How TPMS saved me a ride, and who knows, maybe more

IG.

Registered
About to go riding, all suited up... Here is what I observed:

Nail%20in%20the%20tire%20-%20TPMS%20-%20smaller.jpg

Changing back to civilian clothing, putting her on the rear stand, and after a few seconds, here is the little bugger with a shiny head right in the middle of the tire:

Nail%20in%20the%20tire%20-%20tire%20-%20smaller.jpg

I was going to replace tires in a couple of weeks anyway as they are almost done. So, in that respect this is the best time to get a nail in the tire, but still... :banghead:

That's why I am such a big fan of TPMS. I was about to pull out of the driveway. A quick glance at the dash, and I knew I've got a problem right away.

BTW, you'd be surprised that the tire looked normal, not flat at all. In retrospect, the bike rolled with a bit more effort, but I didn't think much about that.

If the pressure is around 20-25, it's pretty much impossible to tell. That's why I think TPMS should be on every bike. Also, unlike other systems, SmarTire gives me temperature as well, and will also light the warning sign if the temperature goes too high vs. cold temperature. Too bad it's no longer being made.

I have a spare plug-in kit, and maybe will plug it just to practice.

After what happened to me a few weeks ago I am seriously considering purchasing a tpms for the bike. I had been riding in town and then decided to go for a run on some of the curves in the area. After going a through the first couple of curves the bike didn't feel quite right but didn't think much about it till I hit a tighter curve and ended up having to stand it up and ride it down through the ditch missing a road sign by inches because the rear tire went flat (which I did not know at the time because it did not look flat or low while it was on the side stand. I was able to do a repair it and get it back home.

Good story. Glad the ending was alright.

I would recommend SmarTire, but it's no longer available for bikes, unless you find a used unit or a leftover from few years back. Any TPMS is better than nothing. If you opt for a system with sensors inside oversized caps which go on valves, you gotta replace rubber valves with metal ones.

Mine saved me last week after leaving work but, how did you get a reading before you started to move to "wake up" the sensors?

That's why I am such a big fan of TPMS. I was about to pull out of the driveway. A quick glance at the dash, and I knew I've got a problem right away.

BTW, you'd be surprised that the tire looked normal, not flat at all. In retrospect, the bike rolled with a bit more effort, but I didn't think much about that.

If the pressure is around 20-25, it's pretty much impossible to tell. That's why I think TPMS should be on every bike. Also, unlike other systems, SmarTire gives me temperature as well, and will also light the warning sign if the temperature goes too high vs. cold temperature. Too bad it's no longer being made.

I have a spare plug-in kit, and maybe will plug it just to practice.

We may not agree on politics but amen to this one brother! good post. I have the one Pashnit sells, love it.

good catch...i've got the TireGard system that Pashnit sells also and it has saved my bacon a couple times :beerchug:

Great gadget but I use "ride on" instead, never have to worry about a puncture on the contact part of the tread.

Oh, and I never have to balance the tire again until replaced. Tested to supersonic speeds...

BB

Last edited by a moderator:
We may not agree on politics but amen to this one brother! good post. I have the one Pashnit sells, love it.

BTW: Those chicken strips look pretty impressive! You been leaning into it.

Thank you! Both of us want the same things out of life, and out of our governments. Let's keep this in mind. I am sure that together we can figure things out for the better. I consider the book to be merely the start of this process.

Regarding the chicken strips, I've got about 1/8"-1/4", but purposefully took the first picture at an angle in order to hide them - with only one purpose: to get a compliment like yours. Thank you! However, that would be an undeserved compliment if I kept silent, and therefore I took another picture revealing the truth:

Nail%20in%20the%20tire%20-%20wide%20view%20-%20smaller.jpg

Having said all that, there is a good reason I have more unused tire left where another rider following the same line and speed would've used up the entire width: I invented something which reduces lean angle of the bike for the same speed, or allows to go faster for the same lean angle. I am a bit reluctant to post about it, being concerned not to violate the board's policy as this may end up being a commercial product. I'd rather ask Captain first before I post anything.

Great gadget but I use "ride on" instead, never have to worry about a puncture on the contact part of the tread.

Oh, and I never have to balance the tire again until replaced. Tested to supersonic speeds...

BB

That's crazy! And after so many punctures, the front, which has a lot less air than the rear, dropped to only 20psi! Very impressive. I have to learn more about this...

I would be interested in different scenario. The thing is that most of the time a tire would pick up a nail or a screw which seals the tire, so the leak is very slow. For example, the leak I got was so slow that it went down from 35 psi to 13 psi in more than a week. So, I would be interested in how this product works with nail/screw embedded in a tire.

Also, if it seals the puncture, and I am not aware of its existence, I will be riding pretty hard completely unaware - however, I really would like to know there is a puncture. There is a chance the nail/screw falls out later on. As shown, the puncture would still seal. Is it always working as in the demo? You mentioned that there was no need to re-balance, so that's good, although I don't quite understand how.

Does this creates a mess inside the tire? Does it impede tire removal process? No matter what doubts, the demo is very impressive. :thumbsup:

look into it, product is in use over 100 000 bikes over last 10 years. Very poorly marketed though.

Your leak was too small to lose pressure in my experience. It would have sealed it if it took a week to lose the 20 pounds and you would see the yellow goop in the tire tread.

It is organic and wipes off the rim when you replace the tire. refill back to spec and voila, instant tire repair and balancing.

Dynamic balancing like the tire beads only better.

I had to find a balancing solution for my front and wheel weights will not work on my rim.

That is how I came to the product.

Mine saved me last week after leaving work but, how did you get a reading before you started to move to "wake up" the sensors?

Excellent question! I am backing up the bike out of the garage, really slowly, like 0.3 mph, but quite often this is enough to trigger one or both sensors. Otherwise, I would've noticed a few seconds after I started moving.

Hey Busabim, I got a silly question: when I am dropping tire pressure by pressing on the valve and releasing some air, wouldn't this cause the sealant to seal the valve itself, effectively damaging it? How can the sealant "know" the difference between the air escaping through the hole or through the valve?:whistle:

I think the goop only migrates to the outside of the tire when it is rolling. Therefor letting air while stopped would not necessarily goop the valve stem.

So, I finally got the 190/55, and compared it with 190/50. The 55 is 3-5 mm more narrow, and the inside rim diameter is also about 5 mm smaller - I hope I won't have issues putting it on. It is also noticeably taller than the 50 - outside radius is about 10 mm more, so when tires are placed side by side, the 55 is about 20 mm taller. As to the profile comparison, as Chinese saying goes - 'A picture is worth a thousand words'. I would go further: animation is worth a few thousand words...

BT016-190-50-ZR17%20vs%20BT016-190-55-ZR17.gif

Now, with all that power I've got, the flat spot may develop very quickly.... unless I drop the pressure to low 30's.

BTW, I was studying the stickers on both tires, and noticed an interesting warning: When setting the bead, do not exceed 57 psi. In my experience, the bead sets anywhere between 30-45psi, but it's nice to know that even at 50 psi we are still safe.

I was using Pilot 2CTs but 50 and 55 went on no problem (monkeys at a shop did it while I watched). The "crest" goes quickly on the 55s. Also as it wears the turn in point where you sort of pass over that flat crest is very noticeable IMHO. But they do give the bike a more happy to turn feel. With the 1" risers on, I felt I lost too much of the stability in normal street riding, but for really aggressive twisters or track guys the 55 is the way to go.

that's how I discovered my last problem.

Back