how to take off smoked spray on headlight?

Busa Phil

Registered
I just bought a 1998 Honda Superhawk with 22k on it for $1400 bucks! This is in addition to my 07 Busa. The bike is almost mint except for that the previous owner put this translucent black/smoked spray on the headlights ???, indicators, and taillight. I could almost but not really live with the indicators and taillight having this s*** on it but the headlight's effectiveness is seriously compromised. It emits hardly any light with the high beams on. So, I need to try to remove it or else buy a new headlight assy. I know that straight paint thinner will not work because it will eat into the plastic. I'm not sure if there is another substance/chemical that would work. The only other option I can think of it to just wet sand the crap out of it until it comes off. If the headlight is slightly scuffed it won't be the end of the world as long as it works and I can see in the dark. Any suggestions? Has anyone dealt with removing this stuff before?

Thanks for your help

-Phil

Used to do it to customers all the time at the car audio place. We needed we would clear it off with rubbing alcohol. But that was shortly after application. Once cured I'm not sure if it would work or not. Maybe try it on a little corner section or on a over sprayed side.

As a last resort you could try and sand it off with 2500 or 3000 grit paper. This may take a while, but will work if you do not want to buy a new light assembly.

yeah i'm going to sand it. i might see if there is an attachment that I can buy for my dremmel to sand it off. otherwise, i'll do it by hand.

You could try one of those headlight restoration kits. The consist of a series of polishing compounds. You could try buffing the headlight cover with an automotive rubbing compound then switch to a polishing grit.

As a last resort you could try and sand it off with 2500 or 3000 grit paper. This may take a while, but will work if you do not want to buy a new light assembly.

And finish off with this stuff...... Have used it on several applications and works well..

good luck:thumbsup:

plastix.jpg

I don't know what the smoke spray is made of? is it a spray on film? If so windex or any kind of amonia may be of good use
Posted via Mobile Device

Plexiglass polish(hard stick kind not liquid) and a buffing wheel on a slow speed drill .
It will look like new . We used to use it on old faded plastic headlights at the store and when done it comes out perfect !

so pretty much i should sand the hard black stuff off with 2500 - 3000 grit sand paper and then polish using something like plexiglass polish or rubbing compound.

I would think sandpaper or rubbing compound will only make it worse . The compound has silicates in it that will scratch and well the sandpaper will obv do same .
Find a stick of plexiglas polish from someone who sells lexan and rub it on a buffing wheel . They will have the wheel at same place . Try this . It should clear it right up .

If it's the nightshades spray form vht, you'll have to wet sand it off, then polish the lens.

Had to do this to salvage a set of tail lights once. Not fun.

If it's the nightshades spray form vht, you'll have to wet sand it off, then polish the lens.

Had to do this to salvage a set of tail lights once. Not fun.

What he said. It's nightshade spay paint. I used a light coat and my headlight was to dark at night. Wet sanded the crap out of it and it came out like new. Did not require clear coat. Gonna redo it with Luminx. Did luminx on the 09 Gixxer 600 with HID's and came out excellent.

how do i frost my front indicators to be smoke tint, what can i use? My bike is in the spray shop being done in matte black?
any idea's to do this myself

had the same problem tried everthing ( paint thinner, rubbing compound, goof off & headlight restoration kit) no luck finally wet sanded with 600 then recleared them now they look as good as new

what do you mean by recleared them? what did you do and what did you use?

i started the process tonight. i used this stuff I found at home depot first called "motsenbocker's life off 4. it is a water-based & biodegradable acrylic, enamel, and spray paint remover. it softened the stuff up a lot, and yes, it definitely is the nightshade spray paint. then i took a 5" pocket knife and lightly scraped as much as i could off. then i wet sanded with 800 grit sand paper. then repeated twice and dried the inside of the housing with a hair dryer. i obviously have very fine scratches all over from sanding. i'm going to go to the hardware store now to look for something to polish the cover with.

Back