How to tell what year ECM/engine I have, HELP

chillcat34433

Registered
I've been surprised with a few things regarding my '99' busa. I wanted to get a power commander but don't want to buy wrong one. Very importantly but how can I tell what year ecm I have on my bike? I don't want to take a chance and find out the setup was changed out and at this point its very likely it may have been done so. I know 99-01 ecm is differ than 02+, anything to look for to figure this out?

I would roll up to my dealer when I was in the area, but that's me and my dealer. Hopefully an expert will be along soon.

Looking through a manual now. Thought I'd make mention of a couple things I've discovered so far.
1) The fuel system is an 02+ (fuel tank, pump etc)
2) Found out the turn signal housing is from an 02+ (when replacing with chrome)

So with those 2 discoveries, I can only assume the ecm is not the original, unless someone has some idea on what to look for without extensive research. Thanks

the 99-00 ECM is different from the 01, which is different from the 02-07

99-00 ecm will be thick throughout the body, where as 02-07 will be thick by the plugs, and taper down to a thinner body.

is your fuel pump plug a brown 4 wire plug?

is the main injector harness plug a square black plug, or a round white plug?

if it's a square black plug, i have the power commander you need.

I'm sorry for the late reply, but mine sounds like the 02+ since u mentioned "thicker by plugs and thinning out" I assumed all busa ecms were that design. I don't know what kinda plug it has, bike has been in shop last couple weeks, picking it up tomor :) I will def check and get back with you. Is it the PC 3, if I get a power commander it will def be pc3 or even 5.

Back