Hurricane gustav and me

mikev7

Registered
I was directly to the right of the eye of the storm. I evacuated to baker la. The worst mistake i ever made. I live in new orleans and I never spent a day without power food or ac when katrina destroyed the city and put 6' of water in my house. This storm was different. My house was fine though. Just a few shingles blown off. I lost no vehicles this time.

My little adventure. Missing some stuff but i was too busy for details. It might be a little much but im happy to have power and food again. I was exactly to the right of the eye of the storm.

It wasnt bad to start. A little wind and rain is all.
IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Yo yo, then bout a hour later things started to pick up. You can see the wind buffeting the rain off the roof in the distance. It stung like getting caught in the rain on a bike.
IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

The roof started peeling off the hotel.
IMG_0931.jpg

More wind/rain. It was going pretty good.
IMG_0939.jpg

You can see the posts bending. One snapped in front of the hotel. A large tree fell on the lines 2 blocks away.
IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

Round the center of the storm while i had the cam out a trailer busted open. All i heard was pop, then debris falling.
IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

The best pic i got of the trailer. I was riding round in the storm. I dont think anyone was in it.
IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

Tv helps with no power.
IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Power still out. That morn the western inn kicked everyone out in the rain in the morning for no reason.
IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

I ended up sleeping in here. My uncles garbage truck yard right down from the hotel.
IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Entering kenner. Almost no traffic on the i-10. Airline was bumper to bumper cause everyone anticipated the 10 to be packed.
IMG_0025.jpg

Made it back home and everything is in tact. Too bad for my homeys house.
IMG_0032.jpg

The worst pic of all. Went to get my car from my other friends work place and found this. NOOOOOOOOO!
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

The only flooding i seen in n.o.
IMG_0033.jpg

Amazing the power of these storms! Glad your house was okay.

Thanks for posting up the pics. Sorry to see the bike toppled over. Does insurance cover that?

That aint my bike. I dont know if he had insurance. If he did i hope it covers that. I ride a 07 bus and a 06 gix 6. My bikes where in baker la with me. They where in a trailer inside a building.

Thanks for sharing pics...I'm so glad Gustav wasn't worse...glad your home is intact too :beerchug:

Wow, hang in bro. We sent crews to help restore power last week. Glad your ok.

Just remember things can be replaced. After getting back from Rita my place was a mess! Many thousands of dollars worth of damage to my house and shop. The Busa? well it was safe in a junk yard at the time, it was totaled a few weeks before the storm hit! This time I worried because I left it behind. Beaumont got thorough without much damage this time. I just spent 28 hours straight shutting down one of the gulf coast plants, then left 4 hours ahead of Gustav's land fall. Good luck.

I am really impressed to see these pic's and to read the impressions. Glad that you are lucky.
Here in Germany we haven't Hurricanes, I am happy about that.

Greetings

Just remember things can be replaced. After getting back from Rita my place was a mess! Many thousands of dollars worth of damage to my house and shop. The Busa? well it was safe in a junk yard at the time, it was totaled a few weeks before the storm hit! This time I worried because I left it behind. Beaumont got thorough without much damage this time. I just spent 28 hours straight shutting down one of the gulf coast plants, then left 4 hours ahead of Gustav's land fall. Good luck.
Rita ment nothing to me cause katrina had already done it all.

Katrina and me.
untitledqqqq.jpg

ezo4na.jpg

ezo6u0.jpg

Rita ment nothing to me cause katrina had already done it all.

Katrina and me.

Wow. How heart breaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it was three years ago.

I'm still working on figuring out some way to raise money for the rebuilding effort - people do care about what's going on there.

I had a pocket bike a piagio scooter 2 expensive mountain bikes and 2 cars that where lost also. I rebuilt the zx9 and sold it to a friend. Its still on the road. I sold the dirt bike and pocket bike to two other friends and they rebuilt them and theyre still on the road. Both cars went to the junk yard.

After katrina, living in my office.
Picture003.jpg

Sold it to a friend.
IPHONE636.jpg

Im a bike addict. Just for show. ..3 years of bikes counting the zx9 rebuild. 2 cars also. lol.
DSC02312.jpg

IPHONE123.jpg

IPHONE126.jpg

IPHONE551.jpg

IPHONE542.jpg

Last edited:
Yea it got me around. Now if i can only get my busa and 600 from baker la back to n.o. id be a happy guy.

Back