Hurricane Katrina

Friend of mine just passed this along...

A National Geographic article on what could happen if New Orleans were to get hit with something huge (obviously it's from some time in the past).  Scary to read it and see how accurately they predicted so much.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/
sad.gif

What about BACHARLES? HaS ANYONE HEARD FROM HIM?
Been trying to get a hold of him.  All circuits busy on his land lines and his cell phone always goes to voicemail...  Just keep leaving messages... Hope he's okay...

Praying everything is okay......
He's been on my mind a lot...someone please post up if you get in touch with Brian...I hope he's okay...

Prayers for all those affected...it's so unreal...
sad.gif

A friend passed this along... completely gut-wrenching account of some of the stuff happening there. Some of the imagery is pretty gut-wrenching; consider yourself warned.

Terry and I just returned from New Orleans where we had planned to celebrate our anniversary. Unfortunately, our long weekend got even longer when we were forced to take shelter at the Louis Armstrong Airport in New Orleans for three days after United Airlines canceled our return flight. The stories and sights we witnessed have changed our lives forever.

Thankfully, American Airlines performed a rescue mission and brought us to Dallas, Texas on Tuesday evening. Even though the airport received substantial structural damage, has only one runway that is usable, no power, and is littered with debris, American performed a heroic act by risking their plane and crew to rescue nearly 240 stranded travelers. We left behind hundreds of injured and homeless people camping out in the airport terminal.

The first day, Acme Oyster Bar, an airport restaurant, fed us what little food and drink they had. After that, we had nothing. When we asked an airport official what their disaster strategy was, we were told they had none. There was water and cots available for airport personnel and security, and yet several elderly people in their eighties and nineties were sleeping on the cold tile floor or in chairs.

Another stranded traveler went across the street to the Airport Hilton after the storm. They had empty rooms available but she was told by a manager that Jefferson Parish had called them personally and stated that they would pay for their empty rooms. Therefore, no tourists were allowed to stay in the hotel.

My husband and I were staying in a small quaint hotel in the French Quarter. When United Airlines cancelled our flight, we tried to move to a larger hotel with stronger facilities before the storm hit. The lady I spoke with at the Sheraton told me that all hotels were closed, even though they were exempt from the mandatory evacuation. She said their hotel would be asking guests to leave because "they did not want to be responsible in case something happened."

We were told by an airport official that most airlines had cancelled their incoming flights early because people had dropped their flight reservations. The airlines did not want to deadhead into New Orleans, even though they would have had a full flight going back. Some passengers had already boarded the last remaining flights on Continental and Southwest. A woman told me that a Frontier clerk had promised her a seat on their last flight for $2000.

We shared the floor with many, many homeless and lost families. Those of us who had only suitcases, were sleeping on the floor on plastic garment bags from Southwest and cardboard from FedEx. Some took floor mats from the ticketing area as padding. The toilets overflowed when the water and power were lost. A temporary generator offered dim lighting for a day with a few scattered fans for ventilation. One man tried to sell the garment bags for $1 each to unsuspecting shelter victims. People gathered around those who had brought battery powered radios, straining for bits of news from the outside.

A woman arrived at the shelter after being airlifted from the roof of her house. She had two plastic bags of clothing and her dog. She was not allowed to bring either. She killed her dog before she left to save him from a death by drowning. She cried when telling us the story.

We were told of an elderly woman who could not leave her house. As another family was rescued from their roof, they told the crew of the woman. Minutes later, they approached her home, looked through the last remaining window that was visible above the rising waters and saw her face bobbing against the glass. Luckily, she was rescued alive.

A group of firefighter's wives and families were camped next to us. One of them was relieved to hear their house made it without much damage. The other lost everything. And still she offered support to others.

A frail woman in her eighties walked endlessly up and down the terminal pushing a wheelchair with her cat, Fritz, in his carrier. She worried that her pet was not eating and several people offered her their food that they had brought with them. Another stranded passenger loaned her a leash and collar so she could take him for a walk.

A Hispanic woman took shelter with her husband and eighteen year old son who had just had brain surgery. He was still under physician's care for a bronchial infection, and was running a fever. The air was stagnant and humid with little circulation in the airport confines, making his infection worse. His mother and father took him to their nearby home without authorization. They had no water, no power, and little food but they wanted to go home.

