Hyundai Theta II engine failures ( GDI ) Our Elantra is Dead !

there is so much out there its hard to say . From piston coatings , timing , GDI design causing detonation = beating rods / pistons up . They are also oil burners all of them . In 4000 miles we add about 1.5 quarts .
Our capacity is 4.23 us quarts with filter change . I check it every month / 150 to 250 miles

When mine was replaced, the dealer told me the info they had from Kia was something about machining debris not getting properly cleaned out and causing premature failure. Yes, they correct the issue. I was impressed how they stood behind their product and excellent customer service from the dealer. Other than that, just a fuel pump, A/C compressor and standard maintenance over 217,000 miles, so I had a great experience with Kia.

Last edited:
Incridible!! New cars are very sketchy now a days. One of my customers vans, a ford transit with only 8k on the clock developed a knock and we are currently battling with Ford because they claimed lack of maintenance when I showed the pm records, they claim abuse.
I got the same b/s when my F-150 injector hung open and hyrdolocked my engine. I bring in the bent rod. Which looked pristine (proving regular oil changes).

It's never Ford's fault.

Toyota on the other hand sends me a recall on a 10 year old car to say we think your dash "might" crack, so we wish to replace it free of charge.

So who do you think I want to buy my next vehicle from?

I have a rusty rear bumper on my Ram which as less than 50,000 kms on it.

The service manager told me I have to keep the chrome clean...I told him to check his glasses because I have painted bumpers and my truck is generally spotless even in the winter...they had better replace that bumper....
Idk what it is with Chrysler and their paint but living in Detroit I see a lot of them and as far back as the first generation dodge neon I've been watching the paint come off in large patches or almost seem to rust from under the paint. I like the idea of getting one of the ram rebels but even if i could afford one id be Leary because of the way the paint reacts around here. I will say that when I lived in south Carolina I didn't see as many with the paint issue so maybe it's something to do with our northern weather.

Idk what it is with Chrysler and their paint but living in Detroit I see a lot of them and as far back as the first generation dodge neon I've been watching the paint come off in large patches or almost seem to rust from under the paint. I like the idea of getting one of the ram rebels but even if i could afford one id be Leary because of the way the paint reacts around here. I will say that when I lived in south Carolina I didn't see as many with the paint issue so maybe it's something to do with our northern weather.

The rest of the truck is like new, it's just the darned rear bumper. A body shop owner explained why though.

He said they use square slots in the bumper to hold on the plastic topper and generally the paint is really thin, add a bit of vibration moving the plastic topper slightly and the paint wears.

He advised that if I do get a new bumper (and I had better) to bring it to them anyway so they can fix the thin paint issue. He said he's seen new bumpers out of the box that were starting to rust.

On another note, one of my friends had a Ford Windstar and one day we were driving along and a huge chunk of paint flew off his hood...that thing lost almost all it's paint and Ford wouldn't do a thing as it was off warranty.

There was a time frame in the past that Chrysler and General Motors both used paint that ultimately delaminated over time. General Motors had a huge recall over it on their Silverado trucks in the mid-late 90s. The new dodge vehicles don’t have that issue.

There was a time frame in the past that Chrysler and General Motors both used paint that ultimately delaminated over time. General Motors had a huge recall over it on their Silverado trucks in the mid-late 90s. The new dodge vehicles don’t have that issue.
The white OBS GM's were the worst.

The white OBS GM's were the worst.
Not so, I had a brand new Ford F 250 , paint started coming off 35 months in , ford put me off and a lot of others, law suits started , Ford fought it till most of us had new vehicles, then they caved and repainted some, courts said the rest of us could suck eggs. Seems a water based paint was the cause?

Not so, I had a brand new Ford F 250 , paint started coming off 35 months in , ford put me off and a lot of others, law suits started , Ford fought it till most of us had new vehicles, then they caved and repainted some, courts said the rest of us could suck eggs. Seems a water based paint was the cause?
I was meaning of the GM's that had paint issues. I'm not familiar with the fords.

Incridible!! New cars are very sketchy now a days. One of my customers vans, a ford transit with only 8k on the clock developed a knock and we are currently battling with Ford because they claimed lack of maintenance when I showed the pm records, they claim abuse.
Ford is the worst for warranty work!!!!! They fight like no one else I’ve dealt with. My 2013 gray transmission has sounded like a bucket of loose bolts since 30k miles and all the techs claim is “normal”, even though the car didn’t make these noises before it 30k miles.

Honda’s white paint is just as bad and dealers try to ignore customers. I have friends that have had luck going through corporate, but my cousin is fighting Honda on her white odyssey right now. The whole roof and hood have a 1/3 of their surface on bare metal.

Technically it’s not the vehicle manufacturers paint. They all use whichever paint manufacturer that will sell the paint to them the cheapest. They order paint toners by the 55 gallon drum. My Silverado might have PPG paint on it while the guy down the street might have the same truck produced a month later that has Sikkens or Standox paint on it. That’s why paint companies wait for these vehicles to be unloaded off the ships or the railroad cars so they can scan the paint and produce the different alternates or “shades” that they all have because of the variation in paints used at the factory. When you take your car to be painted at a body shop, the painter chooses which alternate matches your vehicle and that’s what is used for the repair.

Update . It took them 8 days total including weekends to get the car back to us . The Elantra GT runs better than it ever has . Now the head was decked a wee bit bumping compression slightly . Our warranty is now 120,000 miles on engine only or 10 years from service date of July 7th 2014 . Keeping the car as we do like it very much . Its almost paid for in less than 2 years .

Back