Hows this for bad luck

Fireman_on_a_Busa

Registered
I have no idea what it is, but I never had this problem with my old Busa.  Coming home from work this morning, just riding along enjoying the brisk NC air, thinking about the stock exhuast modification I was going to do when I got home,and all of a sudden the bike is getting hard to turn.  I had experienced this before, and thought to myself, I have a flat tire.  Sure enough, I had picked up a roofing nail about 3 miles from my house, tire was flat, so I basically had to walk it home from that point.  Got home, took the back tire off, completed the exhaust modification, fired the bike up, and it did sound better, but I would have to wait till the bike shop openned to see what it sounded like on the street.  Bike shop openned up, went in had a new DUNLAP put on the bike, and proceeded to head back home.  Got new tire on the bike, then backed it out of the shop, for a quick spin around the block.  Went about 5 miles, looked down the fuel light was on, so off to the little hole in the wall store for some go go juice.  As I pulled into the store, I felt a bump in the rear, the was occuring at a regular basis.  Stopped the bike, got off, and low and behold, I had picked up another nail, but this time it was not a standard roofing tack.  This nail was a 10 peeny nail, which by the way, makes a really nice size hole.  5 miles on a tire, yep you guessed it, I plugged that bad boy till I could get it home, to take the tire off to go get a new one.  The point of the story is, use your on opinion, but it seems to be that DUNLAPs are nail magnets.  I will be heading to the bike shop again to get a new tire, but I will proceed to burn this new one down to the ground.  Pictures will follow this time.  I have spent a small fortune in the past 2 months on tires, and I have been babing them.  Now I carry a plug kit with me in the hump area, and murphy's law probably will help me out here, that I will never have another nail in a tire, or atleast I hope I don't.

I feel for you man. No kidding, the same thing happened to me last Thursday but I didn't realize it till the time I was ready to go riding with Sledhead. I filled up my tire (slow leak) and made my way to Sledheads house with all the bikers there. Rode in the rain also, just a note because I had just Zanno'd the whole bike. Any ways, we pump 45 lbs of air into my tire and we are off. Tire held true but the stupid fact remains that I had her up to 150 that day with the group and should be shot. Made it home no problem but dead flat the next morning. New tire coming in soon.

So, I understand to a point. Not the two tire point but still frustrated. Road King is laughing at Busa in the garage for the first time.

Paul

Ya, nails suck.. I took a 1" screw in the rear tire just before my vacation.. was touch and go getting it in at the dealer and mounted the night before I was due to leave.. My dealer came through though, and yes, my vacation was wicked.. will post pictures - eventually!! sorry about your bad luck though.

Sounds like just bad luck...I've run Dunlops before and have had a couple of flats...but that's 20+ years of riding...
Ride safe...

My side job is in a metal recycling rayrd. I have had many experiences with flats. Last 208 that came off was actually slashed!
tounge.gif

Sorry to hear yer bad luck.

Talking to the local Cruizer riders at work, it was suggested that I go and try to get a tube for that tire, to save it. Actually, run a tube in a tubeless. Has anyone ever heard of this, will it work, what is the down side etc. Any comments.

Tube..hmmm..may generate a lot more heat...plus hole in the tire..inside patch,maybe....I wouldn't do...it...Bad luck..is all..couldn't happen three times in a row..keep fingers crossed....And fry that Dunlop till it pops.....pic's please.

Sorry to hear about the unlucky stroke. Regarding the tube, I wouldn't do it.

That is some bad luck with those tires. Sorry to hear about it.

Dude,
sad.gif
You live in a new Housing development or something? My only advice would be to keep in the wheel tracks as much as possible, and try to keep your eyes open. Oh and Definitely invest in a quality compact tire repair kit. It'll at least get you home.

Talking to the local Cruizer riders at work, it was suggested that I go and try to get a tube for that tire, to save it.  Actually, run a tube in a tubeless.  Has anyone ever heard of this, will it work, what is the down side etc.  Any comments.
NO NO NO, Running a tube inside a modern Radial tire is a Super BAD Idea... Cruizer friends are not to be trusted...

IF you have a bike with radial tires that came from the factory with tubes thats different, otherwise Tubes inside a radial create huge amounts of heat and will go BLAMMO!

My thoughts are this. With the incredible amounts of power that this bike puts out, cutting corners on something like a tire (patching, stop leak, plugging, tube) that all the power transfers through is not worth it. I bought a brand new one just to be sure.

coulter1_copy.jpg

Never had it happen with only 5 miles on the new tread, but I have been there with 100 miles on the new one. Look at the bright side, bad things happen in 3. So you have one more flat to go thru and your done.
biggrin.gif

when are they coming out with a run flat for a busa, would make us all alot happier... but its going to have to be at least a diablo

Call the shop, and there is not a tube made for a busa back tire, and I would not do it anyways. Everyone is correct, there is to much power on the big busa, so I will get a new tire Tuesday when they open. I almost burnt the tire down Sat after the hurricane did not appear, but I have to wait for a bigger audience, and someone that can run my digital. Pictures will be coming soon.

Happened to me on less than a hundred miles but not 5! btw no tube in a radial no way, even a inside sealed plug would be better than that and after chatting with those who have ahd a plug let go at speed... that's a NO - NO too!

Back