How to rebuild your calipers

The biggest problem was just getting it to pump fluid to the calipers. Once it got there, it was no big deal... Finally ended up breaking the lines loose at the caliper, that seemed to do the trick

Thanks for the write up. I have both calipers sticking and came here to find out how to do it. pictures are always nice.

Another trick to help get the air out of the lines is to tie the lever back to the grip overnite, and the air tends to migrate to the top. When you let the lever loose, it sucks the bubble through the master cyl and into the res, where is dissapates

thanks for the write up, im doing the same to mine right now and painting them also. I used compressed air to get my pistons out but im also replacing my seals, expensive little guys too I think 80 bucks for the set..

syringe full of brake fluid with a hose on the end of the syringe. put the free end onto the bleeder and push the brake fluid up the line slowly. make sure you have the resevoir cover off. just another way to bleed brakes

or you could use speed bleeders just hook the tube to them and open and just pump away dont have to close them till you are done

syringe full of brake fluid with a hose on the end of the syringe. put the free end onto the bleeder and push the brake fluid up the line slowly. make sure you have the resevoir cover off. just another way to bleed brakes

I like that idea and may have to see if I can get my wife to bring one home from the Vet where she works! It makes sense

I have searched and can not easily find someone to sell me the rebuild kits. Can someone point me to a sponsor etc that can sell me the rebuild kits for a 00 Busa front calipers please?

PS I am also looking for a cush drive replacement set. Mine is pretty loose and beat up after about 70K

I have searched and can not easily find someone to sell me the rebuild kits. Can someone point me to a sponsor etc that can sell me the rebuild kits for a 00 Busa front calipers please?

PS I am also looking for a cush drive replacement set. Mine is pretty loose and beat up after about 70K

one of the sponsors here Justin @ honda east toledo 1-877-437-1631, he should be able to get you what u need.

They make a silicon brake friendly assembly lube for caliper seals still dont they??Also I thought you are supposed to use de-natured alcohol so it doesnt leave any residue behind.Good sticky though.Also can you use air to pop the pistons out??I do with car calipers normally.Where to buy new seals for these??

Just an update:

I have done several sets of these calipers, and have not replaced the seals one time. NEVER had one leak, or had a problem. But they were never leaking to begin with.

ALSO: I guess some people just keep stuff cleaner than other people, because I just finished a set on a bike that was 4 years older, but had less miles. When I pulled the seals out, I had to take my dental pick and scrape all the crud and corrosion out from behind the seals. Scrape, blow it out, wash, scrape, blow, and repeat:laugh: If yours are not spotless then you will need to get them that way!

if i am getting a ridiculous amount of brake dust from a couple hr ride would it be from a sticking caliper or bad master? also can i just send you my calipers to clean ludicrous speed?:laugh::laugh:

if i am getting a ridiculous amount of brake dust from a couple hr ride would it be from a sticking caliper or bad master? also can i just send you my calipers to clean ludicrous speed?:laugh::laugh:

Yes, that could cause lots of dust. It will put pressure on the pad and hold it against the rotor.

If you are serious about me taking them apart, PM me and we could work something out. Should only take a day or so to turn them around!

Last year I pulled my front calipers to install new pads. When I did, one pad on one side was worn significantly more than the other in the same caliper. At this point I knew I had a sticky or stuck piston. I sprayed it really well with brake cleaner and pressed them all the way back in, but knew that this was just a temp fix.

So this winter I pulled the calipers off, and pulled them apart and gave em a good cleaning. Not that hard to do, and I took a few pics along the way.

This is not a difficult job, but it is extremely important that you take your time and inspect everything really closely. It is not even required that you replace the seals on the pistons, unless you have a leak, or damage one.

A friend that guided me through this has done dozens of sets of calipers and never had to replace a single seal.........

So anyway, onto the good stuff:thumbsup:

Do you recall how long it took?

I just did this to my 2000. The calipers weren't too dirty but there was clearly shmutz on the pistons. It also took 120 psi to get them out of the caliper. To be safe I rig the caliper half in my vice using a rag to prevent scuffing, and to also catch the pistons from flying across the room.

I first learned about this issue on Harleys. I had an 04 Ultra Classic that had really spongy brakes. I'd bleed them til I was blue in the face and it would always quickly return. Then when I was replacing the pads with EBC HH pads I noticed a LOT of crud around the pistons. Turns out half the caliper had stuck pistons. I used a vice to press them in a bit to break the stuck, then compressed air to get them out. Removed seals, cleaned everything, reassembled and the brakes were like new again.

It's weird how a stuck piston will increase lever travel and spongyness.

Back