I Cut My Butt off This Weekend!

Fireman6615

Registered
Well I've been reading everything I could find here concerning aftermarket undertails or cutting the stock undertail/mudflap on my 06. Lots of information here on the pro's and con's of each, I mede the decision to cut mine off considering what I read. I bought a used uncut stock battery tray/undertail off E-bay and it also came with an airbox that had the small airbox done, which I was also wanting. That way I could cut it up and still have my original. I used the old trusty dremel and cut it off and then used a series of files and sanding paper to get the shape I wanted. One thing I was mostly interested in was keeping the stock tag mount and the stock turn signals, so when I cut the mud flap off I kept left the portion that hangs down for the tag. The sanding wheel for the dremel made the rounded edges look good. I also bought a tag mount bracket from Cycle Gear that had the tabs for turn signals to be mounted to it. Its adjustable so I lined it up to the holes where the original wiring for the turn signal went through the undertail and bolted the bracket using these holes. Then I tacked welded the bracket so it took the adjustment out of it and drilled 2 new holes for the wires. I also cut the rear reflector off and made a plastic piece from a storage box to fill the rear where the reflector was, using a heat gun made bending it like I wanted easy. I then added a set of rear LED's and wired it to the brake lights so they flash when the brakes are applied. While I had the rear tore off I also added an auxiliary power block with a ground block and my Scorpio Alarm that I had. All wiring connectors are still stock plug and play so I can take it all back to completely stock if needed. I also installed the modded Airbox and a GiPro Indicator/ATRE while I was at it, took it for a little spin and very happen with the smoothness of the old girl, she's pushing about 32,000 miles on her. Here's a few pics, pretty happy with the new look!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Get rid of the blinkers and mount some next to the little led lights you have on there (are they blinkers?) Then she'll look sexier than ever! :2cents:

I thought about going with some aftermarket blinkers, but I like the stock blinkers, mostly because with aftermarket I would have had to cut the stock signal wires, which I didn't want to do. Most aftermarket I found locally were chrome and LED's which I didn't want. I always have the option of changing it later.

I took that bracket that you have your signals on and made that my license plate holder. I took the whole flap ordeal off.

Wow, This looks better than I thought it would -- great job!

I've been looking for an undertail for a long time and haven't come across any I liked. This (or something very similar) is probably the way I will end up going.

I really like the idea of purchasing a spare rear tray and working on that so if I was to screw it up or decide I don't like it in person for some reason I can just switch back to the original tray.

--Sky

I'm slow, just couldn't make my mind up what I wanted to do and ran across the deal for the tail/airbox and went for it. After the first cut there was no turning back!

Good job. Fuses rarely blow, however it looks like you'll have to pull the tail to change one. Of course you keep your trunk open for additional storage. Looks good. If you've ever been behind someone with those integrated or LED turn signals you'll find out quick that you made a good decision on the signals IMO.

Looks good! I understand the desire to keep the turn signals. In my case, I wanted the extra visibility and also didn't want an easy excuse to be pulled over. In fact, I have three turn signals on each side of my undertail:

mototekmed.jpg

Back