How to remove water pump? Seems "stuck" ...

twvette

Registered
I am removing it to do the the electric water pump and install the block off for the water pump. I got the hoses and the water pump cover off. Also removed the 10mm bolt in the center of the "fan blades". Trying to pull on the back plate assuming the rest of the water pump slides out and it is not budging at all. Any ideas what to try?

Nevermind ... I got it. Man, would not budge at all pulling on it. I put the cover back on with the two phillips head bolts and decided to tap it with a rubber mallet. Tapped it lightly to try and spin/turn it and it free'd up easily and then pulled out with ease.

I noticed in the Service Manual it says to also drain the oil when removing the water pump. Why? Do I really need to do this?

Service manual says many things...... like replace the valve cover gasket if you remove it "NO MATTER WHAT"...... just make sure you dont get any gunk in the hole. clean it out before plugging it.

I get it now. Didnt make sense to me as mine sits level in my four wheel application so unless overfilled with oil it is not going to come out the water pump hole unless its overfilled. But, if you have a two wheeler on the kickstand leaning to the left you could easily loose some oil/create a mess based on oil level.

Back