Huge loss of power @6000rpm + Bike falls on its face BLAAAAWW?

blacknblue02

Registered
Please help? Any one with great knowlege about busas. I have an 02 with a little over 30,000 miles on it. It is 100% stock. I have run motul and mobil 1 oils in the bike and keep it regularly mantained. Valves were ajusted at 26,000mi and fuel pressure was checked at rpm with a remote fuel pressure gage and was told my fuel pump is OK. But dont know if that is true or not or to believe the mechanic that checked it. All rubber conections to Throttle bodys are on good and the flapper in the airbox works perfict when I started it and watched it open.

It feels like the bike is just running out of fuel or like an old carb bike would run without the airbox on. The bike runs and idles fine below 6000 and does not show any error codes.

Could fuel pump be bad?
How long do most fuel pumps last?

Thanks

Mike Balzer

Fuel pump is the prime suspect. Mine also tested perfect using the Suzuki procedure for testing. Put it on a dyno with the fuel gauge hooked up, and when the throttle was opened up with load, the pressure dropped to 10 psi.

With that kind of mileage, it is probably the pickup screen for the fuel pump, and not the pump itself . . . either way, you still have to remove the fuel tank, turn it upside down on a blanket, and remove the pump. When you remove the two phillips screws that hold the pump into the sump, you can slide it out (don't forget to disconnect the wires!) and you will be looking at the screen on the bottom of the pump. See how much crap (if any) is in there. If so, clean it out and replace it. You also have to keep in mind that there is another screen inside the plastic body that holds the pump - check that also!

I agree with Frank ^^^^ a good cleaning could get you going again. If not, replace the fuel pump then.

Last edited:
Mine turned out to be a cracked plastic housing leaking fuel back into the tank after the pump, the pump itself was fine. Ebayed the entire assembly for $50.

plugs.....?

if the plugs are worn out, it can feel as if it is starving for fuel.....it will run fine at idle, and low rpm.

Dirty air cleaner?
Clogged fuel filter?
Compression down?

You have spark. Who knows about the compression without checking.

We are back to fuel since the spark and compression fire off the bike. So, to narrow it down... Are we starving for fuel pressure? Gas and air need to be in proportion, so the air cleaner comes up as a variable as does the fuel filter that relates to "fuel."

Thank you all for your inputs,
I thought plugs might be a problem so I recently changed them and the original ones looked good still.

When the bike fell completly on its face the tank was 1/8 full, then I filled the bike up and it was a little better but still had a huge loss in power.

I apreciate the information about the fuel filters located on the pump. Are both filters easily inspectable with the pump removed?

I wish fuel pumps werent so EXPENSIVE, this is not an airplane.

could pressure regulator that attaches to the pump be bad? Suzuki does not sell pressure regulator by itself.

Thanks for all imputs,

Mike Balzer

Last edited:
Thank you all for your inputs,
I thought plugs might be a problem so I recently changed them and the original ones looked good still.

When the bike fell completly on its face the tank was 1/8 full, then I filled the bike up and it was a little better but still had a huge loss in power.

I apreciate the information about the fuel filters located on the pump. Are both filters easily inspectable with the pump removed?

I wish fuel pumps werent so EXPENSIVE, this is not an airplane.

could pressure regulator that attaches to the pump be bad? Suzuki does not sell pressure regulator by itself.

Thanks for all imputs,

Mike Balzer

POWERHOUSE has all kinds of used parts for Busas that are still in great condition. With all the turbo builds that we do, we have a lot of used pumps and pump parts - including new filters - in stock. Find out what the problem is first, take the thing apart. Then once you know - if you want - give us a call!:cheerleader:

Thank you Frank,
I will deffinetly let you know what I find out when I take it apart.
The maintenance manual has a fuel Volume check that lets you know if the fuel pump puts out the required amount in 30sec or so. I may be a week or to till I have the time to check into it further.

Back