chasers but I would not recomend that route as you will be putting the steel spark plug threads and aluminum from the head (the thread chaser will cut the head some) down into the cylinder, the best option is to get the factory to replace the head and the farings on your bike. They should be able to compensate you for your time too, like acouple of month's payments made for you on the bike shouldn't be unreasonable....we do it for BMW owners who complain all the time....

They make spark plug thread chasers but I would not recomend that route as you will be putting the steel spark plug threads and aluminum from the head (the thread chaser will cut the head some) down into the cylinder, the best option  is to get the factory to replace the head and the farings on your bike.  They should be able to compensate you for your time too, like acouple of month's payments made for you on the bike shouldn't be unreasonable....we do it for BMW owners who complain all the time....
Thanks for the advise, I don't want to cause any further damage... hopefully they will step up in a timely manner!
please.gif

Hey let me know if I can help you out, if you need a ride to the shop or whatever. Check your PM for my number.

Back