I did something today

(05 Busa LE @ Oct. 01 2006,16:53)
Every member of the military takes an oath to protect and defend the constitution and obey the orders of those appointed over them. Says a few other things, but that gives you the jist. So yes it applies across the services.

I know exactly what you mean MC.  I am a instructor at a training base.  That kind of thing get played out almost everytime i go out in public.  This is a small town and there are ALOT of young Air Force trainees around the malls, walmarts, bx ect. ect.  I see groups of them talking like they are in the locker room in public all the time.  Everyone knows the military in this town.  People dont even have to be in uniform to know who is or isnt in the military, the hair cuts give it away.  I to hate to be the one to walk up and say something but have had to on occasion.  There are so many things that an image like the one you discribed can do to the image of the military.  You did what anyone in your postition of higher rank should have done.  You stood up and said something and corrected there behavior.  Maybe next time they will think twice about their image in public because i'm sure they wont forget the encounter with you.

I also firmly believe that in todays society that some of the younger people coming in today are just brought up differently and have a completely different way of thinking when it comes to how they act and who sees them act that way. I'm not saying that everyone is like this but i'm seeing more and more trainees come in to the school here that have such an attitude problem that it gets them into trouble on a regular basis. It's these people that seem to get together and travle in groups and it doesnt matter where they are or who they are with, they act like they are still in high school or like some rap star from an mtv video.
rant.gif

WOW, Shepard AFB... haven't been there since 83 for aircraft maintanance school... in that town everyone knows you are Military.

good on ya.  More people should correct young guys when they mess up.  I've done it a couple of times.  Never had to pull the ID.  Smooth move  
bowdown.gif
there's a time and place for everything. Mall and uniform doesn't mix.

(ridercoach @ Oct. 01 2006,14:57) Good on you MC. Everytime I put on my uniform, when I was enlisted, I represented the United State of Amercia Military. I also represented myself, which I like to keep at a high standard also. Im glad we have good people like you out there still keeping these new enlisted on the straight. Keep up the good work and hopefully more will follow in your shoes.
And this is something that is starting to be sorely missed in the Military today. Lot's of young troops have No idea how to act.

Air Force was the first I think to be hit with this, and they are starting to take corrective actions.

Good on ya.
Know what you mean about hating to do it though. Its bad enough that we have to micro-manage these guys during duty hours but when off duty and off base it does tend to make you feel like the bad guy.
I had to yank a couple of young Marines from their seats last year after the student Ball for their language and general attitude towards anyone that was offended enough to say something.

As far as the no on is holding them accountable for themselves or to a higher standard, you are welcome to come into my workspace ( J Bks ) any time and ask them any questions you want to get a general feel as to the standard that they are held to if they belong to me. Most of us are doing our jobs but with the new rules that we are having to enforce at all times, mainly the curfew 7 days a week thing, the students are that much quicker to try and blow off steam any chance they get. Not realizing wrong time/place.

This nicer kinder crap gotta go. If the NCO's and SNCO's were allowed to correct deficiancies without paper work things might be a bit different, but this command loves its paperwork.

This nicer kinder crap gotta go. If the NCO's and SNCO's were allowed to correct deficiancies without paper work things might be a bit different, but this command loves its paperwork. [/Quote]

Yeah, It's symptomatic of what's wrong with America as a whole. The entire population is becoming so consumed with this idea of "Security" and "Safety" that they are forgetting to take any Personal responsibility for their own wellbeing. For generations the US has sacraficed too many of it's bravest and boldest to wars. It's reducing the available gene pool of those who are not cowards, that do not hide, that know how to take responsibility.

Look how soft in general we have become compared to our grandfathers and even our fathers. There is still courage in many Americans, there is still strength of will and bravery... It's just largley buried in this thick veneer of "what about the childeren" and "Whose going to rescue Me" sentiment and softmindedness...

Sorry...
smile.gif
Bit of a tangent.

Grr... Paperwork!!! Not even allowed to make real corrections, simply get names and fill out paperwork...

Good job MC. I take it your an WO or 0fficer? Sometimes you need to step in & remind the guys who they represent. You did it with tact, truely a mark of a Marine.
Semper Fi Brother.

MC, I was never in the Military, but I have the utmost respect for those that have been and those that are.

What you did says volumes about your integrity and your leadership.

You should not feel badly at all for pulling rank. You did so for all of the right reasons.

beerchug.gif
to you. And thank you for your service.

Vincent - I know what you mean, believe it or not, I am going through the same thing with out students (minus the curfew). I know there are good people out there doing good things, but it just seems the collective mindset is going south.....

there are alot of people there at the food area that owes you a big thanks if they knew what you did. you did what was right . i wished there were more people like you that have respect for others, not just miltary personal i mean everone.
as for the offenders as stated by others here they just want a check, could care less about others.

Hey
beerchug.gif
To you MC! Man that happened on a military base while in uniform!! I guess it was a different world then when i was in one!! Just the hair cut identifying you off base, could get your evening cut short when acting the fool, in my day! F4e was the best, so that's been a while!!
all_coholic.gif

You did a good thing, and the right thing.

And now I have a root beer craving. Thanks Shawn

Many young men in the military also carry this "I'm serving my country so I have the right more than you to do what I want" attitude. I've seen it many times. Some just need a good slap in the face or an officer to set them straight.

Great Job Shawn!! I am sure you have the people who were close enough at the food court thanking you and telling others about the guy who stepped up and did the right thing. Glad it worked out quietly and peacefully. Way to go brother!!
beerchug.gif

No, no thanks from anyone... I specifically tried to do it in a way that no one other than the table knew what was going on... But thank you guys for the comments... I appreciate them...

Good job. You did exactly what any good leader needs to do: Ask nicely at first, then force the issue if you have to. Well done.

(MrGxr @ Oct. 01 2006,15:21)
That's actually true of any uniform. You have to respect the organization which is represented by those colors, be it a mailman, a sailor or a boy scout. How you act is automatically applied to every other person who wears that uniform, whether they know it or not. But they deserve the courtesy of your appropriate behavior in public.

Hell, physical uniform or not, if you have a certain "class" label, you owe it to others of that group to act with civility. We are all busa riders. Sportbike riders. How we act affects all the rest of the busa and sportbike riders out there.

Just a "fer example."

--Wag--

Back