I-10 here in Jacksonville, I freaking hate concrete roads!

ScottC

Registered
Not sure if it is cheaper to concrete highways or use asphalt but there is a LOOOONG stretch of I-10 in Jacksonville, Fl that is concrete and instead of repaving the road the dig up part of the concrete and patch. Sounds good right? NOPE, becomes uneven and hell to ride on, mini bumps all the way.

Oh how well I remember the days of dirt paths, I would rather be on your imperfect concrete. :laugh:

It really helps if they scrap the top 1/4 in off it and grove it for rain.

I feel your pain. There is part of I275 on the Sunshine Skyway that is bumpy like that. I find if I go faster it gets better :whistle:

+1 ScottC,
I'm with you; here in Jacksonville myself and I-10 section is truly a pain. I-95 after downtown headed south is the same until you get to 295 south as well; there you have the newer outside lane which is better but you still get the bumps here an there.
I'm here in OceanWay on the north side and commute daily about 50 miles round trip (Baymeadows). 295 over the Daimes Point seems to be a better route. But if there is a road to dig up; the City of Jacksonville will surely have a crew digging.

I'll be in Jax for Christmas! I was raised in Middleburg and plan to borrow my brothers bike while I am there so if you see someone waving their fool head off at ya, it just might be me!

Rio

man I've been in JAX for a bit for work, heading back down this week actually.... didnt realize we had many members there. I agree the roads have some issues they redid I95 over near JTB and its crappy now too

I'm in Jax as well and I agree I-10 is terrible on a bike. Feels like you're on a rollercoaster with huge speed bumps. Glad I don't have to ride it everyday.

Concrete is more expensive than asphalt, but it lasts longer and is easier to patch. The bumps you guys are feeling is from contractors not knowing what the hell they're doing when they put it down. The only other reason for concrete not being smooth is that the subgrade has deteriorated. That situation can be corrected by injecting urethane under the concrete to raise the low spots.
I drive a concrete truck for a living, and it amazes me the people that pour concrete (and have for years) and don't have a clue what they are doing. Not just Joe Homeowner I bring concrete to on a saturday morning, but contractors that make their living off this stuff. It ain't rocket science......

Back