How to motivate one self?

GMbusa

Orange is the fastest
Donating Member
Registered
I was psyched to join the gym. That's what I've been wanting to do for the last couple months.  Well, I went one time and all my enthusiasm has went byebye..  Over the lasat 2 months I think I've went maybe less than 10 times.

For the life of me I can get motivated to go and workout. I know all the benefits of doing so, but there's like a Stop sign in my head that just says no. Yet I know I should be there.  

Do I force myself and hope I commit?   Maybe the fact of me being what I feel as the only fat dude there doesn't help.  This is Gold's Gym I'm talking about.

It's hard to stay motivated. You just have to find a routine that you think is fun and a routine with your home life that is as normal as taking a shower. It is all about consitancy in the begining

First off, screw everyone else.

I lift at home, but when I have gone to gyms and I see people out of shape, over weight etc I think it is awesome.

None of us are perfect and we can ALL be in better shape.

And is what people think about you more important than your health? is it more important than feeling better about yourself?

The bottom line is you need to be happy with yourself. Dont go to the gym for anyone else but yourself. and dont NOT go to the gym for anyone else but yourself.

If you went one time did you work out real hard and were sore for a few days to a weel afterwards?

I have seen that happen to people, they are motivated to go, and motivated to workout and the first time at the gym they push themselves so hard they cant get out of bed the next day.

So when they finally can move in a few weeks, their mind is telling them "NO WAY!!!!"

do this Paul, go to the gym when it is least crowded, and then when you go start off slow. Maybe go do some light bench, then after a few light sets of bench go do some ab routine. Dont do ANYTHING that hurts or makes you sore for the first month.

Then after the ab routine go jump on the treadmil for about 10 minutes and just walk.

Just do this routine every couple of days, dont spend more than 30 minutes in the gym maybe three times a week to start off with.

What you need to do is get into the habbit of going, get used to going on a regular basis and take it slow. after about a month then maybe start going 4 days a week. and increase your time to 45 minute sessions.

As I said, the most important thing it to establish a routine, once you establish a routine of going, increasing how often you go, how much weight you push, how long you run is easy. just go.

And again as far as anyone else goes, honestly most people dont care what you are doing, they are worried about themselves. So just worry about yourself..

It is a lifestyle change, just do it.... you will be glad you did
biggrin.gif
thumb_up.gif

I would skip the gym and just eat right(or better) and walk. Get your heart rate up for a 1/2 hour. I think thats all any normal person needs.

Good thing is I am going for me, no one else. I have a goal to one day be able to buy a one-piece set of racing leathers and have them fit the way they should. The thing that sucks is that this is the second time I'm going through the commitment deal. Back in 1998 I went enough to just start to make it a regular thing. Then in 99' is when I damaged my heart and folded my left leg sideways at the knee. They happened 2 months apart.

The doctor told me to stay clear of ANY gym for atleast a year and a half. After that time I had no disire to continue working out.

Now, I need to. Bad. For health mainly. Plus, I want to bulk up alittle.

This has helped. I'm gonna head to the gym this afternoon. Right after my bigmack supersize meal....... Just kidding.
firedevil.gif

I lift at home too, I had enough of Gyms... Also if the Gym doesnt fit your personality , try some martial arts . They usually will let you take classes for a week or 2 too see if you like it...( At least a good quality school will... Good-luck

How's this for motivation...since we can all see you are still online. Log off (the internet will get by with out you for 40 minutes) walk out your front door and walk as fast as you can for 15 minutes turn around and come back. You heart will love it!
hello.gif

try some martial arts
I agree....I got burnt out on the weights and gym myself. Now I do a cross-fit routine in the morning and hand-to-hand in the evening....it's fun and that's the key I think. Getting started is going to be tough but once those first two weeks are gone you should see a change. It really is a life style change so you have to embrace the initial soreness and discomfort. But once you bench your body weight or meet some other goal you'll be hooked. Another strategy is to get a workout partner and try to get one that's worse off than you so you can be the one egging him/her on. Good luck and have fun.

I can call you a lard azz .... it seems to have worked for Projekt.... now he never talks to me
sadnews.gif

It's all what motivates YOU..... go ahead and buy that one piece racing suit..... Actually I have a pair of leather pants I'd LOVE to fit into one day.. but the largest size they make is 3 sizes too small for me.. So I bought then and have them hung in a prominant spot.. and that is what gets me on the treadmill everyday.... working up to running 15 miles a week... right now I'm at a walk/ jog 9 miles.

Sounds like your mind is in the right place. I agree with thrasher--start off slow and establish the routine. Once you start seeing some familiar faces there, it'll become more comfortable. Good luck
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif
It always helped me if I had someone to w.o. with. Helps to keep me motivated and pushed. Although you dont need pushed to start just encouragement.

unless ur rich, think of how much money you are spending each month... if that doesnt motivate you, consider the yearly cost. 10-20/month is 120-240/year ... what part can you buy for that?
rock.gif
More over, what can you do with the wife with that money?
cool.gif
money is a great motivator, either get your anus in the gym or cancel the membership and continue on with whatever.

For me, once I got started it was easy, you really just need to see some success and loss, once you get that going will be eassssy
beerchug.gif

If you figure this out, call me... I am hopeless...

I have a sure fire "motivation" system but have so far been unable to get it going...

3 Times a week this gorgeous 20 something comes bangs on the door and if I catch her, i can keep her (as long as I want).... figure if that does not get you out moving, you are dead...

only problem is finding the 20 something to play along... (guess they are afraid i will eventually catch them?) NOT......

my personal opinion only. people either love it and do it or they dont. ask anyone whos seriously into it. i guarantee they loved it from the very first day they moved some iron. obviously the exception is when some people start to age or become very out of shape and that becomes their motivation.

Get Your AS. Kicked in a BAR Fight with a Guy Your Size and 10 Years older than you....

That is ALL the MOTIVATION I NEED !
SHOCKED.gif

Get Your AS. Kicked in a BAR Fight with a Guy Your Size and 10 Years older than you....

That is ALL the MOTIVATION I NEED !    
SHOCKED.gif
any guy 10 years older than me in a bar will be in a wheel chair...
Iam 38 and He Sucker Punched Me....But that's another Story  
boxing.gif
never let your guard down...especially in a bar  
all_coholic.gif
His Friend Pulled me by the Shoulder and I (Like a DUMBAZZ) Turned my Head
SHOCKED.gif

SHOCKED.gif

Back