How to remove my rear tire w/out a stand P-2 w/Pic

snaggletooth

Registered
First off, thanks to all for the help. Your excellent ideas got my Busa up and running again. I just paid about $180 for a new tire, mounted and balanced. It would have been a lot more if I brought the bike in and not just the tire and rim.

Without your help I couldn't of aforded to this tire change right now. Not to mention the added price I could have paid for a good sport bike stand and spindles. I will eventually get the stand set and spindles but that will be a little further down the road. I plan to have them before my front tire needs a change.

I used the "rod through the swing arm pivot axle method" that was sudjested to hold the rear tire/rim off of the ground. My friend gave me a badly bent rod from his portable basketball hoop stand and asked me if I could straighten it for him. It is hardened steel and was bent so bad that I knew I couldn't get it as straight as he needed. I also knew that I could get it straight enough for my needs.
laugh.gif
I happily took the rod from him and told him that I would give it my best shot. Even with a hot torch and lots of vice work and hammering It never got good enough for his use but it was fine for my use.

First I lossend the axle nut to avoid excess pressure on the rod while it held the bike off of the ground(thank's Herc). Then I put the rod through the swing arm axle and possitioned my jackstand close by each end of the rod.

With the kickstand down, I used a floor jack placed under the axle nut (right side)and held the bike for safety while my son slowly jacked it up. Once it was lifted a few inches higher I placed the jackstand under the rod and lowered the jack. I was unable to lift it at the bottom of the right spool mount because the caliper was in the way.

On the left side I placed the jack under the spool mount to lift it. Again, I placed the jackstand under the rod after it was a little higher than the right side. I continued to switch back and forth untill my jack stands were as high as they would go.

At this time I was concerned that the ass end was lifted enough to get the rim off with a flat tire but may not be high enough to put the rim back on with a new inflated tire. To be on the safe side I continued the left then right lifting and put wood bocks under the jackstands to get it a little higher off of the ground.

You guy's were right, the bike was super stable using this method! Here are some pic's of how I did it. In the picture it doesn't look that safe lifting with the floor jack under the axle nut but it felt very solid. I would do it this way again in a heart beat but by then I'll have a set of super cool sport bike lifting stands.

I also included a pic of what tires I like to use. My comute is 120 miles round trip. I square off soft sicky tires super quick. I have found these tires to be the best balance of milage vs traction for my needs.  

Thanks again, S/T.  
View attachment 1310048
busajackonL-side100_0158.jpg

Busatireoff100_0156.jpg

busajackstandL-side100_0153.jpg

BattleAxeTire100_0147.jpg

Splurge a little today... <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-T-Rex-stands-rear-front-triple-tree-Red_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10066QQihZ01
9QQitemZ290208588272QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">CLICK</a>

If one is going to do something like this, wouldn't it be easier/safer to take off the belly wing and use the jack on the metal bracket?

Not being a smartazz, just wandering if it's possible?

If one is going to do something like this, wouldn't it be easier/safer to take off the belly wing and use the jack on the metal bracket?

Not being a smartazz, just wandering if it's possible?
Absatively NOT! The wing bracket will fold rather easily. Trust me, I found this out the hard way.

Lifting the rear end at the belly wing bracket was my first plan. Thank you fsusux for stopping me from doing that.

TXBusa05LE, thoes are the stands that I have my eye on.

Great on you for ingenuity, but I think I would try and hit up the sponsors for a rear stand...

Back