Hump Storage mod complete....

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Well, after this w/e ride, and freezing my tail off, I decided to do the hump storage mod.

Unbolt the four bolts securing the white base to the hump, 10mm wrench. Clean inside the hump, soap and water followed by drying. Using dremel w/ cutoff wheel, cut the center section of the bolt hole mounting tabs, this allows the bolt/pinch nut assembly to slide onto the bolt tab (Pic 1 and 2)

Measure and cut foam to follow the inside contour of the hump for sound deadoning and prevent damage. Using 3M Spray General Adhesive, coat the inside of the hump and the backside of the foam, let sit one minute minimum, then press into place ensuring all contact area is bonded. (Pic 1).

Using hex bolts (6mm x 1.0 x 16mm, from Home Depot), place a drop of RED locktite on the threads and screw into the underside of the pinch bolts and tighten. Next, using dremel with the cutoff wheel, flatten out a spot about 4 threads down from the working end to allow drill bit to bite w/o slipping off (front hump bolts flatten out front, the latch side flatten out the sides). Using a small drill bit, drill a hole thru the bolt on the flat side, again, you want the pin to go in-line with the bike on the two front bolts, and side to side on the rear bolts. (Pic 3)

Install the 4 bolt assmeblies by sliding onto the mounting tabs. Lower the base over the bolts and retain using 3/8" Ring Cotters (Home Depot). (Pic 4 and 5).

This will definately help next time I'm riding in the mountains, or pretty much anywhere. My wife wont ride with me so having the hump on is not an issue.

Enjoy. (MC, I finally took pic of something ;) ).

Charlie

Link Removed
Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

I make these kits down here. Took a lot of doing. Those bloody fastener catalogues are near impossible to read. Took me two months. I'm an expert now. lol. I am halfway through developing a convience kit for them. Fleecy bag for the sunnies and wallet, a pair of glove inners, a bagged splash coat and a neck warmer. Maybe some other stuff. I'm still coming to grips with the overlocker. The hump mod comes in at $26. Way better set up to most kits and I'll throw in free post anywhere on the planet to club members and a cool sticker for the truck. Actually, two stickers to anyone who rides a busa from another planet, one for the truck and one for the intergalatic space cruiser.

humpmodfull.jpg

Kenny, I wanted to do something like that, but didnt want the hassle of sifting thru the pages of fasteners either
smile.gif
I ended up caught in the mountains while carving up some road, sun went down and we got cold quick. With another ride coming up this w/e to the same spot, I had to get the storage now. But for those able to plan out for it, your setup looks very nice.

It was a right pain in the arse. X + Y - A / 4 = bolt. I got it bang on in the end. Straight in and no work needed. I actually phoned about 40 bolt companies all over the world and eventually found the right company around the corner from my workshop, go figure. Thank you for the nice compliment, Cat. (how come I can't edit my posts?).

Charlie,
Looks good, there are several versions of this mod and the bottom line is that the best way to do this mod is the one that works for you! (if you don't believe that you have obviously not seen USN04limited's hillbilly cabinet mod).

Thanks for the pics!  
cool.gif

(KennyMac @ Sep. 11 2006,06:05) It was a right pain in the arse. X + Y - A / 4 = bolt. I got it bang on in the end. Straight in and no work needed. I actually phoned about 40 bolt companies all over the world and eventually found the right company around the corner from my workshop, go figure. Thank you for the nice compliment, Cat. (how come I can't edit my posts?).
Cant edit....Cap is still fixing a few bugs in the new siteware, I had the same thing happen in another post.

LQQKs good CAT3 ! These would have made the job alot easier by using these predrilled bolts. I only found out about them recently from Heavy Busa. I'll be buying a couple of these babies the next time I'm out and about.
DSC03054.jpg

I think Heavy Busa got them from Northern Tool. I'm gonna check with my local Grainger,Lowes, and Home Depot first. Because I can only order by phone with Northern Tool which isnt a local business in my area.

If you find them before me give me a holla or post it up.

(Rhythm @ Sep. 13 2006,07:53) I think Heavy Busa got them from Northern Tool. I'm gonna check with my local Grainger,Lowes, and Home Depot first. Because I can only order by phone with Northern Tool which isnt a local business in my area.

If you find them before me give me a holla or post it up.
Thats an ACE (or mom and pop) hardware store bolt.... Lowes hardly carries freaking metric at all!

Back