hump/grabrail mod??

hemi

Registered
i would like to modify the hump like i have seen others do on my 08 busa so i can have the grabrail and hump on at the same time. I think it looks pretty good, and the grabrail gives me something nice and sturdy to hold on to getting the bike on stands. Had a few questions, is it pretty quick and easy with a dremel tool, any chance of the paint chipping away using a small grinding wheel on the dremel. Anybody know the exact measurements of the cut i need to make. After doing the mod, with the bar off and hump on are the cuts very noticeable. Any help would be great

I'm not into it, haven't done it. Most of your questions will depend on your workmanship. You lay the hump over the rail to make the measurements. From what I've read it's a lttle more work on the Gen II

thought about it, i think i might just leave it alone. I think the busa's look pretty good with the grabrail/hump installed, but i don't want to hack up my cowl. I could just see me a couple weeks down the road wanting to take the grabrail back off for that clean/sleek look on the busa and i would have two big notches towards the back if i did the mod. My fiancee really likes riding on it, but we rarely go anywhere that we can actually ride together, so 95% of my riding is solo. Just gonna leave the hump on with no grabrail for now

That's how I roll, but if you're uncomfortable with doing the grinding, someone here might be open to doing the grinding for you..... :super:

Personally, I leave the grab rail off unless I have my companion....just makes it easier for crooks to lift from both ends..... :oldcool:

If a thief wants to lift it they would just stick a pipe trough to top of the wheel on both ends and pick it up.

That's how I roll, but if you're uncomfortable with doing the grinding, someone here might be open to doing the grinding for you..... :super:

Personally, I leave the grab rail off unless I have my companion....just makes it easier for crooks to lift from both ends..... :oldcool:
Good point you just chainged my mind about it.

I just did mine while i was painting it, i could make a template and send it to you. Its not easy also you have to grind some out underneath the hump.

I just did mine while i was painting it, i could make a template and send it to you. Its not easy also you have to grind some out underneath the hump.

I would like any information anyone has on this mod...I attempted it a few months ago and never did succeed. I now have the two cutouts in my cowl and a partially hacked up base under the cowl. I stopped when I decided I would have to cut out the mounting points for the bolts under the cowl itself and felt it would not be safe or hold on tight enough to run at higher speeds.

If anyone has pics or a step by step process please post. I would like to finish the job.

Did mine and it didn't take that long. I put a little putty on the mounting bolts for the grabrail and dry fit the hump to mark where to drill for relief, came out great

If you put a piece of masking tape on the paint side where you are going to grind it shouldn't chip.
Just use a sanding tube and not a stone attachment.

I did mine and love it. I never take my rail off unless I need to take the tail piece off completely. I personally hate seeing the hump without the grab bar on it. Just my 2 cents

i did it on my gen 1 years ago and it wasn't too bad. you have to take it easy and hold that dremel with 2 hands so it doesn't run away from you. i like the mod but if you ever wanted to go back to the sport hump, there is a big gap. that was the only minor drawback that i ran into

Back