How would YOU feel about this?

I think that it would be better to just not have any personal cell phones on company property.

I guess I missed that point too :banghead:

That is over the top. Policy should allow them to state no cell phones during work hours. But they should not be able to go through your cell phone and search for information. There is no reason to. If they want no cell phones on you while working then there shouldn't be a cell phone. If they want them off, then a simple prove it's off is all that is needed. The only reason this should even be thought of is if they are investigating someone neglecting some portion of thier job to talk on the cell phone.

Agree but the last sentence in your post leaves the door wide open.

Several employees are getting phones in there wifes/others name thus if something should happen a Court Order does not come into play.

Sad huh?

r8

Several employees are getting phones in there wifes/others name thus if something should happen a Court Order does not come into play.

Sad huh?

r8
Definitly sad.

I guess I should have stated that better. They should actually be doing an official investigation before they even think of going into cell phone records. By that I mean a documented and thourough investigation of an incident, not an employer checking on an employees habits. I can't think of why they would think it should be alright.

Hopefully I said that better

Definitly sad.

I guess I should have stated that better. They should actually be doing an official investigation before they even think of going into cell phone records. By that I mean a documented and thourough investigation of an incident, not an employer checking on an employees habits. I can't think of why they would think it should be alright.

Hopefully I said that better

Excellent!

r8

Policy on when/where for usage is okay. For them to scroll through call history is an invasion of privacy. I would think a Court order would be necessary. If phones off, it's off.
Sounds like if you want privacy, keep cell phone at home.

Last edited:

Sad huh?

r8

Bruh, is the cell phone that BIG of a deal. I would hate to hear/see the lost of someone's life becasue someone was answering or not paying attention to their duties. I see it everyday people not being hands free while driving. And as soon as I come up on an accident I see the cell phone thrown around the vehicle, I'll note it for followup of a suspena of phone records (time)! :please: it's not that serious call me later!!! Just my 2 cents!!!

Policy on when/where for usage is okay. For them to scroll through call history is an invasion of privacy.
Sounds like if you want privacy, keep cell phone at home.

That is the stand now. We should not be forced to leave the cell at home and the Employer does not have the right to review your call history at any time.

r8

Bruh, is the cell phone that BIG of a deal. I would hate to hear/see the lost of someone's life becasue someone was answering or not paying attention to their duties. I see it everyday people not being hands free while driving. And as soon as I come up on an accident I see the cell phone thrown around the vehicle, I'll note it for followup of a suspena of phone records (time)! :please: it's not that serious call me later!!! Just my 2 cents!!!

Please don't read the nature of the thread wrong. I do not have a problem leaving it turned off while on duty.

I have a problem with a random no intent given search of my phone records.

r8

Can't have a camera phone on site, or your fired. Nor can you have it in the process areas, unless its explosion proof.

With the rules that are in effect...it's simple...I wouldn't bring a phone to work :thumbsup:

No Sir. When I get to my destination I have time off before returning to work.

r8

Well when you ARE on the clock, by having one in your possession you take the risk of
your privacy being invaded, or if your caught on the phone...your fired.

I would just leave it in the car or the trunk of the bike.

I'm glad I don't have this issue with my job. If your boss doesnt want you to have it, then leave it in the car or at home. Cellphone is not that important. Anyone using one for private calls is like using the work phone to call home, that's always been an issue with employers. Either way your breaking the rules. Poeple are so inconsiderate these days. You can't go out to dinner(even at fine restaurants) without a cell phone ringing. People are too lazy to put it on vibrate. Even going to church you hear them. There is a time and place for things and a cell phone at work is one of them if your boss doesn't want it.

Just my opinion.

Well when you ARE on the clock, by having one in your possession you take the risk of
your privacy being invaded, or if your caught on the phone...your fired.

I would just leave it in the car or the trunk of the bike.

I understand what you are saying but it will just not happen.

Off? Yes. Turn ON then review caller history? No.

This gives the Employer the right to "single anyone out" they choose. It could almost cross the "harassment" line depending on the situation.

r8

Appreciate all the feedback.

Amazing the different opinions on this. I will agree that cell phones are abused by some but to demand a cell phone while it is shut off then review your calling history is taking the issue to far.

r8
and that is the rub... The guys that either abuse or are too stupid to babysit their own usage...

Typical American attitude..

if no rule against it, must be ok..

rather than act responsible, they do all they can to be irresponsible and that just puts the screws to those that are smart enough to just ride along and use the phone during periods that are completely safe.. (and you know guys like this I am sure)

While I think an employer has the right (responsibility) to make sure you are doing your job correctly.. (in your case the feds breath down their necks).. I think they are leaving the door open for emergency use (or they would ban phones all together)

I deal (as most IT people do) phones with cameras are banned in a LOT of places.. Just had to get used to it.. I side with you but the bigger picture says if they do not implement the rules, they get sued later by other idiots that did not see the train coming..

(sound like how our govt works now days?)

Back