Hyundai Theta II engine failures ( GDI ) Our Elantra is Dead !

c10

Registered
Some of you may know of the issues with engine failure of this design that is used in multiple models . Sonatta , Santa Fe , Elantra . The failure is Sudden with no warning or lights . Sunday my wife calls in a panic the Elantra almost died , and now is knocking loudly . I drove to her work 2 miles away , and listened . It was terrible to say the least . Checked the oil it was fine . Decided to drive it home , and dive into it . Once home I removed the system drive belt to make sure it was not a water pump , AC , Alternator . It was still there . Called Hayundai Monday , and we were out of warranty by 2 months ( 2nd owner get 5 years or 60,000 miles ) However a case number was given . I reached out to my local dealer , and arranged it to be towed in . Called later that day Rod Knock , and its been driven in high water ! I explained the engine was washed for the Tech , and the water they found on top of the intake manifold ( outside engine ) was from that . Called back today , and the service writer agreed the car was to clean , and no water was found anywhere in the car . Next step after this 89.00 fee was $275 to remove oil pan , and Cylinder head for inspection of service frequency. They would be looking for water in the oil , and sludge build up in the valve train / head . I agreed as if it was to be covered by possible warranty they had to show proof photos to Hyundai corporate .
Don called me at 12 pm today stating # 3 rod bearing spun . Oil was good , and no sludge in head . Cams / valve train looked new . All information submitted to Hyundai .
5 pm tonight Don calls again with Hyundai's decision . 90% coverage of replacement engine , but no rental car coverage . My cost $500 plus the towing .
Tomorrow a replacement remanufactured engine will be order , and if none avaible a new one .
I did not sleep last night with this on the plate . Recently we have taken some pretty hard hits from good old IRS , some home repairs , and Kids even though they are grown . The horror stories of hundreds / thousands of people getting the shaft from Hyundai had me feeling sick . We still owe $7240 on this 2014 car .
It was purchased used in December 2015 with 28,400 miles , and now has 44,400 miles .
That is 15,xxx in four years . I'll sleep tonight as $500 is a pill I can swallow . Replacement engine is $5000 !!!

I wanted to share this so any of you members can consider this if you own one or want to buy one . In Febuary 2020 I will trade in the car on a new little Nissan base model 4 cyl manual Frontier . We wont be driving it till then ;)

Last edited:
I saved my security video incase I had to prove the engine was washed.

DSC_5700.JPG

DSC_5710.JPG

DSC_5709.JPG

2012 Kia Optima and I got a new long block at 155,000 miles. Kia covered it 100% plus a rental car (original owner). I drove it for 26 more months and just sold it last weekend with 217,000 miles. I was really surprised how well it held it’s value. Especially considering the high mileage. I bought another one.

I have a rusty rear bumper on my Ram which as less than 50,000 kms on it.

The service manager told me I have to keep the chrome clean...I told him to check his glasses because I have painted bumpers and my truck is generally spotless even in the winter...they had better replace that bumper....

Hyundai has been getting a lot of bad press lately. I have a Toyota Tacoma truck and a Honda Accord car both have been excellent ( knock on wood). The car magazines don’t rate the new Tacoma’s that high except in reliably and resale value, I’ll be getting another Tacoma.

"The Soul recall covered nearly 379,000 vehicles from 2012 through 2016. Documents showed that high exhaust gas temperatures can damage the catalytic converters, which control pollution. That can cause abnormal combustion and damage pistons and connecting rods. A failed connecting rod can pierce the engine block and cause oil leaks that can cause fires. "

Have a look at this . . high gas combustion temps damaging the catalyst and causing detonation etc. Detonation damages big end bearings as we all know.
My daughter recently bought a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe, I tried to steer her away from it cause I've never liked or trusted GDI engines, the carbon build up on the Mitsubishi GDI engines was really bad. The GDI design has inherent issues, that's for certain.
I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy, 2.5 litre NA motor, CVT trans, great car, I bought it with100k miles on it, it now has 150K miles, no trouble whatsoever, I do 240 miles per week commuting to work and back. Great car, economical too.

Last edited:
One of my good buddies has a santa few sport with the turbo. His motor seezed 2 weeks ago. Luckily for him he bought it certified used so they are replacing the engine at no cost and gave him a rental.

The lawsuit alleged casting slag got into the crankcase clogging the oil passages. Hyundai knew it was an issue, and knew the cause, and knew it was their fault but refused to pay. Thus the lawsuit.

Not a Hyundai but I just talked to my neighbour in his brand new 2019 Toyota Tacoma..

He had a 2018 Chev Silverado before and went through 2 transmissions-one went at 4000kms and the other went at 7000kms. He sold the truck as soon as he could after 2 transmissions went in it....

The day he drove the truck home after the 1st transmission change, the fuel pump went out-had to be towed to the dealer...again.

He does tow a boat but it is a small one and it is only 4 kms to the boat launch...

It seems it's always something with vehicles....

Reactions: c10
Bill out 2015 GMC sierra 1500HD has had two ECU's changed , and a few recalls of flashes to the ecu .
Seems stable now . We tow our RV trailer often , and it weighs 5500 pounds packed up . Also we take the bikes in the bed some times for longer trips . another 1000 pounds :)

Bill out 2015 GMC sierra 1500HD has had two ECU's changed , and a few recalls of flashes to the ecu .
Seems stable now . We tow our RV trailer often , and it weighs 5500 pounds packed up . Also we take the bikes in the bed some times for longer trips . another 1000 pounds :)
The neighbour In question had a 2015 Chevy and never had any issues, bought the new 2018 and "boom!" Sure left a sour taste in his mouth

So the motor issue appears to be a QA issue not an actual design flaw correct?
The issue appears to be fully corrected around 2016 ish

Back