How to Run a Quarter Mile

HiYaBruceA

Registered
What the best advice for running a fast quarter mile with stock gearing on my '04 busa. It has the Brock/Hindle Gen3 street megaphone with pciiir, pair removed, airbox mod, and TRE.

Confirm that I should remove the TRE. Also, at what rpm's should I shift into each gear? and how hard should I twist the throttle? What gear should I be in at the end.

Don't know that you'll get much faster with stock gearing...The TRE will affect your time by as much as +2/10's, so yeah it would have to go if it were on my bike...You should be shifting just before redline...Twist the thottle WTFO...I have never run the 1/4 but I would imagine that you would either be at the top of 4th or just swapping to 5th...Don't know about the megaphone always thought that sort of exhaust was designed for a built motor...

TRE may slow you down but not by much.

get to WFO as soon as possible. If you can as soon as you launch, make sure you're at WIDE OPEN and use your clutch to adjust how fast you accelerate.

you use you clutch to shift. back off the gas ever so slightly while applying pressure on the gear shift and it will go into the next gear and back to wipe open. If you really want to have the fastest available shifting you need to get an air shifter, whether it be a normal airtank one or a CO2 one.

Run the rpms as high as possible. I shift around 10,500(indicated) and by the time I acutally get the shift started and done its almost hitting the limiter.

have fun.
cool.gif

errr.. oops

<!--EDIT|pure_ego
Reason for Edit: "errr.. wrong thread.. thought I was replying to something el"|1110942407 -->

busa_06.jpg

Thanks guys,

I hear what you're saying except I got acronymed on WTFO and WTO. WTF do WTFO and WTO mean?

Don't apologize, pure_ego, that is one beautiful paing scheme. How did you come up with that?

WTFO + Wide the fuk open
smile.gif
. When i ran the quater i was banging the limiter in third at 134 mph when i crossed, should have shifted to forth
blush.gif
. Alos launch with your foot set in the shifter bracket cause the bike pulls extremly hard and its a pain to try and move your foot to shift while the bikes going, i found myself hittin the limiter in first also
blush.gif
. Other than that just keep shifting and opeingin the throttle. You'll know your doing it right when you get a small wheelie in second
smile.gif
. Good luck

blush.gif

smile.gif

wot = wipe open throttle

wtf = what the fuk (don't know where you saw this one)
laugh.gif

Lower it for sure!!and at least -1 in the front sprocket..And a TRE will slow you down for aure in the 1/4 I tested that fact Myself..I went much faster Ets and 60 foots with it removed..But It can also remove your map if you take it out,so store in in Your pc if you plan on taking it out..

And try to be as smooth as possible during the run and tuck down real good and get over the front as much as possible while launching..and DONT use the clutch to shift..just let off the throttle a little while pulling up on the shifter and also be sure to get as close to redline without out hitting the rev liomiter in every gear..1st to 2nd really Importiant..

Throttle how much should Yountwist it??LOL...I would say WIDE OPEN ASAP!!
biggrin.gif

Good luck and have fun!!if You don't do well just dont sweat it and keep going..it will all come to you sooner or later!!

I have found that if you plan to run through to quarter often then have your bike lower. I lowered my front with a lowering tree and straps. Also I used a dog bone on the rear.

I also use a air shifter (this allows you to launch with both feet on the ground and shifter with trottle wide open) with a much faster shift.

I also use a Raptor Performance shift light. I have it set at 10400 rpm's and it works like a charm.

take this for what it is worth,as i have not run my bike yet,but i dont understand how a tre could hurt et,its just adding timing,i can understand if you mean it is harder to control,with a short wheelbase bike,and you are backing off to keep the front down,then et and mph will suffer,maybe i am all wrong,please explain

I'll have to defer to a more technical poster for reasons why the TRE slows quarter mile performance....it's a mystery to me too, but generally espoused on this site by numerous people far more technically qualified than I.

I've tried shifting without engaging the clutch and I don't like it...sometimes the damn thing won't go into the next gear. I have good results backing off the throttle ever so slightly and clutching very quickly. But I'll practice the no clutch method.

Question: what happens on the Busa when you hit the rev limiter? On my Porsche 944 it shut the damn engine off, screwing me up on the hairpin turn at Nelson Ledges. Does the Busa shut off?

I'll have to defer to a more technical poster for reasons why the TRE slows quarter mile performance....it's a mystery to me too, but generally espoused on this site by numerous people far more technically qualified than I.

I've tried shifting without engaging the clutch and I don't like it...sometimes the damn thing won't go into the next gear. I have good results backing off the throttle ever so slightly and clutching very quickly. But I'll practice the no clutch method.

Question: what happens on the Busa when you hit the rev limiter? On my Porsche 944 it shut the damn engine off, screwing me up on the hairpin turn at Nelson Ledges. Does the Busa shut off?
I had the same result with the TRE...It effected my 1/8th mile time by 2/10's so it is gone...I would think that although it smooths the response of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears that since it tricks the bike into a 5th gear fueling that the lower gears can't/or don't burn the extra fuel off as efficiently thus decreasing the power some what...If that makes any kind of sense...

Can't get a quicker shift than a mechanical one...

At the limiter the bikes just stops pulling...It want die on you...

Back