I can't believe my wear bars are almost exposed

OldMan

Registered
I've only had these tires (Michelin Power 2CT) on the bike for about 3000 miles and it's going to be nearly time to replace them :banghead:. I'm sure there are a lot of threads on here already but anyway, what is the longest lasting tire that will still give me a good grip in the corners? And why is the front tire, which was put on at the same time, showing so much LESS wear?

I have 8k on my Pilot Road two's and it looks like I have another 4k left. I commute a lot. No twisties in Nebraska.

:laugh:didn't you know? Busas eat tires.
4000 is about the norm for alot of folks. some get more, others burn through a set in a day on the track.
you can get a tour tire and get more mileage but you will pay more for the tire. i just burn through Dunlop Q2's. for $200 a set, and they are the stickiest tire i have ever had. i'll just replace them every 5000mi. the piece of mind i get is great. and i don't really need a stickey tire. im not that aggressive a rider, i just like to know i can be and the tires will hold if i come in to a corner too hot and have to really lay her over to make it.

your rear tire will wear quicker, it gets worked harder with all the hp pushing it.

well that's my 2 cents anyway. hope it helps. :beerchug:

Avon Storm 2 Ultra, Pirelli Angels or Michelin PR2 or 3s will all give you better mileage with a minor loss of grip at max lean angles.

I run the Avons and get about 7k out of them almost exclusively 2 up. 2 rears to a front.

Posted at 150 mph via Tapatalk

my last set of pirelli angel's gave me 18k on the rear, and 25k on the front. i only replaced the front tire because it was starting to cup. still had plenty of tread left in it. rear was getting pretty smooth in the center though.

my last set of pirelli angel's gave me 18k on the rear, and 25k on the front. i only replaced the front tire because it was starting to cup. still had plenty of tread left in it. rear was getting pretty smooth in the center though.

WOW! 18k?? Did you ever get out of C mode? :laugh:

i weigh about 145, and was doing 180miles round trip to school last year. so most of that was constant speed interstate cruising. but i raise hell on the on/off ramps! the guys at the dealer couldn't believe it either, til they checked my odometer

but for comparison's sake, i used to get about 7k on my pirelli diablos. loved those tires but werent cutting it for my needs at the time. best i ever got was 8k on a rear.

You are trading wear life for grip...i'll take grip over tire life anyday.

You are trading wear life for grip...i'll take grip over tire life anyday.

The loss of grip under normal riding conditions is slight. Less than optimum conditions(rain for example) grip is better. Not everyone is worried about dragging knees or doing track days.

Even Tuf has posted he runs a Bt023 rear 016 front combo when doing long rides. The 023 is considered a touring tire is it not??

I have a feeling your riding habits make you a 3K guy :laugh: The rear tire goes first because of all the torque.

4200 miles and my wear bars or showing on the Power CT2. I also got around 4000 miles out of the OEM Bridgestones.
What can you do the compound has to be soft on a 200HP motorcycle.
If you twist the grip your tire is going to shread, at WOT the tire is spinning 1st-3rd not blowing the tire away in smoke but slipping on the asphalt.
Part of owning a high performance motorcycle, whats next? why you only get 40MPG and not 75 like the Ninja 250 LOL!
If you dont want to buy tires on the AVG of 4000 miles, buy a hard compound tire, ride it in C mode only and never go over 1/2 throttle I bet you can get easily double the mileage.

Yes rider weight has a lot to do with tire wear also, Damn 145lbs.:beerchug:
I am guessing you are the lightest Busa rider here on the forum.

The way I look at it is if $300 worth of bike tires(2 rears 1 front) in PP 2CT's and if they will last me 6-8k miles in total and still be a decent tire, and that is roughly the price of 1 decent tire x4 for the car then that would equal 24-32k miles on a set of car tires for the same money. ??? I'm more than happy with that.:thumbsup:

Play Hard = Pay Hard, Any ?'s :laugh:

did you carry it everywhere ? lol

The loss of grip under normal riding conditions is slight. Less than optimum conditions(rain for example) grip is better. Not everyone is worried about dragging knees or doing track days.

Even Tuf has posted he runs a Bt023 rear 016 front combo when doing long rides. The 023 is considered a touring tire is it not??

Let me give you my reasoning for running a dual compound rear touring rear tire and performance front tire!

The front tire is the control point for every motorcycle. It controls steering and braking. I always want to know the front is planted. No matter what brand of tire I have chosen, I want lots of grip and stability on the front.

The rear has a contact patch almost twice the size of the front so it doesn't take as much sticky stuff to manage the rear as long as one is not hogging on the throttle while leaned over. Smooth throttle input is the key to maintaining rear grip. These current dual compound touring tires give remarkable grip on the edge as well as the center. I can pick the front up with a little clutch bump without spinning if the tire is warm and it's much easier to manage loss of traction on the rear than it is on the front. The 23 rear gives me adiquate traction to plant my knee anytime I desire once it's warmed up.

If granny pulls out in front of me I want enough grip on the front to lift the rear tire skyward for my own safety and I won't get that with any touring tire.

I have found that with the BTO16 front and the BTO23 rear the two tires wear out about the same time. True with the Q2 front and Roadsmart rear. I run either setup depending on the price at the time I need new rubber.

Let me give you my reasoning for running a dual compound rear touring rear tire and performance front tire!

The front tire is the control point for every motorcycle. It controls steering and braking. I always want to know the front is planted. No matter what brand of tire I have chosen, I want lots of grip and stability on the front.

The rear has a contact patch almost twice the size of the front so it doesn't take as much sticky stuff to manage the rear as long as one is not hogging on the throttle while leaned over. Smooth throttle input is the key to maintaining rear grip. These current dual compound touring tires give remarkable grip on the edge as well as the center. I can pick the front up with a little clutch bump without spinning if the tire is warm and it's much easier to manage loss of traction on the rear than it is on the front. The 23 rear gives me adiquate traction to plant my knee anytime I desire once it's warmed up.

If granny pulls out in front of me I want enough grip on the front to lift the rear tire skyward for my own safety and I won't get that with any touring tire.

I have found that with the BTO16 front and the BTO23 rear the two tires wear out about the same time. True with the Q2 front and Roadsmart rear. I run either setup depending on the price at the time I need new rubber.

+1, I took Tuf's advice a few months back and tried a Q2 front and a Roadsmart rear. It's a great combination! They are the first set of tires on my Busa that are wearing evenly front and back.
At around 3k miles they've already outlasted everything else I've tried, even though there isn't alot of life left in them.
They stick great in curves too, and I liked them so much that I have another set waiting to go on.
Thanks Old man:laugh:

I am gonna order a set of Shinkos next.

I am gonna order a set of Shinkos next.

Great! Shinko USA has paid me handsomely to promote their products! I recommend them to everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Except my immediate family and close friends! :laugh:

Back