How To Polish yourself! Bling Bling Busa's

Hey I was just wondering if anyone here has polished their own frames and various parts! I was thinking of doing it but I just need tips on how to do it, or the best ways, and also what you used. Obviously its a big pain in the ass, but im hoping If i take my time and really do it right it will turn out A-OKAY! I have a heated garage and some time on my hands! Its winter here so its 12 degrees outside. Just a little to cold to ride now!

Readin the title........ Why would I want to polish myself?

rock.gif

Here's a link to another thread that showed the steps involved in polishing. It is a lot of work, but you can do it yourself. If you get in a hurry, it will not look right.

Make sure you wear a respirator, or dustmask while drysanding. Once the dust is in your lungs, it will not come out.

Good luck with your project. Where are you at in Wisconsin? I'm in Kenosha (South of Milwaukee).

Here's a link to another thread that showed the steps involved in polishing.  It is a lot of work, but you can do it yourself.  If you get in a hurry, it will not look right.

Make sure you wear a respirator, or dustmask while drysanding.  Once the dust is in your lungs, it will not come out.

Good luck with your project.  Where are you at in Wisconsin?  I'm in Kenosha (South of Milwaukee).
Yeah Im familiar with your area! I live in Janesville! Everyone knows where thats at... lol I think im going to give this polishin a try! maybe in an area u dont see to make sure its going to turn out! Thats my whole problem though.. im a detail freak and i wont do it unless i do it right and it looks good!

You've got some decent riding areas around you right around Madison. We'll have to get together whenever this place thaws out.

Just use a water based marker and outline an area on the frame that's showing, then test a spot that's NOT in that area. I'm like you...I don't want to start it unless I know how it's going to end up.

biggrin.gif

Check dis out for some info on polishing a frame. Don't click the link if you're offended by foul language and twisted humor though. It's not presented in the format mandated by this forum. Still good info, though. I hope to put together something similar when I do my frame. And yes, I have decided to do it.
wink.gif

I've polished a couple of bikes...If the info is the threads doesn't cover everything you think you need to know...PM...The most recent pics of my bike are in the Turbo section under "The Anticipation Is Killing Me..."
evil.gif

Yeah I posted on that website and someone gave me the same link! That tutorial is really good! Im almost having second thoughts on this! Im not really concerned about the time consuming duty and the hard work... but mostly on the finial outcome! its not like it can just click my heels three times and it will go back to normal!

<!--EDIT|h22accordturbo94
Reason for Edit: None given...|1072030965 -->

You're right, there's no turnin' back once you start and you could very well ruin your frame. Best case scenario is that you realize after you've started that you can't do it and you get an experienced polisher to finish it. Worst case scenario, you ruin the frame doing it wrong and either roll with a crappy lookin' frame or you end up buying a replacement frame. Can you say OUCH $$$$$$ ?
rock.gif

That's why I highly recommend building your polishing skills on something a little less important and a LOT less expensive. Polishing is fairly easy, but it's also fairly easy to screw up. Just food for thought...

Back