How to mount my Tom Tom XL so it won't fall off or get wet in the rain

Dr. Gonzo

Registered
So I'm thinking of doing the IBA SaddleSore 1000 in the next couple weeks and would like to mount my craptacular Tom Tom GPS on my bike. I see they've got a bunch of 'water proof' cycle cases on ebay for $20 or so that have handlebar mounts. None look like they'll fit in the limited amount of bar space on my 2007. I've looked at a ton of other mounts, but they all look like they're for true cycle GPSs. I do have the windshield (car) suction cup mount that came with the Tom Tom, but I have no faith in it either it staying on the mount on bumpy roads or the mount actually sticking to the windshield.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to mount this thing so it won't croak out first time it rains or fall off the bike?

My fallback is to put it in the clear part of my tank bag, but the angle is bad so it's almost unreadable in the sun.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gonz

steering stem mount, velcro back

I have couple left in stock.

working on your other package

Hmm... doesn't solve the weather problem as much unless I rig something with one of the weather proof cases I suppose.

Assume I can angle the plate as needed to get the right angle? How much you get for one?

Thx,
Gonz

What i do is a ziplock sandwich bag and small zip tie,you can see through it and still use it.

I have a stem stand and use a zip lock by just cutting a slit in the one side then sliding it over my phone and sealing it . cuts on the botttom and no problems so far.

If its not a waterproof device, you wont be able to do much except remove it in the rain or cover with a baggie. My TomTom saw a few years of rain before it crapped out. I usually removed it in heavy rain and put it in my tank bag.

My wife bought me a rain proof case with a ram that my TomTom fits in with a little pass thru opening that the cable runs through at the bottom. She's not here so i can't help you at this time. The only markings on it are "RAM" . I think she paid 40 bucks. I'll see if she can help out and post that info for ya.

Not happy with my TomTom yet.

I know it's slightly off topic, but I had Tom-Tom a while back, and it went cabum. I called it Dum-Dum. Never again I'll get this brand. Have regular Magellan now.

BTW, I am using a stem mount.

Back