I did something today

MC MUSTANG

Peace Keeper or Ban Hammer-it's up to you; IDMBT#9
Staff member
Administrator
Registered
For the military population out there -
So, I am walking through the mall today.  I rode down there, so I am geared up.  I go into the food court and sit down with my rootbeer and sandwich.  The foodcourt is full, and near the center are a bunch of young Sailors (6, three in uniform, three not) and they are having a very loud conversation chock full of vulgarity.  Now, anyone who knows me, knows that I have about the most vile speech patterns of anyone I have ever met - it wasn't the language that bothered me, it was that the food court was full of people, including children.  It was one of those scenes where the ambient noise was getting louder, so the Sailors kept getting louder and people were just looking at them with disdain.
So, I walk over to thier table, pull up a chair and am immediately hit with WTF do you want?  Who the #&^$ are you?
I say, listen, I am in the military just like you guys, I and I am just asking you guys to either keep your volume down or stop with all the cussing in front of all these people - so they don't start thinging less of the uniforms you are wearing.
Thier response? Mother F^^*er, you need to get up and leave us alone.  We can talk any dayum way we want.
I had had it.  So, I took out my ID card and I set it on the table, and I tell them that they had better very carefully consider the next thing that they said to me.  I had asked nicely, but that time has passed.  Now, I tell them that I am going to go back to my sandwich and rootbeer and when I look back a their table, it needs to be empty.  I then picked up my ID card and walked back to my food.  When I loked back at thier table, they were putting thier trays on the trash cans and leaving the food court...
I hate doing things like that - but here's what I just can't understand... why couldn't they see that they were offending people?  Why couldn't they see that they were disrespecting thier uniforms and causing others to do the same?  Why couldn't they just accept the suggestion and stop with the cussing and have some common courtesy for the people around them?  

I don't understand...  thanks for letting me vent...

I understand but maybe it will strike a cord in some of them. Although you didn't like to do it, I respect the fact that you did and I am sure all those with kids appreciated it beyond words.

Thank you, on many different levels.

Now if you could just do something about all that rap music
tounge.gif

Shawn

As you stated "young Sailors" you did the right thing...in time they will learn what they have should already
sad.gif

Have only had to do that a couple times thankfully. Some people just don't think, care or understand.

Cheers to you Shawn for taking a stand that others wish they could do.

When you are out with a bunch of people you feed off of each other, if its a church group then every one needs to be baptised. If its bikers then non-riders are punks, Drag racers hate stunters, you get the point.

Luckily you had the credentials to handle the situation with little violence, on other occasions gentlemen can really get themselves in trouble.

I thank you for doing the right thing and setting an example. Examples like this are the reasons I am a member of this board and your friend.
bowdown.gif

I appreciate the coments - I guess maybe I am victim to the "OIGTBIW" syndrome -
The older I get, the better I was. I rememeber not having a lot of control over myself, especially in groups, just like Greg said. But it usually only took someone to say something that sort of woke me up to what was going on around me. That's the real problem that I have, is that I can't understand why it had to be confrontational... I just hate to do that stuff -

You are more than welcome for the venting....
When in uniform you better be on your best behavior, especially these days, you not only are representing yourself, but you are representing the whole US Military.
Most of the younger crowd these days do not have a sense of accountability for pretty much anything they do and that leads to what you had to do today. Its a shame when a nice calm word or two is all that should be needed, yet you are forced into a situation of confrontation.
What you did was not only good for the Military as a whole, but for those young sailors as well. They were acting like a$$es and were called on it... sure they gave you crap and probably griped about it the whole time they left, but they left and hopefully one or two of them will remember this the next time they get loud in public and they will correct the situation themselves. (hopefully?)

Well, here in PCola, there are so many new Marines and Sailors who are students that are herded around and micromanaged that it is easy to see why some wouldn't feel that sence of accountability - they don't have to. No one is holding them to higher standard or making them feel responsible for themsleves... most people in the military are great citizens and wonderful people.

all i can say is  
beerchug.gif
 to you...

there is a time and place for almost anything (there are a few exceptions) but some people do not recognize that just because they "can" do something doesn't make it right...

there were probably plenty of other people sitting there wishing that someone else would do or say something but too afraid for whatever reason to do anything themselves...

at that point, i believe it becomes the responsibility of those that can, to do what is needed to remedy the situation (please don't take me wrong, i detest bullies and am not advocating that might makes right by any means)...

i don't think you could have handled it any better...thank you for making your corner of the world a little better for the people around you and hopefully your new "friends" will learn something from it

"most people in the military are great citizens and wonderful people."

I absolutely agree with you... that is one of things I miss the most about being out.
I was making more of comment about Society has a whole though... I have children in High School and even there they want them to be the responsible one, yet they don't have any consequences for doing the wrong thing... well any that really matters.

Sorry if I came across as being down on the Military, I wasn't trying to be. I am sorry.

Good for you, MC. You did the right thing. And for us non-military people, what does the ID card say, and what does it mean?

George,
I know what you meant and didn't take it badly at all...

Shawn

05 Busa LE,
It the ID card is exactly that, it identifies the holder. By showing my ID card - I showed them my rank, which was higher than thiers. I try to not make an issue of rank, becuase I believe that true leadership has little do do with how long you have been in the military or how many times that you have been promoted. Sometimes, though, leadership breaks down... and you have to resort to telling someone how things have to be. I really hate doing that.

MAN I HAD TO DO THAT WHEN SOME KIDS WHERE OUTSIDE WALKIN AROUND WITH NO COVERS ON THEM AT ALL. SO I HAD TO ASK WHERE THEY WHERE. THEY ASKED WHO THE HEC I WAS I TOLD THEM WELL BEFORE SOMEONE WHO IS NOT AS NICE AS ME WILL NOT BE SO HAPPY

Thanks for the info, BigBS and MC. And excuse me for asking a dumb question, but does that mean a higher-ranking Marine can "address" a lower-ranking Sailor? (And does that mean rank applies across all of the services?)

MC, unfortunately there are those out there in the military that are here just for the paycheck and could care less of those senior to them other than being threatened they will do what they will. some change their ways, some don't, but they are out there.

Good on you MC. Everytime I put on my uniform, when I was enlisted, I represented the United State of Amercia Military. I also represented myself, which I like to keep at a high standard also. Im glad we have good people like you out there still keeping these new enlisted on the straight. Keep up the good work and hopefully more will follow in your shoes.

Back