I didn't think about clearance...

STUNNAH

THE "STUNGUN" IS BACK!&#33
Donating Member
Registered
I swapped to a full exhaust system yesterday...No big deal other members do it all the time...Well let me warn you on this...There were two things I was not prepared for clearance and that the header bolts were allen head...WTF...When I finally got the header unbolted I couldn't remove it from the bike because I had no clearance...No where to run...So I ended up with a small jack...That was scary...With no help and no other way to support the bike (high in the air and cocked to one side)...I carefully removed the header...The install on the aftermarket was not near as damning...So the morale of this story is...If you are going to change your exhaust to an aftermarket full system be prepared for the two issues I discussed...
umnik.gif

If you take apart the OEM exhaust, you don't have to lift the bike at all. I installed a Full Yosh last month and the bike never left the ground.

I also used a swivel head to get to the allen bolts instead of using an allen wrench. Sometimes you just have to have all the tools
smile.gif

you can loosen the radiator and slide it a little you do not have to take it all the way off
cool.gif

you can loosen the radiator and slide it a little you do not have to take it all the way off
cool.gif

When I installed the HMF full exhaust I had the bike on stands. By loosening the radiator support brackets I had enough room to maneuver the old exhaust out and install the new header, even had enough room to tighten the header bolts.

What exhaust did you end up installing??

When I installed the HMF full exhaust I had the bike on stands. By loosening the radiator support brackets I had enough room to maneuver the old exhaust out and install the new header, even had enough room to tighten the header bolts.

What exhaust did you end up installing??

If you take apart the OEM exhaust, you don't have to lift the bike at all.

I had a problem with the header clearance...Shat the mid pipe and can were not the issue...Last time I looked I would have needed a torch to cut the header...

cool.gif
Actually you loosen both the radiator and the oil cooler then you can slide them down and away a bit...However this was still not my problem...My problem was directly beneath the bike...

Anyway this thread was to warn anyone that may be considering a swap...To give consideration and think of what tools you need prior to starting...The front and rear stands probably would have helped me out alot but they were at a friends house...

well, my friend.... hehe......

since this is the first time I've heard of this problem, you must be like the first one in years to try and remove the full exhaust system on the kickstand of a lowered bike....
smile.gif

well, my friend....    hehe......

since this is the first time I've heard of this problem, you must be like the first one in years to try and remove the full exhaust system on the kickstand of a lowered bike....    
smile.gif
Evidently...I removed the header from the zx9r I had all the time never had that problem...I just was not prepared for this...If I help anyone in the future I will be prepared...

Back