Rescuers in boats were forced to push floating corpses out of the way as they searched for survivors.

Gangs began to fight in the Superdome, forcing many people to leave after three incidents of stabbing. Looting was rampant.

The heat is oppressive, the humidity beyond endurance, and their hope is dwindling. There is no water, little food, and limited shelter. We walked over a mile to a small market that we heard was open. After waiting in line for over three hours, we were able to purchase some Gatorade and snacks. It cost us $26. They were selling bread the day before for $5 a loaf, a case of soda for $21. We bought a container of baby powder to help with chaffing from the sweat. It's original price had been $1.69. We paid $7. Money means nothing when your basic instinct is survival.

When we boarded the American Airlines rescue flight, there was personal hygiene care kits and snack boxes on each seat. I had a cola with ice after the plane took off. It was the best meal I can remember!

If you can donate to the Red Cross, please do so. These people will be rebuilding their city for months, and in some cases years![/QUOTE]

I jut made a donation via the Red Cross web site.

Living in Central Florida, my family and I experienced 3 hurricanes within 3 weeks last year. The reports are that Katrina left MUCH more devastation than all of the hurricanes we had in Florida last year (4) combined. The reports are awful. So much death and devastation, and now, complete anarchy (looting, violence, etc.). I really feel for those people.

Do what you can do to help, folks. These people are really in need.

any members or  members who have family or friends in those areas, i Pray and hope that they are OK.
Mom's in Mobile, her power is still out as of today but the house is fine. She is in the city of Mobile but apparently on high ground.

Kevin
Mom called, power is back on at her home in Mobile, she is in much better shape than most and she knows it. She said it was hard to complain about her conditions this week knowing that so many others are in such worse conditions.

Kevin

I have contacted Delta Ailines to help get my nieces out of Bay St. Louis, MS. I used my Delta Airmiles for one of the tickets. They transferred the miles at no charge (useally they charge $10/per 1000 miles). That saved me $250 on airfare. Since the girls are 7 and 12, I chose a route that would keep them on the same plane from Pensacola to Seattle. I will be picking them up, with Teddy Bears from "Build-a-Bear" Workshop. They have only the clothes on their backs, so I will be taking them clothes shopping so they have something to start rebuilding their lives with.

The girls will be living with their Grand Parents until their mother can get back to Oregon, and get her life going again. Sandra (my sister) will be staying in Mississippi up to a few more weeks to help other relatives in that area get a place to stay. The family's pulling together to take care of Sandra and the girls.

I haven't herd from anyone else in that area yet.

Can somebody PM me with the phone and address for BACHARLES? I'll see if my sister can reach him, or check his house (if she's near).

Thanks,

Doug

Unreal...

Glad you got your nieces out Truwrecks!!

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125699602 -->

I have contacted Delta Ailines to help get my nieces out of Bay St. Louis, MS.  I used my Delta Airmiles for one of the tickets.  They transferred the miles at no charge (useally they charge $10/per 1000 miles).  That saved me $250 on airfare.  Since the girls are 7 and 12, I chose a route that would keep them on the same plane from Pensacola to Seattle.  I will be picking them up, with Teddy Bears from "Build-a-Bear" Workshop.  They have only the clothes on their backs, so I will be taking them clothes shopping so they have something to start rebuilding their lives with.

The girls will be living with their Grand Parents until their mother can get back to Oregon, and get her life going again.  Sandra (my sister) will be staying in Mississippi up to a few more weeks to help other relatives in that area get a place to stay.  The family's pulling together to take care of Sandra and the girls.

I haven't herd from anyone else in that area yet.

Can somebody PM me with the phone and address for BACHARLES?  I'll see if my sister can reach him, or check his house (if she's near).

Thanks,

Doug
That's the way it should be done. Thank you for taking responsibility for your family members.

Kevin
smile.gif

I got this PM from BAC today:

"Thanx for the concern, but I'm cool. I live about 3hrs west of New Orleans and we didn't get even a single drop of rain."

It's good to know he's okay!
smile.gif

Doug

Back