How's she as a tourer?

welcome

far as sport tour i love it. i had a backrest welded to a luggage rack. now i do not have to worry about the wife or the kids flipping off the back

DSCF0588__Medium_.JPG

Have my share of back problems,a degenerated l5 disc.The busa is better for my back by far.With the bent over seating position it tends to arch the spine therefore pulling the disc spacing further apart.With a upright seated bike like the yamaha warrior i had my back hurt a LOT more.Sitting straight up with all my weight compresses the disc and really hurt a LOT more.Rode 150 miles on the warrior that was all i could take totally sucked,have done 500 miles on the bus with no worries.

My back problems may be totally different from everyone else but the busa is the way to go IMHO.Good luck with your choice.
beerchug.gif

My Busa is a great sport tourer, I can do 500+ trips in a day, but my wife who is 5'8" can't do more than 100 miles a day, not enough leg room for her,  actually she wont ride on it at all since she got her own bike, but she does say our CBR1100XX is  much more comfy as a two up bike. has a little more leg room, but the stock seat is terrible. you might also look at them, (CBR1100XX Blackbird)

I couldn't think of anything more boring than to be a woman on the back of a motorcycle (especially a busa) for a ride over 200 - 300 miles. That's boring enough in a car, let alone on a bike getting blasted by wind, etc.

(PaNDeM1C @ Sep. 27 2006,14:58) I couldn't think of anything more boring than to be a woman on the back of a motorcycle (especially a busa) for a ride over 200 - 300 miles. That's boring enough in a car, let alone on a bike getting blasted by wind, etc.
I guess I never thought of it in those terms. But some ladies just dig the view!

IF i was u i would look at the yamaha fj or the honda above.. i have taken many 300-400 mile trips and it is still a sportbike and i reaper risers. my .02

Thanks for all the advice. I've looked at the ST and the FJR. Even looked at the Concours. I like some of the features--like the hard bags, the shaft drive--BUT I love the way the 'Busa looks. I like the low mean attitude it portrays.

I'm only 33 years old, but I know I'm never going to reach the max. performance this machine can offer. I looked at the insurance aspect today and realized that I will really have to want this bike before I make that move.

Thanks again folks.

(Strait Line @ Sep. 27 2006,14:11) Have my share of back problems,a degenerated l5 disc.The busa is better for my back by far.With the bent over seating position it tends to arch the spine therefore pulling the disc spacing further apart.With a upright seated bike like the yamaha warrior i had my back hurt a LOT more.Sitting straight up with all my weight compresses the disc and really hurt a LOT more.Rode 150 miles on the warrior that was all i could take totally sucked,have done 500 miles on the bus with no worries.

My back problems may be totally different from everyone else but the busa is the way to go IMHO.Good luck with your choice.
beerchug.gif
My spine is ok (I think) but honestly, if I sit upright to long, I get lower back pain and my a$$ does begin to hurt. But leaning forward a little, ELIMINATES all my pain. Have U noticed BMW sport touring bikes? U lean forward a little...they must be doing something right.

(bigoltool @ Sep. 27 2006,17:13)
(PaNDeM1C @ Sep. 27 2006,14:58) I couldn't think of anything more boring than to be a woman on the back of a motorcycle (especially a busa) for a ride over 200 - 300 miles. That's boring enough in a car, let alone on a bike getting blasted by wind, etc.
I guess I never thought of it in those terms. But some ladies just dig the view!
What view? Their face is planted in the rider's back!!! (on a busa, at least).....

(KROOZER @ Sep. 28 2006,03:51)
(Strait Line @ Sep. 27 2006,14:11) Have my share of back problems,a degenerated l5 disc.The busa is better for my back by far.With the bent over seating position it tends to arch the spine therefore pulling the disc spacing further apart.With a upright seated bike like the yamaha warrior i had my back hurt a LOT more.Sitting straight up with all my weight compresses the disc and really hurt a LOT more.Rode 150 miles on the warrior that was all i could take totally sucked,have done 500 miles on the bus with no worries.

beerchug.gif
My spine is ok (I think) but honestly, if I sit upright to long, I get lower back pain and my a$$ does begin to hurt. But leaning forward a little, ELIMINATES all my pain. Have U noticed BMW sport touring bikes? U lean forward a little...they must be doing something right.
Good Lord!!!

The Busa is a mixture of race and sport.... and with a little bit of "touring" in it. It's a bike that was made to be comfy in a sitting up posture... but needs the rider to "tuck" for high ass speeds....

It's not what I'd call a touring bike.... well, not for 2-up touring. I wouldn't want to be a passenger on a Busa for a 300 mile ride! No way!!!

But... that's just me.

But... for the "rider"... the Busa is great for riding long distances!!! Very fun! Very comfy! So on, so forth.......

I'm 59 and enjoy my Busa. My wife rides with me quite often and praises the Tobin seats because her butt takes a couple of hours to get sore and the small raised section at the back gives her some sense of security. For you, adding the mods I did - higher, flatter HeliBars with a small riser under them, a lower seat (which joins the bars in taking weight off your hands, wrists and arms) and lower pegs make a huge difference. A higher screen, cruise control and a couple of other improvements like gel grips help, too.

I bought mine 206 miles from home three years ago and rode it home after not riding any bike for 20 years. I swore my earlobes were resting on my knees, my knuckles were going to scrape the ground on every turn and that I'd made the worst mistake of my life. But now I wouldn't part with it and just turned down an insanely high offer for it.

It grows on you, I guess.

Ed

this is great.... honestly the reason i got the Busa is because it is right for just about anything. An all around bike. It can be a tourer, it can be a custom show bike, a racer, etc.... for me its great cuz i just ride when i can (mostly to work). And its nice that the bike is appreciated by all groups.
cool.gif

I am thinking of selling my other bike cause I don't ride it anymore. The Busa is too much fun and great for wahtever you want to do!

With all the above info I'm sure you'll come to the right choice for you and the wife...........and...........welcome
beerchug.gif

Man,,, I hate riding 2 up on my Busa. My girlfriend always fidgits around fixing her boobs and stuff when we stop...When we are riding she always plants her helmet into my back...I don't know why?
rock.gif
??
SHOCKED.gif

(PaNDeM1C @ Sep. 28 2006,05:13)
The Busa is a mixture of race and sport.... and with a little bit of "touring" in it. It's a bike that was made to be comfy in a sitting up posture... but needs the rider to "tuck" for high ass speeds....

It's not what I'd call a touring bike.... well, not for 2-up touring. I wouldn't want to be a passenger on a Busa for a 300 mile ride! No way!!!

But... that's just me.......
leave it to you to tell us how to ride our busas.
wink.gif

you like your point of view (again (see example 'kickstand mod') lol )...and that's good... but perhaps you have a different riding style that doesn't afford your passengers much of a good time.

my wife and a number of pre-marriage ladies, love(d) going for rides.....
300 miles in an afternoon can go by very quickly on the busa ...especially when broken up by lunch and riding with a group.
at the spring bash, my wife was totally in love with the mountain views and different things she saw along the way. They actually get to enjoy more of the "ride" part because they do not have to play 'pilot' as well ........ unless of course they are hanging on for dear life..as may be your case....
so with your post added to mine...we almost have a nickel!
all_coholic.gif

No experience with two up but have toured it loaded for a 4,000 mile ride thru six states. No complaints whatsoever.
brave.gif

IMG002__Small_.JPG

A Busa at stock height doesn't need the kickstand mod.

But... I should have been more clear. I wouldn't want to be a passenger on a Busa for some long freeway trip. But I can see how it could be fun for rides down scenic roads like PCH in CA or the gap...

Back