I Cracked My Front Fairing!

Creasy Bear

Registered
Ok, so the weather is nice here in Maryland and after all that snow melted I figured today would be a good day to pull my baby out, start her up and wiper her down. I go to back her out of my house, briefly loose my footing and she tips over against the wall. I thought the bike would put a hole in the drywall, but instead my mirror folded in and my fairing cracked around the base of the mirror :banghead: ( I would've preferred the hole in the drywall).Anyone have any ideas in between ducktape and a new fairing on how i can reasonably fix this prior to the bash? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Oh man that sucks. Other than new OEM or ebay, I don't know of anything that will be 100%. I have seen some plastic welded pieces come out fairly decent. Depends on how particular you are.

dental acrylic works wonders on ABS plastic :) you can also use some fiberglass with the fiber sheets and get it solid, then sand/paint it to match

Big drag. Sorry to hear it. :(
Good luck with the temp-fix.

How bad is the crack? I rode with a 2" crack in the same location for quite awhile....no problems at all with it.

dental acrylic works wonders on ABS plastic :) you can also use some fiberglass with the fiber sheets and get it solid, then sand/paint it to match

I'll look into the dental acrylic and give that a shot. If I go any further I may do more harm than good

it's about 2 inches total. the mirror seemed to still be secure but there was no wind hitting it.

Mine was just below the mirror, from the edge on into the fairing at a slight downward angle for 2". Never really flexed or anything but it was a good split. Still rode it until it was fixed this winter. The mirror is bolted into the fairing stay, it's gonna be secure no matter what.

that sounds similar. I have about two months to get some rides in and see how it holds up.....and if necessary get that fairing fixed for the season.

that sounds similar. I have about two months to get some rides in and see how it holds up.....and if necessary get that fairing fixed for the season.

Should be just fine....rode at the Bash last yr with my crack. :laugh: Fairing crack that is...

Sorry to hear about the tip over. I have the same type of issue on my tail section and the left fairing. My body man is going to fix the damage and respray the fixed panels. The stock decals I will order from the dealer and put them on myself. Good luck with getting the damage fixed.

BMGA2184.JPG

sand the backside and put this stuff on there.

Wield it from the inside. It'll only take a couple of minutes, no need to mess with fiberglass or any ither chemicals. A hairline crack will be visible, but no painting required.

This is what happens when you go out riding and dont invite me...

Creasy bear....

thats sucks man, i was gonna offer a replacement OEM for free BUT...just saw ur is a gen II...sorry man...try plastic weld....

Last edited:
ive had good luck so far welding plastic with a soldering pen like welder/melter. if its just a crack, melt it a little along the backside, or the plastic epoxy looks promising. good luck, i can empathize. i am dealing with a big crack and broken pieces of a right side fairing.

Back