How to ride wheelies

The Oracle

Registered
I have noticed many posts asking about riding wheelies (how to, etc.)

I ran across this site today: http://www.ononewheel.com/

It is a 1 day class (created by Keith Code) designed to teach you how to wheelie safely.

Pretty cool! Have any of you gone or heard of this? If they bring a class out this way, I would go.

Why pay the money when we have experts here that can teach us how to do it safe.  I have done wheelies on dirt bikes and my sled but never on a huge bike like ours.

Just an idea.<span style='color:orange'></span>

Why pay the money when we have experts here that can teach us how to do it safe.  I have done wheelies on dirt bikes and my sled but never on a huge bike like ours.

Just an idea.
I have already ridden a couple of wheelies on the bus... Nothing spectacular and most were by accident.

The class just looked interesting... Not to mention a safer environment, since the bike you ride has the trailing bar. BTW - the bar does not stop you from looping by itself. It waits till you are close to looping then applies slight rear brake pressure. If you continue to climb, it turns two (of the four cylinders) off, which essentially makes it impossible to loop it.

I think it is a cool concept, and a fun/safe way to learn and even improve.

I only brought it up because there are many posts from people wanting help and advice about wheelies. Sure, you can get very good advice here... But, to have professionals there with you showing you precisely what to do (and when). Not to mention the "loop-safe" bike... Plus in a controlled environment. It just looks like a gud class to me.

My $.02

Point well taken. I guess I looked at the link and saw the cost and that all the classes were in CA I made my comment. I think your right, it's always better to have someone professional teach you what you want to learn.

The course thing sounds kinda interesting, but the Busa wheelies with ease.
Start with small roll-on wheelies till ya get the hang of keepin it high.
Just leave from a stop, get out about 30 feet or so and pull the throttle hard, you'll feel the front lift off straight away, make sure your sitting position is comfortable enough so that you feel you have good control of the bike.
I usually put my butt back against the hump and lean forward a hair so I don't slide around.
Make sure you're ready to let off the throttle right quick when things get a little to verticle for your liking, and be sure and hold the bars nice and straight so that when ya come back down the bike doesn't do the waddle (wiggle all over).
This is the system that worked best for me, just be sure and start small, don't try and shift to second till you get the hang of riding it out in 1st nicely.

I think this would be blast, especially getting to abuse someone elses stuff for a day.  It would be fun, and allot less expensive than the potential hazards and tickets you face learning them on the street.   Though I have to agree the Busa comes up real nice and easy.   Something like this would help my confidence in getting more altitude.

Back